Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

So I would consider myself a newbie to this whole car performance tuning realm. I have a 2018 Sport 2.0 MT that I bought because I wanted something fun to drive and still "fit the kids". I was looking for answers to shorten the throttle response/turbo lag to make shifting a bit more crisp when I stumbled upon @Hondata's "stage 1, 2, and 3 for MT" thread, and very much intrigued I became.

I don't want to just blindly buy a tuner and flash the ECU without somewhat understanding what is going on and its ramifications. Also, looking at screenshots of the software, I'd like to know what some of those verbiage/options mean.

What is the best place/way to start learning all this? Not looking to be spoon fed (although that is certainly welcomed), but some guidance in the right direction would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I thought the Ktuner would be more than it was, but after buying it, sitting down and setting up, and then flashing, it wasn't bad at all. Love the Stage 2 on my 1.5T.

·
HK Moderator
13,402 Posts
I don't want to just blindly buy a tuner and flash the ECU without somewhat understanding what is going on and its ramifications. Also, looking at screenshots of the software, I'd like to know what some of those verbiage/options mean.

What is the best place/way to start learning all this? Not looking to be spoon fed (although that is certainly welcomed), but some guidance in the right direction would be much appreciated!
That is by design, salesmen posting ads with graphs with no explanation- in plain English, of what those lines mean, and I doubt if most buyers know what they mean. Sure are pretty, though....

You can read through threads here in the performance sub-forum, and you can contact Hondata and KTuner with follow-up questions. Basically, each company has a computer program (tune) that changes how your engine will operate, at different rpms, altitudes, outside air temps, etc. The turbo may spool up sooner, or may hold more boost, or may even be retarded so that you do not spin your tires- in order to keep traction for better quarter mile times, for example.

You will learn that by altering the software of your Honda (re-flashing), you can be in a position to be denied a warranty claim. Not likely- but possible. Reputable companies are an ongoing business concern- they want to stay in business. They don't want you to destroy your transmission or engine. Stay within the parameters of the "off the shelf" or standardized tunes (modifications) and you will be fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Yea I did read a bit here and there. But was hoping someone knows of a comprehensive (not-too-deep) guide to the technical aspects of tuning. Being a non-mechanical engineer, still prefer things to "make sense"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought the Ktuner would be more than it was, but after buying it, sitting down and setting up, and then flashing, it wasn't bad at all. Love the Stage 2 on my 1.5T.
How are you liking the tune on your 1.5T? Any issues with the CVT? I also have the 1.5T and am really wanting to tune it!

·
Registered
436 Posts
How are you liking the tune on your 1.5T? Any issues with the CVT? I also have the 1.5T and am really wanting to tune it!
The Ktuner stage 2 v2 works really well, and I have had it awhile. The key to the CVT is don't sit around and do burnouts all the time. I hardly need to give it a lot of throttle to head off from a standstill at a red light swiftly, so spinning the tires all over town is not a necessity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is by design, salesmen posting ads with graphs with no explanation- in plain English, of what those lines mean, and I doubt if most buyers know what they mean. Sure are pretty, though....

You can read through threads here in the performance sub-forum, and you can contact Hondata and KTuner with follow-up questions. Basically, each company has a computer program (tune) that changes how your engine will operate, at different rpms, altitudes, outside air temps, etc. The turbo may spool up sooner, or may hold more boost, or may even be retarded so that you do not spin your tires- in order to keep traction for better quarter mile times, for example.

You will learn that by altering the software of your Honda (re-flashing), you can be in a position to be denied a warranty claim. Not likely- but possible. Reputable companies are an ongoing business concern- they want to stay in business. They don't want you to destroy your transmission or engine. Stay within the parameters of the "off the shelf" or standardized tunes (modifications) and you will be fine.
By "'off the shelf' or standardized tunes", do you mean the pre-programed tunes Hondata or KTuner offer?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts