Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sport 2.0 Sonic Gray
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching and trying to wrap my head around all the math involved and I'm about to "hulk smash" everything around me. I've seen people using spacers on the factory wheels & I've seen people's rides with aftermarket wheels. My question is, what offset wheel will I need to get the 20mm Spacer "look". I want new wheels, but I'm tired of wrecking my fragile little stupid brain around it all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've got a 2021 Accord Sport. Looking at 20" wheels.

Do I get 9" wide? 9.5" wide? Offset - Plus/Minus - I'm about to lose my schitt.

LOL...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Take 20mm difference off the stock wheels offset and buy a set of wheels that have that.
Example#1. If your stock wheels have an offset of +50 and you take off 20mm. Your new offset number is +30. So look to buy wheels with an offset with the new number.

Easy thing to remember with offset. The higher the plus number the more the wheel tucks under your fender. The lower the number goes it moves towards the outside. And negative numbers will for sure be outside the fender.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the Fitment Industries Gallery for inspiration.

For further calculations, I used https://www.willtheyfit.com/

My setup looks like this: Show me your wheels!!
If I’m correct from reading your setup it looks like you went +38. I like your look for sure! Thanks so much for a little more help here! Very much appreciated.

Easy thing to remember with offset. The higher the plus number the more the wheel tucks under your fender. The lower the number goes it moves towards the outside. And negative numbers will for sure be outside the fender.
Thanks. It’s extremely confusing (and frustrating) to not be able to crack the code on my own, but I’ve never put aftermarket wheels on a car before so it’s greek to me.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It's all good, took me a bit to get it. But nothing the internet couldn't help he solve.

Reactions: Beefizzal

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
12,643 Posts
My question is, what offset wheel will I need to get the 20mm Spacer "look". I want new wheels, but I'm tired of wrecking my fragile little stupid brain around it all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've got a 2021 Accord Sport. Looking at 20" wheels.

Do I get 9" wide? 9.5" wide? Offset - Plus/Minus - I'm about to lose my schitt.
Take 20mm difference off the stock wheels offset and buy a set of wheels that have that.
Example#1. If your stock wheels have an offset of +50 and you take off 20mm. Your new offset number is +30. So look to buy wheels with an offset with the new number.
It doesn't always work like that.

As you said, the stock Sport trim 19" wheels are +50 offset and adding a 20mm spacer gives the wheels a +30 offset.

If Beefizzal buys wheels with a +30 offset but they're not the same width (8.5") as the stock Sport wheels, they'll stick out more or less than stock Sport wheels with 20mm spacer and won't give Beefizzal that "20mm Spacer look"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

As you said, the stock Sport trim 19" wheels are +50 offset and adding a 20mm spacer gives the wheels a +30 offset.

If Beefizzal buys wheels with a +30 offset but they're not the same width (8.5") as the stock Sport wheels, they'll stick out more or less than stock Sport wheels with 20mm spacer and won't give Beefizzal that "20mm Spacer look"
This is exactly what I was thinking also. Wanting to go to a wide wheel, 9 or 9.5 then I would probably need a 35/38 offset correct?

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
12,643 Posts
This is exactly what I was thinking also. Wanting to go to a wide wheel, 9 or 9.5 then I would probably need a 35/38 offset correct?
If you want the new wheels to have the same outer appearance as the stock Sport 19x8.5 +50 wheels with a 20mm spacer (effectively a +30 offset), then:

math
If 1 inch = 25.4mm

If a 9" wide wheel is 12.7mm wider than 8.5" wide wheel, or 6.35mm wider on each side...

For a 20x9 wheel to sit like a 19x8.5 +50 wheel with 20mm spacer (effectively a +30 offset), the 20x9 wheel would need to have an offset of 30 + 6.35mm = +36.35

If a 9.5" wide wheel is 25.4mm wider than a 8.5" wide wheel, or 12.7mm wider on each side...

For a 20x9.5 wheel to sit like a 19x8.5 +50 wheel with 20mm spacer (effectively a +30 offset), the 20x9.5 wheel would need to have an offset of 30 + 12.7mm = +42.7

·
Registered
335 Posts

My bad.. I knew all of that i just didnt play it all out when i answered. I only wanted to give a basic idea. But you are correct the width of the wheel comes into play a big deal. Im sorry for not giving you all the facts.

·
2010 2.4EX
230 Posts
I've been researching and trying to wrap my head around all the
math involved and I'm about to "hulk smash" everything around me.
I've seen people using spacers on the factory wheels & I've seen
people's rides with aftermarket wheels. My question is, what offset
wheel will I need to get the 20mm Spacer "look". I want new wheels,
but I'm tired of wrecking my fragile little stupid brain around it all.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've got a 2021 Accord
Sport. Looking at 20" wheels.

Do I get 9" wide? 9.5" wide? Offset - Plus/Minus - I'm about to lose
my schitt.

LOL...
I've got an excellent idea:

Stick with the OEM wheels!

Besides, wagon-wheels are for horses! lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got an excellent idea:

Stick with the OEM wheels!

Besides, wagon-wheels are for horses! lol
I’ve got an even better idea:

Do what I want to do!

And heed the excellent advice and recommendations given on this forum.

Besides, if I wanted to keep the OEM wheels, I would have never asked for advice and help given by others on this great forum.

·
2010 2.4EX
230 Posts
I’ve got an even better idea:

Do what I want to do!

And heed the excellent advice and recommendations
given on this forum.

Besides, if I wanted to keep the OEM wheels, I would have
never asked for advice and help given by others on this great forum.
If you want to stress yourself out over making sure the aftermarket wheels will fit, retain the correct offset, scrub radius, etc, be my guest!

The only thing I must ask is: Why?

And that Why is not just for you, but for everyone, everywhere, who insists on all this plus-sizing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you want to stress yourself out over making sure the aftermarket wheels will fit, retain the correct offset, scrub radius, etc, be my guest!

The only thing I must ask is: Why?

And that Why is not just for you, but for everyone, everywhere, who insists on all this plus-sizing.
So to answer your question with my answer. I will say i wanted a different looking wheel on my car. I have never been overly fond of black wheels on a car of lighter colors. Plus the wheels i chose are the same size 19's as my stocks except the offset, and width. Even matched them to the same size tires. Choosing a nice set of wheels isnt stressful, when you know what you want, or even if you get help with your idea. Lastly we as the car owners are entitled to do whatever we want, with no intent purpose to piss anyone else off about it. So the why in my case is because i want to.

Reactions: Samuelx

·
More cars, more problems
142 Posts

·
2010 2.4EX
230 Posts
You're right, if man was meant to fly he'd have wings. People swapping out
the factory wheels are ungrateful for what Honda has graciously bestowed
unto us. Individualism is highly overrated.
Based on my experience driving my 2010 EX, I think Honda knew what they were doing when they put the size of wheels & tires they did on that trim level.

And I would never change my wheels based on how they "look". I'm all about function.
In fact, I would probably prefer narrower, higher profile Honda stock 60-series tires and wheels from the LX on my EX - track straighter than lower-profile tires anyway.

My days of going 45 in a 25 are long over. Nor do I feel compelled, for that matter, never, have I felt compelled to take a sharp turn at speeds that would transfer my front passenger into my lap, or vice versa..!

·
More cars, more problems
142 Posts
I'm all about function.
Wider wheels do in fact serve a function. Just because it's not a function that is important to you doesn't mean it's irrelevant to others.

·
More cars, more problems
142 Posts
delete this frickn post!
Nah.

To NASCAR, IRL? Absolutely!
Yes, only a boring American left turn competition has ever needed wider wheels. Your argument is so determinate and infallible that my mind was utterly sundered by it's unbridled truth. I submit myself to your utter contempt of anyone else's opinion and will immediately throw out my wider wheels and recommend that the OP do the same lest he also be branded as an apostate in your kingdom of pizza cutter wheels.

·
Registered
335 Posts
That's your choice and right to like what you like. But other people like other things. It's not for you to accept. So just avoid posts like this if you can't relate to the topic.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts