Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I took my car to Sears Auto Center this morning for an alignment since it was pulling to the right and I just replaced my tires. After the service was completed, they recommended to me that I replace my struts soon. Is this normal for a HONDA? My driving is regular, mixed suburban roads and highway. What can cause my struts to wear? Should I get new struts or I can hold off (Just spent 540 on tires, 75 on alignment, 45 for TL RSB.. low on money)? I don't notice any problems in ride comfort or anything.

They handed me a pamphlet and these are some of the symptons:
-Poor steering response - No, my steering feels fine.
-Increased stopping distance - My rotors are warped, and pads are still original. So I doubt it's the strut.
-Vehicle "nose dives" during braking - Very minimal, only when having to heavily brake on the highway.
-Irregular tire wear, leading to road noise and diminished traction - My alignment was done today and found out the toe was out by .42 degrees on the right and rear camber was at too. My traction has never been good because the Bridgestones I used to have on we're rated 6/10 for traction.
Excessive bounce after road impact - There's a lot of humps and bumps in NY, so it's undeterminable.

·
Sosi baklazhani bydlo
589 Posts
Dont go to sears. Your fine. When struts go out, they will in most cases start leaking. So inspect for leaks and youll know.

·
6,322 Posts
Many domestics go out around 60k so their probably just lumping you into that group. Shocks and struts can last a long time on the Accord. Sold my 99 I4 with 166k and they were still fine with no leaks. This came from the Honda dealer. I remember Firestone telling me I needed new ones at 58k.

·
Sosi baklazhani bydlo
589 Posts
Yeah, i sold my 1998 Nissan Altima gxe with 189k and original struts.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Many domestics go out around 60k so their probably just lumping you into that group. Shocks and struts can last a long time on the Accord. Sold my 99 I4 with 166k and they were still fine with no leaks. This came from the Honda dealer. I remember Firestone telling me I needed new ones at 58k.
+1 on that. I replaced my struts at 178K and they were only getting a little soft then. I honestly could not tell much if any difference in ride after the new shocks were put on with new Eibach Pro Kit. I put on another spring kit after the first Eibachs rusted through. I only replaced the struts thinking with that many miles I could tell a difference.

I laugh at the Monroe commercial saying to change every 50K. My wifes Toyota has 180K on it and if just fine to.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, anything CAN happen. My last Infiniti needed new struts at 26,000. Impacts became quite harsh.

On the other hand, my '04 Accord has 86,000 and it is great.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
I used to fall for that crap when I was a teenager. Sears, Goodyear, Firestone, Jiffy Lube...they are all in business to rip off the customer. No, you don't need new struts.

·
Shift_ STILL Not A Honda
318 Posts
Well I dont know how Sears looked at your struts..It could be they spotted a leak. While they were installing the wheels. You never know.

And it's hard to say whether or not new struts at 61K is normal for an accord. It is completely dependent on the way you drive, the roads you drive on, and sometimes the weather conditions.

I lived in FL where it's humid and rainy almost all the time. I've only put about 51K on my original struts and mine are GONE! I can feel even the slightest bumps in the road. Not to mention that as a result of the shocks being old and tired, my practically brand new tires are already getting chopped edges. :(

Honda actually recommends changing the OEM struts for new replacements every 50,000K on a 7th Gen Accord. So I'd stick to Honda's instructions. They usually are pretty accurate for most situations.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Well I dont know how Sears looked at your struts..It could be they spotted a leak. While they were installing the wheels. You never know.

And it's hard to say whether or not new struts at 61K is normal for an accord. It is completely dependent on the way you drive, the roads you drive on, and sometimes the weather conditions.

I lived in FL where it's humid and rainy almost all the time. I've only put about 51K on my original struts and mine are GONE! I can feel even the slightest bumps in the road. Not to mention that as a result of the shocks being old and tired, my practically brand new tires are already getting chopped edges. :(

Honda actually recommends changing the OEM struts for new replacements every 50,000K on a 7th Gen Accord. So I'd stick to Honda's instructions. They usually are pretty accurate for most situations.
Perhaps the lowered springs in your signature contributed to the early demise of the struts? Or perhaps the stiffer springs are what you are feeling as the harsh(er) ride?

·
Registered
3 Posts
May 31, 2010 I bought a used '06 Accord V6 with 53k on it. At 56k I started hearing a knocking noise coming whenever I went over bumps and turning at slow speeds. Took it to Honda and they told me it needed a new left front strut. It was covered under my extended warranty package but it can happen.

I replaced both struts on my '06 F-150 at 75k too.

·
nedpoins
55 Posts
I have 110K on my 2006 V6. I have noticed no change in the ride or handling, and I have no leaks. I know that these things can change slowly and you may not notice, but I drove a new one the other day and things were not that different. Just push down on the corners from time to time and observe the rebound. That should tell you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts