Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I need a starter. Called my local Honda dealership and they quoted me $340 for a reman'd starter. That's ridiculous! Since I don't have time to order a starter from online and wait for delivery, is there anywhere where I can purchase a starter that isn't going to crap out on me in a few months? I've heard stories about aftermarket starters bought from different places not working after a few months of use. I'd hate to have to tear everything apart and do this job again, but at the same time, I don't want to spend $340 if there is a reliable aftermarket starter that's cheaper and available in a store.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Check out advance auto parts they have a pretty reliable one for around cheap and remember to check for any coupons they are currently offering I saved like $60-$70 when I got mine from them.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
Rock Auto has ones that start at $73(TYC - OEM). Priced getting one over nighted to me and it was $50.

I also have a 5% off coupon for you. 1973750617410034

·
Registered
214 Posts
So, I need a starter. Called my local Honda dealership and they quoted me $340 for a reman'd starter. That's ridiculous! Since I don't have time to order a starter from online and wait for delivery, is there anywhere where I can purchase a starter that isn't going to crap out on me in a few months? I've heard stories about aftermarket starters bought from different places not working after a few months of use. I'd hate to have to tear everything apart and do this job again, but at the same time, I don't want to spend $340 if there is a reliable aftermarket starter that's cheaper and available in a store.
$50 or $40 off $100+ Purchases (Next 1000 Customers)
Apply promo code WD4 at checkout at Advance Auto Parts

I got a ToughOne for a 2006 V6 for $120 less the discount and installed it myself. I4 starter is going for $200, not sure why so much more.

So far, a year later starter is still going strong.

·
Registered
305 Posts
dude..isnt it like ridiculously hard to change the starter..? i thought i saw it behind the intake manifold when i was swapping over to the TSX unit...

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
@cD5: We are gonna make a wrencher out out of you yet!

It is not "hard", but it takes time because yes, you have to remove a lot of stuff. I think most guys take 2 hours to do it...

·
Registered
85 Posts
What is the mileage on your car? Is it a 4 or 6 cyl. If I were you I would just go ahead and put in the Honda starter especially if you are going to keep the car.

·
Super Moderator
3,472 Posts
See if the dealership will match the online prices if you bring it to their attention. When I lived in Miami I used to do that until I befriended the parts guy and got an even bigger discount on parts.

Not all dealers will price match but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm still weighing whether or not I want to replace with an OEM for $340. I really don't want to open the car up again if I can avoid it, and I don't know what people's experiences have been with the aftermarket starters (another fear is an AEM part not bolting up correctly; been there, done that).

There are good reasons to go OEM but damn, the last time I paid for a starter, it was $130 for an OEM on a Nissan Sentra. And it was crazy easy to install. cd5, yes, the starter is tucked behind the intake manifold. It's moderate difficulty, just time consuming. I'm marking my hoses and wires and taking pictures for the re-install. It might take me a good 4 hours to do including prep, but I'd rather take my time and save money also.

**Real quick, has anyone who's done this before removed any of the coolant hoses for room?

·
Registered
58 Posts
What yr accord? I changed my 04 accord starter twice! It's very simple. Just tedious

I paid $150 for the aftermarket starter. Hence, the reason why i changed it twice. Spend the money on original

U have an 07. Same as my 04.
All u need to do is remove the battery and the plastic mount for battery and then u can get to the starter. If I remember correctly it's two 16 or 19 mm bolts. And u have to unscrew a ground cable attached to the starter.
U have to be extra careful when u bolt down the new starter. These motors have aluminum blocks and strip super easy! U dont need to bolt it too hard. It's simple.

@cD5: We are gonna make a wrencher out out of you yet!

It is not "hard", but it takes time because yes, you have to remove a lot of stuff. I think most guys take 2 hours to do it...
1st time doing it, yes, I agree. Can take two hours.
When I did it the second time and knew exactly how to do it, it took me 20-30 min tops.

·
Registered
214 Posts
1st time doing it, yes, I agree. Can take two hours.
When I did it the second time and knew exactly how to do it, it took me 20-30 min tops.
Agree, 2 hours
i had to remove the battery and the plastic trim. i also had to disconnect the top radiator hose and remove the driver's side radiator fan (extra 15 mins) to make room to rotate the ratchet for the bottom bolt. That bottom bolt is a bear to budge.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
OEM from junkyard or... aftermarket with lifetime warranty

·
Registered
58 Posts
Agree, 2 hours
i had to remove the battery and the plastic trim. i also had to disconnect the top radiator hose and remove the driver's side radiator fan (extra 15 mins) to make room to rotate the ratchet for the bottom bolt. That bottom bolt is a bear to budge.
You're absolutely correct. I forgot to mention that hose. And yes, that inferior bolt is a pain in the ass to get to. Tedious work

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
I'm marking my hoses and wires and taking pictures for the re-install. It might take me a good 4 hours to do including prep, but I'd rather take my time and save money also.
THIS +1....this is a smart guy. Can't tell you how many times I did not do that "because it looks so easy only an idiot needs to take pics." Then, at 1:15 am with various flashlights and the occasional house lamp (getting eaten alive by bugs), I vow to take pics in the future. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
OEM from junkyard or... aftermarket with lifetime warranty
Lifetime warranty doesnt exist for these parts. I had a one year warranty and I kid u not the new starter I had installed took a dump exactly one year and 1 day after I had purchased it... Luckly I knew the dude and he swaped it out for a new one.

Anyway, the lifetime warranty does not cover the labor therefore BUY ORIGINAL!

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Lifetime warranty doesnt exist for these parts. I had a one year warranty and I kid u not the new starter I had installed took a dump exactly one year and 1 day after I had purchased it... Luckly I knew the dude and he swaped it out for a new one.

Anyway, the lifetime warranty does not cover the labor therefore BUY ORIGINAL!
Next time don't depend on befriending the dude behind the counter. Buy with lifetime warranty....

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Import-Starter/2005-Honda-Accord-LX/_/N-jmvj5Z93xl9?itemIdentifier=830200_415418_0_

As far as labor goes, exactly how much do you expect to be reimbursed for DIY?

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Book rate is 1.4 hours for starter replacement.
Submit payment for labor to yourself, then write yourself a reciept. Take it to the auto parts store along with the part you're returning. Report back on outcome.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts