Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions, as I am looking in to replacing the stock component speakers in my 2013 Accord Touring. I'm currently looking at the Polk DB6501's and want to know if I need speaker adapter rings to mount the new speakers. If so, where's the best place to buy them? I'm planning on getting the wire harnesses for the new speakers. Maybe down the road I will add an amp, replace the back speakers and upgrade the subwoofer. Can you offer any suggestions? This is a daily driver, so I don't want to lose any trunk space, by putting a ported/bandpass box in there! I not looking to rattle my neighbors windows, but want good sound! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just Google them, there are many places you can buy them from. If you are concerned about their warranty, then verify that who you order them from is an authorized Polk reseller. I got mine thru Amazon, but it seems the price is now a bit higher, so probably Crutchfield would be a good place (and a Polk reseller too), plus they offer any tech help you require.
Since my Sport didn't come with tweeters & a crossover, I just wired mine to existing front door speaker wire, and got the tweeter panels to mount the tweeters into. They drop in perfectly, also I don't think that you would need adapters for the woofers, at least I didn't (I had a local shop do my install, as I was leery of messing up the door panels myself.
Since the Touring see,s to have tweeters (and a crossover to go with) this may pose a more complicated install, due to having to get the right crossover match between the aftermarket tweets & woofers. Perhaps someone who owns a Touring & has done this can chime in.
I do really like the speakers, they made quite an improvement in my car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information!

Just Google them, there are many places you can buy them from. If you are concerned about their warranty, then verify that who you order them from is an authorized Polk reseller. I got mine thru Amazon, but it seems the price is now a bit higher, so probably Crutchfield would be a good place (and a Polk reseller too), plus they offer any tech help you require.
Since my Sport didn't come with tweeters & a crossover, I just wired mine to existing front door speaker wire, and got the tweeter panels to mount the tweeters into. They drop in perfectly, also I don't think that you would need adapters for the woofers, at least I didn't (I had a local shop do my install, as I was leery of messing up the door panels myself.
Since the Touring see,s to have tweeters (and a crossover to go with) this may pose a more complicated install, due to having to get the right crossover match between the aftermarket tweets & woofers. Perhaps someone who owns a Touring & has done this can chime in.
I do really like the speakers, they made quite an improvement in my car.
Anyone with a "Touring" model care to chime in? Thanks!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Those are 4ohm speakers. I would use caution if you don't plan to add an amp because you are going to lose a lot of volume with a big loss of midbass especially. May give perceived difference as sounding worse than the stock speakers. Be warned. Add an amp and you'll have no problem though.

And just a hint: the stock amp has built-in active crossovers so you don't want to use the supplied crossover module with the speaker set you purchase. Just wire the speakers in as they have filtered signals from the stock amp/active crossover unit. If you just tap the woofer line and try to attach the crossover for the tweeter feed it's going to sound very bad.

The brackets are just the standard accord/civic with the two tabs and single screw. May or may not fit in the basket. The hole is a bit odd with 6.5's so you may have to trim down with a jigsaw. Anytime you go through the trouble of opening the door panel you might as well do some effective sound deadening at the same time so read up on those threads.

Also, anytime you mess around with woofers or amps on the speakers you may have to deactivate ANC so read up on that too - the easiest way is to pull the plug out through the passenger side panel - don't mess with any other way of doing it. Reading the threads on that confused me until light was shed in the later posts that this was the quickest, fastest , non-destructive, and easiest way to do it as long as you got a flathead screwdriver to yank the plug out.

If you don't want to bother with the amp, may just want to stick with changing the tweeter in the tweeter pod and keep the stock door woofer on until you can do an amp install (which will be much more complicated). The stock tweeter in that pod is equivalent to a $5 usb pc speaker so changing it out does wonders. The stock door woofer imo isn't that bad esp for stock amplification, I would not touch it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Op, go through crutchfield. It is a lot easier. I will be ordering the same set as you. Crutchfield has always beef great. I recommend an adapter plate for ease of install. From what I have heard, the signal coming out of the factory amp for the door speakers is full range. If so amp that line and just disconnect and cap the lines from the tweeters. Good luck

·
hot garbage
203 Posts
And just a hint: the stock amp has built-in active crossovers so you don't want to use the supplied crossover module with the speaker set you purchase.
so if I were to install an aftermarket amp, would I want to tap into signal before or after the OEM amp?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts