Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Gearhead Girl 馃
Some service facilities don't report to Carfax, so it's possible that more services were done, and just not reported. Previous owners also may have done some DIY services, which would also not show on the record.

Having a mechanic look over the car is a good idea with any new-to-you car purchase, but I don't think you necessarily need to purchase any extra warranties (unless it makes you more comfortable to do so).

I would do the timing belt and water pump for peace of mind. Most of us here on the forum recommend Aisin brand, and make sure it's obtained from a reputable source (as in, NOT eBay or Amazon).

Gearhead Girl 馃
How do we figure out if the timing belt was replaced or not? Can we ask a mechanic to figure this out? Also, do the dealers allow us to bring self bought parts?
I've heard that sometimes there's a sticker under the hood somewhere with the date and mileage of timing belt replacement, but this is far from a guarantee. Take a look, and if you can't find anything, play it safe and have it done. These are interference engines, meaning that if the belt snaps, it may lead to catastrophic engine damage.

I doubt a dealer will let you bring your own parts (I've never tried), but an independent shop might. Alternatively, if you have the job done at a dealer, they should be using a quality part as well. Just beware of dealership special pricing for the job if you go that route, because they might exclude parts of the service in order to advertise a lower price.

Also, +1 on replacing all fluids. If this is an automatic, I highly suggest using Honda's ATF (it's called DW-1).

Gearhead Girl 馃
FWIW, I wouldn't use the O'Reilly ATF either.

ATF is cheap, a transmission repair is not. Splurge on a high quality ATF.

As for the oil lamp light, the dashboard lights are only a concern if they remain on when the engine is turned on. If you have the key in ignition positions that are not the full engine start position, then the dashboard lights will illuminate, that's normal.

Edit: judging by the color, your ATF looks on the newer side, so I think it should be okay to top off the transmission fluid. For how low your ATF is on the dipstick, you should probably do that right away, as driving on low ATF can damage the transmission.

Gearhead Girl 馃
Thanks. any suggestions other than Honda DW-1? Can't find that in any store near by. Local honda dealer ran out of it as well. Will try my luck in an other dealer 20 mi away, but really scared to drive with this low level ATF. So thinking just fill up with 1 Qt and later fill rest with the Honda one.
+1 for Valvoline MaxLife. As big as I am on staying OEM, ensuring that the transmission has sufficient fluid is more important.

It's probably not the best idea to go mixing ATF, so what I would do would be to drain what's left in the transmission, and fill to the minimum line with the MaxLife. When DW-1 is available again, drain the MaxLife and refill with DW-1.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts