Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased brand new 2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan 25 days ago. However, I got a flat tire yesterday. I talked to my dealer and they told me that it is related to the bumper we made and they do not cover the tire. I do not know if it is true but long story short. Anyway, dealer wants me to pay $160 for a new tire.

I checked the price online, for $160 I probably could get a better tire and better warranty from discount tire or Costco. I know if I buy it from dealer , it will probably the same OEM one, Firestone Affinity and there is no any coverage for road damage. If I buy from discount tire or Costco, at that price I could get a much better tire and much better warranty.

However, today when I search online it looks like that 2013 honda Accord LX might have some tire sensors. I know there is low tire pressure light on my car flashing right now. But I am not sure where the tire sensor is. When we change the tire in discount tire, will it also affect the tire sensor? Does the tire sensor need to be reset or reinserted to the new tire? How big is chance the discount tire or Costco will mess up the tire sensor? Or should I go to dealer or should I go to discount tire or costco?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks .

·
Super Moderator
3,432 Posts
The sensor is in the wheel not the tire. Wouldn't you want to get a matching tire? Handling can be affected if you don't match.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The sensor is in the wheel not the tire. Wouldn't you want to get a matching tire? Handling can be affected if you don't match.
Actually the 2013s don't have TPMS sensors. All you have do is recalibrate the TPMS by either holding the button on the left side of the dash (below the Econ button) for a couple seconds.

The tire choice is up to you. If it was me, I'd rather have 4 matching tires.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Did you have a blow out? There's no reason to replace an almost brand new tire. Discount tire or Firestone or walmart, or sears ...etc... can patch the hole for a small fee. If you must replace the tire, I would take the car to one of the shops above. If you're goin to replace the tires with better ones, do it in pairs, or even better yet, all 4 at the same time. As long as the tire dimension matches, you won't have any issue

·
Registered
203 Posts
Did you have a blow out? There's no reason to replace an almost brand new tire. Discount tire or Firestone or walmart, or sears ...etc... can patch the hole for a small fee. If you must replace the tire, I would take the car to one of the shops above. If you're goin to replace the tires with better ones, do it in pairs, or even better yet, all 4 at the same time. As long as the tire dimension matches, you won't have any issue
Americas tire or Discount tires depending on where you live will patch it for free they did mine last week, had a screw through it, patched it, rebalanced it and sent me on my way in about an hour. Couple days later I took the wife's 525 in as I have had a slow leak in one tire for a long time, pulled it off the rim and checked it. Turns out there was a little bit of corrosion on the inside of the rim that was stopping the bead from laying flat. They buffed it smooth, re-mounted and re-balanced the tire. Again for free. They have all of my tire business....Plus they will price match most of the time.

·
Retired G-Man
776 Posts
Walmart costs about $5.00 to fix a repairable flat. If it's simply a nail or screw in the tread area, it can be fixed reliably if they take the tire off and patch inside.

Blowout or damage in the shoulder area usually means you need a new tire.

It would be best to match the other 3 tires if replacement is necessary. Check price online to see what you're dealing with, if buying the tire locally.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The real question is did you drive on the tire while it was flat? If you drive any on a flat tire then it ruins the side walls and become unrepairable. My last flat happened on a free way and as the tire went low I had to move over to the shoulder to change it. I purchased the tire at Costco. When they removed it from the rim they showed me all the rubber pieces inside the tire from the side walls. They replaced both tires, including the one on the other side so that they would match and only charged me for the tread life that I had used. I got two new tires for $100.

Of course Discount Tire or Costco may not be able to match the other 3 tires. The dealer should be able to match the tires.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Walmart costs about $5.00 to fix a repairable flat. If it's simply a nail or screw in the tread area, it can be fixed reliably if they take the tire off and patch inside.

Blowout or damage in the shoulder area usually means you need a new tire.

It would be best to match the other 3 tires if replacement is necessary. Check price online to see what you're dealing with, if buying the tire locally.
My local walmart charges $10. When I took in my wife's car to them the guy dunked it for about 25 minutes and couldn't find the leak. Kid at Americas tire had it off the rim and fixed in 15.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks .
My had a similar experience (side puncture) at 500 miles. End up getting a new identical tire from a local tire place because it was cheaper. You do not need to buy two new tires since you do not have that many miles on the car. Just find a good place where they do good job mounting and balancing the tire. I have to say the factory balance is the best.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Actually the 2013s don't have TPMS sensors. All you have do is recalibrate the TPMS by either holding the button on the left side of the dash (below the Econ button) for a couple seconds.

The tire choice is up to you. If it was me, I'd rather have 4 matching tires.
:confused:
WHAT?

·
Registered
480 Posts
The TPMS is software based in this car. There are no sensors in the wheels. It just uses the ABS sensors to keep track of the wheel speed. If one tire has low pressure it's speed will change relative to the others and the warning light will come on.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I would never buy tires from the dealers here. Their markup is crazy. I'd buy the same make and model tire elsewhere. The car is obviously new, you can just get one tire and be done with it.

·
Crosseyed and Gearless
298 Posts
I purchased brand new 2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan 25 days ago. However, I got a flat tire yesterday. I talked to my dealer and they told me that it is related to the bumper we made and they do not cover the tire. I do not know if it is true but long story short. Anyway, dealer wants me to pay $160 for a new tire.
You made a bumper for your car?? If you can do that you should be able to make a tire for your car too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts