Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
You're easy money.
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed a new starter so I put one in last week, it squeals like a pig every time I start the car, it sounds like a bad belt that's how loud it is, I was hoping it only squeaked cause it needed to be broken in but I guess not, is there a way I could lube something on the starter? Or maybe eventually it will go away? We all know how tedious the starter is on the 4cyl I'd hate to have to do that all over again. The car starts without fail everytime I just hate the squeak, people stare and it makes me feel like I drive an old lemon instead of my 7th gen

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd start by looking at the serpentine belt tensioner.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I needed a new starter so I put one in last week, it squeals like a pig every time I start the car, it sounds like a bad belt that's how loud it is, I was hoping it only squeaked cause it needed to be broken in but I guess not, is there a way I could lube something on the starter? Or maybe eventually it will go away? We all know how tedious the starter is on the 4cyl I'd hate to have to do that all over again. The car starts without fail everytime I just hate the squeak, people stare and it makes me feel like I drive an old lemon instead of my 7th gen
Does it sound like this: http://youtu.be/doCpWj6BXa0
Btw, don't do what I did in this video LOL

When does the squealing go away? Right after you start or when the car warms up?

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
I'm guessing either the starter is not bolted up right, or you have a defective starter. That's the problem with some "lifetime" starters, you spend a lifetime changing them.

·
You're easy money.
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its just a quick one time squeal when you start the car. Does keep squealing when the car is running or anything. Its very annoying and seems like i'm gonna have to exchange the starter.

·
Silver '07 Accord SE
291 Posts
This is the exact same problem i'm having now, but it doesn't happen all the time. And it does sound like that youtube video, but only when i turn the ignition, nothing beyond that. But it also doesn't happen every time i turn the key, which is odd. But i'm going to try getting a new battery first, and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I'm guessing either the starter is not bolted up right, or you have a defective starter. That's the problem with some "lifetime" starters, you spend a lifetime changing them.
^ What he said. I only cheap out on easily accessible/easy to change parts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Its just a quick one time squeal when you start the car. Does keep squealing when the car is running or anything. Its very annoying and seems like i'm gonna have to exchange the starter.
For a new starter, it should not make any noise like that. This sounds like your new starter gearing is bad. It probably won't last very long. A new OEM starter is pricey but the OEM remanufactured isn't bad at $188 (31200-RAA-A53RM). I'd return the defective one and order the remanufactured unit on line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts