Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the stock paper POS speakers in my accord with the stock HU. Unfortunately there's 0 bass in the entire car. I don't plan on upgrading it to a sub although. I'm looking at replacing my stock speakers. However, awhile back when I got the car I got some alpine type-S speakers from my old car. Installed those thinking I'd hear a big difference and I still have 0 bass. Somewhere I read that the stock HU can only provide 10-20RMS to each speaker which is too little for a speaker that has a 120RMS rating, thus the no bass.

So in my quest for new speakers, I should look for speakers with a low RMS if I want to replace the stock speakers? Supposedly those will provide a big bass improvement over the stock speakers. Am I right in my thinking?

·
PIMP MY RIDE PLZ
192 Posts
In my opinion, I don't think solely upgrading speakers will help you out much on the bass without adding a sub and/or upgrading the HU.

Even when I upgraded my HU and Speakers, the bass still wasn't what I wanted and was disappointing. A few months later I added an amp/sub and now I'm bumping :grin

·
Reverse Gear
999 Posts
So I have the stock paper POS speakers in my accord with the stock HU. Unfortunately there's 0 bass in the entire car. I don't plan on upgrading it to a sub although. I'm looking at replacing my stock speakers. However, awhile back when I got the car I got some alpine type-S speakers from my old car. Installed those thinking I'd hear a big difference and I still have 0 bass. Somewhere I read that the stock HU can only provide 10-20RMS to each speaker which is too little for a speaker that has a 120RMS rating, thus the no bass.

So in my quest for new speakers, I should look for speakers with a low RMS if I want to replace the stock speakers? Supposedly those will provide a big bass improvement over the stock speakers. Am I right in my thinking?
I am not familiar with the 8th Gen, but getting rid of the factory 6x9's in my 7th gen in favor of Alpine 6x9's gave me more bass then I currently have in my '15 which has a subwoofer. The specs of the Alpine speakers I bought 8 years ago did show that they have a decent low end. I think the newer Alpine's don't have the low end specs that the older ones did, though, perhaps another brand does?

·
Registered
455 Posts

Your radio can play the alpines. just not at a very loud level. i would recommend getting a 5 channel amp so you can have everything you want.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I guess I set myself up for this one. I didn't tell everyone I'm on a super tight budget. I'm definitely fine without adding an amp or sub, don't have the time or money for that, plus I'm not looking for real booming bass. I'm definitely looking for better cabin bass and I know it's tough to get decent low's with 6.5" speakers but I'd think swapping out the stock speakers for aftermarket, even crapola BOSS brand speakers would be an improvement. Am I right in my thinking?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know you're not looking to add a sub or amp or whatever, but why not just add a small, powered sub mount it under the rear deck and tap it off one of the rear speakers. I think you can get a halfways decent SoundOrdinance for what you would give to replace all 4 speakers. I'd do that first and get you a little bit of low end to make it sound more full, and then when you have more cash, replace the speakers, run a 5 channel amp, new HU, whatever...

To add that, all you'd have to do is get power to it and then just tap off the rear speakers. Should take you less than a Saturday afternoon and still have time leftover to cook hamburgers and enjoy something cold to drink.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have Alpine Type R speakers all around running off the Pioneer double din.

Was going to add an amp until I found out that everything is integrated and it would cost a lot more for labour to disable the factory amp and run new wiring to the speakers. So I put off the amp for now and perhaps forever.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Unless you completely blow them out by running too much power, or you are a super audiophile, I am of the opinion that a small sub is all you really need to add in most cases. In my Tahoe, all I have is a small 8" mounted in a box in the fenderwell back in the cargo area, powered by a little 2 channel Bazooka amp someone gave me a while back that's under the back seat. The rest of the system is the OEM Bose system that GM used in those trucks. Granted, GM's Bose is a little better than Honda's system, but it's not that great by any means. However, I really don't need anything.

I'm getting ready to pull the OEM unit in the Honda and put a Kenwood in, but I think the next update will be to just find a powered sub and go that way. It's easy and will give you more bass than even a good 6-1/2 will. If you modified and went with a 6x9, might be a different story. When I was a kid, I had a '91 Buick Regal that I put some Infinity Reference Series 6x9's in and I got comments that my 10" in the trunk sounded great. Nope! Guess again, son!

Anyway, it's just a thought... and just a person opinion.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have Alpine Type R speakers all around running off the Pioneer double din.

Was going to add an amp until I found out that everything is integrated and it would cost a lot more for labour to disable the factory amp and run new wiring to the speakers. So I put off the amp for now and perhaps forever.
Just pull out the bottom harness from the factory amp and tap into the speaker wires from there. very easy to bypass the factory amp. I also disconnected the top harness to stop supplying power to it. You can find the speaker wire color code in the search option. from there run it to your radio. once you remove the glove box and kick panel out of your way it's a lot easier to see everything. it's a lot easier than it sounds.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just pull out the bottom harness from the factory amp and tap into the speaker wires from there. very easy to bypass the factory amp. I also disconnected the top harness to stop supplying power to it. You can find the speaker wire color code in the search option. from there run it to your radio. once you remove the glove box and kick panel out of your way it's a lot easier to see everything. it's a lot easier than it sounds.
But still you need to run all new wire to all speakers, meaning all the panels need to come off...again.

And then you have to buy a new amp kit, and put in MDF or whatever youre going to use to mount it in the roof of the trunk etc.

Still a lot of work. Easy 6 hour job for any shop. Several hundreds of dollars for the labour alone.

·
Registered
455 Posts
But still you need to run all new wire to all speakers, meaning all the panels need to come off...again.

And then you have to buy a new amp kit, and put in MDF or whatever youre going to use to mount it in the roof of the trunk etc.

Still a lot of work. Easy 6 hour job for any shop. Several hundreds of dollars for the labour alone.
you run the 8 speaker wires from the head unit to the bottom harness of the amp. the bottom harness is the output wires going to the speakers. why would you need to rerun wires to all speakers when they are already provided. not even 3 feet of wire per channel. i have no idea where you get 6 hours from. i just told you how to do it. it would take a shop not even one hour to do this. even if they add an amp or bypass your factory amp. if you have the premium system you will have to bypass the crossovers. again its not a 6 hour job. and if it takes some professional that long you're not dealing with professionals.

i can install a double din, bypass the factory amp, install an amp kit+ install a 1/2/5 channel amp and sub in less then 2 hours.

but if you're not installing an amp and just wanna bypass the factory amp it doesn't take that long. hell for a beginner, after research, should take 90 min.

·
Old guy
342 Posts
you run the 8 speaker wires from the head unit to the bottom harness of the amp. the bottom harness is the output wires going to the speakers. why would you need to rerun wires to all speakers when they are already provided. not even 3 feet of wire per channel. i have no idea where you get 6 hours from. i just told you how to do it. it would take a shop not even one hour to do this. even if they add an amp or bypass your factory amp. if you have the premium system you will have to bypass the crossovers. again its not a 6 hour job. and if it takes some professional that long you're not dealing with professionals.

i can install a double din, bypass the factory amp, install an amp kit+ install a 1/2/5 channel amp and sub in less then 2 hours.

but if you're not installing an amp and just wanna bypass the factory amp it doesn't take that long. hell for a beginner, after research, should take 90 min.
How do you bypass the factory amp?

·
Registered
455 Posts
with the factory radio or aftermarket?

·
Old guy
342 Posts
Factory, I'm fixing to piece together stuff for my '12 exl.
Trying to debate, either to use an audiocontrol line level convertor or tap into the balanced signal from unplugging the factory amp.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Im sure its easy for you but i dont know anything about car audio. When I asked a shop months ago they said its a full day job at $100/hour.

·
Registered
455 Posts
u live like an hour from me. so if you ever wanna come out, we can knock it out. usually free on sundays and mondays. i'm in the prosper area.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts