Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new switchblade key from ebay. cost me $20 total.

just finished morimoto projector retros

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The retros are hot!!! I seriously want a set. Lol. I would so upgrade to the switchblade too but have an aftermarket alarm and remote start already. Nice upgrades!

·
-Gene
656 Posts
this thread is worthless without output pics!!! lol j/k

·
-Gene
656 Posts
so the leak got fixed?

·
1 UP
1,467 Posts
those arent true retros.

:(

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
so howd you get the switchblade key to work? did you get the key cut? and just swap the buttons?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was wondering the same thing....I saw the DIY on the Switchblade for the 8th gens, and all I was wondering is do you have to take it to Honda to get the key cut?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
so howd you get the switchblade key to work? did you get the key cut? and just swap the buttons?
I've been debating to do this as well. All you have to do is switch the guts of your current key to the new switchblade key and get the switchblade key cut by your dealership.

From what I've seen, getting a good deal on the cutting varies because some dealers may cut it for free while others charge arm and leg.:dunno:

Looks good though George! I agree with phunctional, get some output shots. Are you still doing 55w or 35w now?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have one for my 7th GEN SE. You take the buttons out and have to dig out the immobilizer chip out. The good thing is that it is not soldered like the ones for the 2010s. I will take pics and post them so that ya'll can see what needs to be moved over to the EBay switchblade key.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have one for my 7th GEN SE. You take the buttons out and have to dig out the immobilizer chip out. The good thing is that it is not soldered like the ones for the 2010s. I will take pics and post them so taht ya'll can see what needs to be done, and moved over to the EBay switchblade key.
can't wait, i wanta know what seller to buy the switchblade from???

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Looks good though George! I agree with phunctional, get some output shots. Are you still doing 55w or 35w now?
Last time I checked with Greg, 55w is unsafe for MH1s.

Maybe George will be the first to try them out?? :biggrin: jk.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Last time I checked with Greg, 55w is unsafe for MH1s.

Maybe George will be the first to try them out?? :biggrin: jk.
Haha, while the temperatures are higher, I don't think anyone has ever tested them for long term use. George may be the first to try this. :naughty:

·
Registered
40 Posts
The retros are going to look nice when they are done. :thmsup: Specially with the blackout reflector. Please post pics when you finish it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can say that the switchblade was not very hard to do. I have the same switchblade & I all i did was swap out the guts. The dealer did charge me $20 to cut the key but it was no biggie considering i only pay $17 for the keyfob. at any rate here is the end result:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
interesting.. maybe ill call the dealer by me to ask the price. any problems with the key not working? maybe the material of the key itself? (the part that goes into the ignition) since it looks like a chinese made product lol. and is there a DIY on the swapping of the buttons? or is it straight forward just take it out of the old key and put it in the new one?

·
Registered
163 Posts
its pretty straight forward, in that u just unscrew the oem key & get the buttons out. they are all in one piece so it wont fall apart on u. The trickiest part is getting the magnetic security chip out. for that u may want to use a very skinny knife & possibly some needle nose pliars. once u drop in the buttons & chip the switchblade should work good. i have not had any problems... i can say be extra careful when re-installing the spring for the flip-mechanism. the spring is in a preset position and to get it to properly "pop-out" when u press the button u have to remember the spot that the spring was in. but for the most part its a fairly easy mod that has a great result when done correctly.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thx for the compliments guys. the switchblade is VERY easy. you take the buttons and the immobilizer chips out and swap it to the switchblade. will literally take you less than 5 minutes. and nelson honda over in el monte does FREE cutting. the honda parts department guys were asking me about the key and thought it was cool.

and yes, i am currently running them with 55w ballasts =X i realize that ppl have not tested them long term....but i guess i could be the first to try.

and yes, my leak got fixed for $700.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts