Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, some of you may have seen my previous post about a used 2014 LX with 12K miles - and what would be a fair price.

After purchasing it, getting it home yesterday, just wanted to see if there is anything you all suggest is worth checking (ie, TSBs I need to be aware of - i went through the sticky post, but it is rather long - so asking if anything prevalent I should check for). I already found this one (Drive Accord Honda Forums - View Single Post - 2014 accord wind noise) that I am going to go to the dealer to get fixed as the road wind noise by the window is killer (didn't notice on the test drives, but def. did this morning).

As this is my first car with the CVT, it is def. a change, for sure, but slowly adjusting to it. So many combinations between regular and eco and sport and, wow, but, this car is really nice.

I'm doing an oil change this weekend just so I know when it was last done (and done right).

One question I did want to ask - does this car have a cut-out in the splash shield for the transmission fluid drain plug? The 8th gen didnt and made zero sense so I had to cut it out to do my drain and fills.

Thanks guys!

·
HK Moderator
14,092 Posts
used 2014 LX with 12K miles

I'm doing an oil change this weekend just so I know when it was last done (and done right).

One question I did want to ask - does this car have a cut-out in the splash shield for the transmission fluid drain plug? The 8th gen didnt and made zero sense so I had to cut it out to do my drain and fills.

Thanks guys!
1) Good for you for changing the oil- you have no idea if the previous owner did it right or if he took it to the butchers at Jiffy Lube. Every used car I buy (or that a friend buys) has every single fluid replaced. I don't want any "lowest bidder" Jiffy Lube concoction mixed in to my power steering fluid (Top you off, sir?), nor my transmission fluid (You were low, so we added a quart of stuff that will kill your Honda automatic transmission in a couple of months...).

2) The CVT is different than the "traditional" automatic transmission you are used to. Different fluid too. Search here. I saw two good write ups- with photos and step by step instructions, on how to change the CVT fluid. Research now so when the time is right to change it, you will be ready.

Don't waste your money changing oil if it looks good now.
Unless he knows what kind of oil was put in there (is there a Honda oil filter on there?) then I would err on the side of caution and change it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Unless you bought the car from a non-Honda dealer, why would you waste your money in doing an oil change?

When the oil life reaches 15%, that's when you need to do the oil change.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it was bought from a Toyota dealership - where they changed the oil and filter when it was traded to them back in May (they put in Toyota 0w20 with a generic oil filter) and did not reset the maintenance minder as it shows 20% oil left left. I am going to let it get down to 15% to see what code it throws (A vs B).

I can't imagine I'd want to change the transmission fluid this early, would I?

With that said, my last question is the splash shield on the bottom. Since there is no Honda Service Manual online for these cars, does it have the hole cut out for the transmission drain plug? I've already found the instructions, but nothing mentions the splash shield.

I tell you, the guy who bought it new had the works for accessories - mud guard, wheel locks, lo-jack, trunk matt, everything. In the glove box, he paid for all his oil changes in advance and have coupons at the Honda dealership for it at certain mileage intervals - probably can't use them since it's not my name on them, but, yeah - they got him with the add-on's for, sure.

Thanks again guys!

·
2014 Accord EX white
208 Posts
if you want to change the oil go for it! it will only make it better....

youtube is your best friend they have many informative videos

it would be unneccesary in my opinion to change your tranny fluid at the moment IMO

usually if you cant get to a drain plug its just a platic cover and a few clips needed to be removed....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts