Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, so probably for the last 4-5 years, I've been in love with Honda and the Accord has always caught my eye. I am getting ready to pick up an 08 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe Manual. If I can swing it, should I go for it? I hear that 8 grand is a little much for an 8th gen but I'm willing to pay for the manual. If I pick up this Accord, is there anything I need to know and does anybody know any mods? I want to drive something clean and inconspicuous so i'm not looking to rice it.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
Welcome.

You did not list the mileage, condition, maintenance history, timing belt/water pump change out, even the life remaining in the tires. This tells me you are passionate, but not searching enough. So I have no idea if $8K is reasonable.

Plenty of threads in the 8th Gen forum about modifying and caring for this car. The manual is pretty much bulletproof- if the car was not abused. One thing to look out for with these cars is the motor mounts- which I am sure you will see when you start viewing threads in the 8th Gen forum. Some owners like to exercise that V6, and the mounts go before their time.

Good luck.

Reactions: DerekWildstar

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I want to drive something clean and inconspicuous so i'm not looking to rice it.
(inserts sound of secret passageway from The Legend Of Zelda). Congratulations. You’ve spoken the magic words that have already assured you respect from the DA community.;)

I‘d take Rick’s advice - do a lot of searching here, as you can get loads of questions answered. The V6 manual will mean you won’t shouldn't need to worry about the P303/P304 engine misfire issue. If it’s been a one-owner, low-mileage, garage-kept, detailed maintenance record 2008 and you’re going to keep it for a long time, $8k might be fine. If it’s been thrown around an auto cross track every weekend (or just driven by a moron)... well, you need a lot more information.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you're only paying 8 Grand for an 8th Gen coupe v6 m/t you are most likely looking at a very high mileage vehicle. I'd have a mechanic check that car out and try to get as much mechanical history on the car as possible. Welcome to the forum!

·
Don't drink and drive
4,574 Posts
Seems a bit high but depends on mileage, mods, maintenance, etc.

·
2020 best year
4,201 Posts
(inserts sound of secret passageway from The Legend Of Zelda). Congratulations. You’ve spoken the magic words that have already assured you respect from the DA community.;)

I‘d take Rick’s advice - do a lot of searching here, as you can get loads of questions answered. The V6 manual will mean you won’t shouldn't need to worry about the P303/P304 engine misfire issue. If it’s been a one-owner, low-mileage, garage-kept, detailed maintenance record 2008 and you’re going to keep it for a long time, $8k might be fine. If it’s been thrown around an auto cross track every weekend (or just driven by a moron)... well, you need a lot more information.
True, and it's a bit of a sleeper by stock already. V6 6-speed is kinda quick by stock.

If the mileage isn't high and the condition is good, I'd say $8k is a steal.

One thing, though: in general, I don't think AutoX is that bad for the car. Each lap is usually around 1 minute(depending on your skills) and usually you can get 6 to 8 laps in depending on how many cars and participants there are. Sure you do toss the car around a lot and rev the engine up, but it's only for a few minutes every time so the wear outside of tires won't be that much more significant than a street car.

The only exception is if you royally f-ed up and rammed into a wall or a tire, which I have seen with my own eyes before. A dude I know rammed his C7 Grand Sport Corvette into a big tire on the track and ended paying $4k+ for the composite body panels damaged in the oopsie. But that's just like any accident.

Also, I don't know if anyone lives at a place where this is a weekly thing. Usually it will be monthly for a given group in a region. Maybe once every two weeks, but weekly is a lot for an organization. Oh and it costs money so the bills will stack up quickly if you every week.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

Reactions: DerekWildstar

·
Yea I modded my car again
1,332 Posts
6 speed manual accord is worth 8K for sure. My car has 120K miles on it and still drives like new. Granted I have done a lot of suspension work but no actual engine work has been done really aside from a gremlin miss fire that's now gone.

Car is way faster than people think too. Everyone is surprised by and accord 6 speed manual. My buddy who's a mechanic and just sold his 335 with bigger turbos drove my car and was amazed how fast it was. And said it would be a damn close race on a stock 335 in his opinion, which is high praise I'd say.

IMHO I would focus on body condition. Pain, dents, rust. CHeck the rear fenders where the bolt into the bumper. My car was rusting there and got it professionally painted, was starting to rust a year later. Was able to stop it thank god with with Honey Goo. That stuff saved my life, rust literally stopped permanently.

most 08 accords also have a recall on passenger airbag (I still need to get mine done)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey all, so probably for the last 4-5 years, I've been in love with Honda and the Accord has always caught my eye. I am getting ready to pick up an 08 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe Manual. If I can swing it, should I go for it? I hear that 8 grand is a little much for an 8th gen but I'm willing to pay for the manual. If I pick up this Accord, is there anything I need to know and does anybody know any mods? I want to drive something clean and inconspicuous so i'm not looking to rice it.
I have a 2008 Honda Accord Coupe, EX-L V6, 184k miles, just had timing belt changed, water pump, serpentine belt (there should be a sticker on the air cleaner, noting if this has been done), replaced power steering rack and pinion, last thing to do is get a new CAT (CARB) converter (front), motor was re-built in 2013 by Honda 82K, as warranty, due valve leakage and burned up motor (watch oil levels), 2009 Pilot had same issue (fixed by Honda), Honda dealer also replaced the clutch(was not an issue). After Cat purchase and install, will add new front struts and rear.......Car runs like a top, super running through the gears, no clatter, clash, etc. The items I mentioned, fixed by my mechanic is approximately $2800.00 range, before struts....take this baby to a mechanic you trust, have him evaluate the car. I think between 7 and 8k is a really fair price for this awesome vehicle, with mechanicals being current.....have seen some in Texas with four cylinder automatic for 6k range with 200+K mileage. Good luck! no I do not run it hard, but it disdains hills, just eats them up!

·
8th Gen Believer
4,223 Posts
If it's been treated well $8k is okay, at least around here in Dallas. I have 143k miles on my sedan and it's been a reliable ride, very few mostly small problems. Welcome to DA!

·
Registered
391 Posts
The prices for v6 Accord coupes don't seem to be dropping. They seem to be highly sought after. Not just ninth gens, but 8th gens as well. The only one's I've seen that were reasonably priced are always very high milage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts