Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my new general tire g-max as-03's mounted and balanced today. I can't wait for spring to arrive. My old set of tires were really getting noisy and hard. Is anybody else on here going to be running a brand new set this spring and if so what kind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just had brandy new Michelin MXV-4 Energy Savers installed. They are the original tire that came with the car when new, and I get roughly 90K miles each set. I currently have 287,000 miles on my '05, and this is my fourth set of Michelins. The best, longest lasting, best handling tire I've ever had.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is getting rave reviews from many places, with a few places claiming that it's better than some dedicated summer tires. Plus it's got a 45k treadwear wararnty which is quite good for a high performance tire. Will probably be getting a set in the spring to replace my Energy MXV4s.

http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2013/re-tired-testing-michelins-newest-all-season-tire/

Next up was a dry autocross course and as we rounded the clubhouse I saw the cars: 6-speed Subaru WRX STis. This would be fun. The real twist here was the competition. In what I thought was a pretty ballsy move, Michelin pitted the A/S 3 against its competitor’s Max Performance Summer Y rated tires, not their all-season rubber. These included the Continental ExtremeContact DW, Pirelli P-Zero and Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position.

An autocross course can quickly expose a tire’s weaknesses. Each of the summer tires showed a distinct personality with different levels of communication, both in feel and sound. As expected, all the tires had good grip but the breakaway differed significantly between the brands. The DW, which is the tire I run on my own Audi, is fairly predictable, but the ultimate grip was a little bit behind that of the Potenza. The Michelin was the big eye-opener with overall grip and predictability as good or better than the others. And when the tire reached its limit, it was the easiest to get back. Surprisingly, with the A/S 3 I was able to carry the most speed through the course. Plus, the Michelin showed little sign of the abuse we were giving it with no visible chunking or wear. I was starting to become a believer. The margin was closer, but I gave this one to the PS A/S 3 as well.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
I am getting BFG g-Force Sport COMP-2's for the A-spec wheels. They are ranked at the top of their class and are very well priced at the local BJ's.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
I may have something up my sleeve for Spring :paranoid:

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
Mud terrains and long travel suspension? Turning the Accord into a desert runner?

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
829 Posts
I had the G-Max A/S 03 on a Civic. IMHO they are the best all season tires you can buy. They are good at everything.

My accord 6-6 currently has Sumitomo HTR Z3 tires (summer) but those wheels are going on my dads TSX. (Also, very good summer tires rated for 189+mph)

This summer I'll be running Dunlop Direzza DZ101 (hopefully they are good)

·
Registered
280 Posts
General altimax hp. Second set got 53k out of the first. Got a credit towards the next set. Its an all season tire on a sedan. I don't go over 100 very often. In fact almost never. <- just admitted I'm getting old. But I still don't use the cruise control.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like the Continental ProContact with EcoPlus. They have great traction on wet roads and have a pretty good warranty as well (6 years/70,000 miles). Very comfortable on long drives and have fairly good precision when cornering.

The other tire I like are Yokohama Avid Ascend. They are comfortable although not as comfortable as the ProContact. However, they have a longer tread life.

·
Banned
694 Posts
My ROH's have 235/45 R17 Falken Azenis PT-722 A/S tires. Awesome tires for the money.

·
Accord Sedan Sport 6MT
31 Posts
I'm putting Nokian Z-Line 235/45-18's on my '14 Sport with <1k miles on it. I wanted a 3-season tire with great wet traction and hydroplane resistance, that is not noisy. Its leased, so I will give it back with the OE Bridgestones.

I'll report back after I have a couple of K's on the Nokians.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Nokian? Never even heard of them. I swear, those Chinese tire companies keep changing names every three months or so.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nokian? Never even heard of them. I swear, those Chinese tire companies keep changing names every three months or so.
ChaosweaveR- they are not Chinese but actually Finnish! From WikiPedia: "Nokian Tyres PLC (Finnish: Nokian Renkaat Oyj), headquartered in Nokia, Finland, produces tyres for cars, trucks, buses, and heavy-duty equipment. Known for its winter tyres, Nokian operates the only permanent winter tyre testing facility in the world. The company's Hakkapeliitta brand name is recognised in Finland as a reputable trademark." Like the entry says, they are well know for their winter "tyres". And being confused with off-brand tire names in the USA! *Wink Icon Here*

1 - 15 of 15 Posts