Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new '14 V6 EX-L tonight. Looks real sharp in MSM & has nice stance with 18" tires & dual exhaust. That said...

I wasn't thinking of one, but many recent reports like CR that have pointed out recent concerns with electrical & software on the new Accord. Also recent Fords and Caddys have experienced the same. As a result, I was thinking may be good to buy an extended warranty?? Dealer wanted $1,850 for a 8 year/100k miles and I said no way. After i balked more they offered one less year for $995. I said much better. but still no. You guys know other dealers in US that have better offers on a 7 or 8 year warranty? All items covered except normal wear. Please let me know & thanks!

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Picked up my new '14 V6 EX-L tonight. Looks real sharp in MSM & has nice stance with 18" tires & dual exhaust. That said...

I wasn't thinking of one, but many recent reports like CR that have pointed out recent concerns with electrical & software on the new Accord. Also recent Fords and Caddys have experienced the same. As a result, I was thinking may be good to buy an extended warranty?? Dealer wanted $1,850 for a 8 year/100k miles and I said no way. After i balked more they offered one less year for $995. I said much better. but still no. You guys know other dealers in US that have better offers on a 7 or 8 year warranty? All items covered except normal wear. Please let me know & thanks!
I was offered $1995.95 for 8 years/100k miles, but I said no. If you want to get the warranty, I'll prefer to get through the dealer instead of third party. I heard they are not great compares to dealer offer. You have to jump through hoops and pay more deductible. IMO - if it can make it through the first 4yrs, it'll be fine. Just normal wear and repair are much cheaper then the upfront warranty. Plus it's a Honda, it should withstand with time. I used to drive a 1987 Nissan Maxima in my freshmen year and it lasted 5+ yr, until I sold it.

·
Retired G-Man
776 Posts
Hyannis Honda has exact same HondaCare 8yr/120k/$0 deductible extended warranty for about $1100. Valid for repairs at any Honda dealer.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was offered $1995.95 for 8 years/100k miles, but I said no. If you want to get the warranty, I'll prefer to get through the dealer instead of third party. I heard they are not great compares to dealer offer. You have to jump through hoops and pay more deductible. IMO - if it can make it through the first 4yrs, it'll be fine. Just normal wear and repair are much cheaper then the upfront warranty. Plus it's a Honda, it should withstand with time. I used to drive a 1987 Nissan Maxima in my freshmen year and it lasted 5+ yr, until I sold it.
If its not direct from honda don't bother!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'd pay maybe maybe $1000 for extended warranty, but 2K sounds expensive. Just save the 2K and keep it around for unexpected repairs. You will never need to spend as much as 2-3K unless there is a major meltdown in transmission or say the AC system where both the compressor and condenser need to be replaced.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Congrats, yanks1.

For a 2013 EX-L V6 sedan, in March or so this year, I paid $1,040 for 8/120/$0 deductible for HondaCare from Hyannis (Bob Leab). You may be able to save sales tax - I think they are located in Mass. It takes 10 minutes for the whole process, and they offer better price than Saccucci, Curry, etc., at least in my experience.

I got it just before I hit 6,000 miles (after that you can only get a shorter plan, I was told). So you have some time before you get the warranty, to save up some money or see how the car runs, etc., etc.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Factory warranty is 3/36 so any bugs that should arise from ANY component on the car will surface before then IMO. Just my .02 and the reason we opted to not get one.
But to the OP, extended warranties are an affordable piece of mind for some.
Congrats on the new ride.

·
Tampa FL
373 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the replies so far... This is the Std Honda care warranty issued through a 3rd party partnering w/Honda (Finance Mgr. told me it's Fidelity).

I was not thinking of an extended warranty, I have never bought one with a new car purchase. But with all the software/electrical components in these cars now those are the likely ones to cause issues, not the actual drivetrain which I know has std. 5 yrs/60k miles. And "jimnfor" I hear you that most electrical problems should rear their ugly head in 1st year or 2. But I thought 7 yrs/100k at $995 is getting close to good deal. Thanks for heads up on saving sales tax on out of state dealer, i was thinking same. I will check those other dealers mentioned above

And my 1st reaction to this V6 Accord is nice mix of sportiness and luxury. Plus I appreciate the extra room and softer ride (though still firm) vs my 330ci that had real low profile tires. These 45 series tires are less punishing

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
While Fidelity appears to be a brand name (assuming that they are affiliated with the financial institution by that name), I suggest you get the genuine HondaCare warranty if the prices are anywhere close. Now, don't get me wrong, I have never had a warranty from Fidelity, and they may pay out just fine. But online reviews that I have seen are horrible for Fidelity. With HondaCare, you know who you are dealing with, and repairs are transparent to you (i.e., you don't have to front the money, fill out paperwork, fight for a check, etc.).

·
Registered
37 Posts
An additional data point

Hyannis Honda has exact same HondaCare 8yr/120k/$0 deductible extended warranty for about $1100. Valid for repairs at any Honda dealer.
I purchased 7yr/80k/$0 deductible for $740 from Hyannis. This was just fine for me as I'm a low mileage driver who trades every seven years.

OP: go ahead and send an inquiry to Hyannis. The response is automated and includes a table of all the warranty options and costs.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I purchased 7yr/80k/$0 deductible for $740 from Hyannis. This was just fine for me as I'm a low mileage driver who trades every seven years.

OP: go ahead and send an inquiry to Hyannis. The response is automated and includes a table of all the warranty options and costs.
I just tried and site stated I need to call for pricing after I inputted 2014 V6 Accord and NJ as my state. Price above sounds great, how much more if you went to 8 yrs? And ****, thanks for heads up on Honda Care vs Fidelity.. not sure why my dealer sells just the Fidelity one... interesting

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
And ****, thanks for heads up on Honda Care vs Fidelity.. not sure why my dealer sells just the Fidelity one... interesting
Probably due to a much higher markup (or a rebate, commission, etc.).

You should call and talk to Bob at Hyannis. He sounded like an older gentleman who is laid back and not pushy at all.

So, you ended up getting an auto, eh? Why no 6 speed manual, like your 330i?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Probably due to a much higher markup (or a rebate, commission, etc.).

You should call and talk to Bob at Hyannis. He sounded like an older gentleman who is laid back and not pushy at all.

So, you ended up getting an auto, eh? Why no 6 speed manual, like your 330i?

I will call him ****, thanks! I also requested quotes from Saccucci in Rhode Island that some recommended online. Reason I went autom was 4 more Highway MPs vs Manual. We own a place in NJ & SC so envision even more highway trips down the road. Also, the Coupe has Paddle shifters which are pretty cool; used them a lot already in my 1st day of driving. Our true play car is the Mustang GT Convertible/Calif Special 5 speed manual; my lovely wife thought as we age it may make sense not to have more than 1 manual in family. She has a 2011 CRV as her daily, she is a full-time NJ realtor

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
This is the one I got on my Accord last month. 8 years/120K miles/$0 deductible for $1,140. You can also try Curry Honda and Sacucci Honda. When I was going through finance, they offered the HondaCare warranty to me for $2,300. But when I pulled out the quote from Hyannis for $1,140, my local dealer matched it...hmph, imagine that! Good luck!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thanks for another reference, was this for I-4 or V6 Accord, and what year is your car?? thanks; and agree RunSomewhere, I'm only buying through a dealer if i decide to puchase

·
Registered
547 Posts

Yanks,
Did you pay extra for the 18" tires?

·
Retired G-Man
776 Posts
I was interested in the warranty, but Florida is not included! wonder why
Try Saccucci Honda online for Florida. I think they sell the HondaCare extended warranty to Florida customers.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts