Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, been thinking of getting tint done on my Accord ever since I got her, but a few things have been holding me back, and I have a few questions for those that have gotten window tint done.

For starters I was thinking of getting 35% all around (minus windshield). Technically 35% is illegal on the front windows in VA, but I'm pretty sure I could get away with it. But here are my concerns:

Does rolling your windows down become an issue with scratching the film and stuff? Would hate to have that happen esp. since I enjoy driving windows down on nice days.

What is the best way to keep the inside of the glass clean? Right now I'm able to keep the inside of the windows pretty much spot less by wiping them down with a moist rag, and then following that with a dry one.

How long is the film supposed to last, and how can you tell if the shop does a quality job? I found one around me that has good reviews, and for a 4 door car they charge $210. Does that seem about right?

That's it for right now, if I think of anything else I'll add it. Also feel free to interject any other advice you might have. Thanks in advance..

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
It amazes me that people will spend the money on window tint, knowing that the % they choose , is ILLEGAL.

and you are in VA where COPS are very strict.

Follow the law on tinting and it won't cost you as much.

Good luck. Sounds like you will need it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I was going to get mine done this summer but I decided against it, herd way to many horror stories of people having to constantly go back to the shops to get the windows re-done from peeling, scratching, fading and color changing. I decided it's just not worth it. Even people who went to "quality" shops had problems. No matter how highly rated the shop is you can't avoid the scratching, yeah most shops have a lifetime warranty but thats mostly because they know the scratching and what not is going to happen, I just didn't feel like going through the aggravation of having to keep bringing my car in constantly for my windows to be re-done. And that's a good price because I have a coupe and they wanted to charge me the same.

·
08 EX-L Nav Sedan
25 Posts
Tint...

Personal choice again. Can you scratch tint?...yes. Can you scratch up the interior of your car?..yes..how about the paint on the exterior?..yes. It's all about care.
Use soap and water for cleaning. It is not good to use any ammonia based product, such as Windex, when cleaning window tint. Over time, use of ammonia can react with the tint and cause blotching on your windows.
Most people scratch up their tint when removing their set belts or holding their keys, etc. I've had several cars tinted and have never had an issue of peeling, fading, etc and have probably replaced a tint on one window in the last 7 years due to a scratch.
A good reputable tint shop will give you plenty of advice and direction on care. I've gone with both 3M and Llumar...avoid Autozone tint. :lmao:
Kudzu has done well for some in finding a tint shop with a good warranty. I have always for some reason had my tint done during warm sunny days and let the car sit out in the sun as much as possible over the next 2-3 days keeping an eye out for any possible bubbles, etc. Good luck !

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
A good reputable tint shop will give you plenty of advice and direction on care. I've gone with both 3M and Llumar...
Just to add. A good reputable tint shop will not do illegal tints. If they do, than the sentence before is moot.

·
08 EX-L Nav Sedan
25 Posts
To add...

Please be firm on your decision...once the tint is done and set (back window) it is a PIA to get perfectly removed. Granted someone may reply and say they've had no issues but again that's the quality of the tint. Some adhere much better than others.

Dang..another two cents. Almost up to a whopping nickle.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have 35% on the front and rear door windows and 20% on the rear window and I have had no unwanted attention by the police in Virginia. Even when I got pulled for speed back in October there was no mention of my tint.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. Understood about paying for something that is technically illegal. That is one reason why I haven't pulled the trigger on getting tint done. Say if I were to stay legal and went 50% all the way around (not a fan of different percents front and rear, think it doesn't look good), would that even be worth it/would the windows even look tinted?

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you find a cop whose "thing" is tint, you will get a ticket. Trust me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
5% all the way lol. In all seriousness though, I live in MD (strict cops), have had tint on numerous cars and have ran with 20% with only one ticket in 10 some odd years from a rookie state trooper.

If you want to keep your nose clean just go with 35% all around since you already have stock tint on the windows and get a 5% tint strip on the front windshield (a must have!). Wouldn't bother with the sunroof ether, kind of a waste IMO.

·
Registered
137 Posts
We've put tint on all our vehicles. It can scratch, but if you're careful, you should have no problems. It's all about finding the right shop as far as fogging peeling. We've never had an issue.

As to the legal vs. illegal debate, we usually go with a darker than legal tint and never have had a problem. Most shops will do it, but they will not warranty it, so just be aware of that. I would think 35% will give you no problems. We usually run about 20%.

Our coupe came with 35% already on it, and it makes me crazy it's so light! But, it is expensive to remove...it's gonna cost me $500 to remove old tint and replace with new. I do plan to do it this summer though...

I really don't think you'll regret the tint and it improves the look of the car so much!

·
Registered
533 Posts
So, been thinking of getting tint done on my Accord ever since I got her, but a few things have been holding me back, and I have a few questions for those that have gotten window tint done.

For starters I was thinking of getting 35% all around (minus windshield). Technically 35% is illegal on the front windows in VA, but I'm pretty sure I could get away with it. But here are my concerns:

Does rolling your windows down become an issue with scratching the film and stuff? Would hate to have that happen esp. since I enjoy driving windows down on nice days.

What is the best way to keep the inside of the glass clean? Right now I'm able to keep the inside of the windows pretty much spot less by wiping them down with a moist rag, and then following that with a dry one.

How long is the film supposed to last, and how can you tell if the shop does a quality job? I found one around me that has good reviews, and for a 4 door car they charge $210. Does that seem about right?

That's it for right now, if I think of anything else I'll add it. Also feel free to interject any other advice you might have. Thanks in advance..
I had my Accord tinted like 2 weeks after I got the car. I always get my cars tinted. I got a gray sedan w/ black interior & I had the shop tint it the "dark" tint, i'm not sure on the %, but it is the one under "limo" shade. I had the same shade done all around the car & it looks good, & still easy to see out of at night.

As far as what is illigal & not, find out what your state laws are, because I know here in California any tint on the front windows is illigal.

Now for my cars & window tint cleaning, a damp towel & dry with a clean micro fiber towel will usually do the job, but I have used Stoner's glass cleaner on the tint with out any issues.

Now your other concerns about the film being scratched or not is all on how good of a job your tint shop does, there are stips running on the inside of the door pannel between the pannel & window, if the shop just bends those in you will have problems, but a good shop usually will not do that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
851 Posts
5% all around

·
Registered
283 Posts
Say if I were to stay legal and went 50% all the way around (not a fan of different percents front and rear, think it doesn't look good), would that even be worth it/would the windows even look tinted?
When I had my civic the front windows were tinted at 50% and you could hardly tell the difference between no tint and tinted

·
Registered
685 Posts
5% way too dark!
Now that is way to dark, although the look is great.

I got mine done about 6 months ago and have absolutely no problems. Getting 50% on all the windows is kind of silly bec 50% is not that dark. I got 50% in front and 40% on rear because OH law is 50% on fronts. I wanted darker on the back but too dark it will look bad and the front ones will look dumb. I wanted to go illegal but if I get pulled over then I had to pay for the tint, plus a ticket, plus to go back to the place and get it stripped and tinted legally. Its a ridiculous process that is not worth it at least for states like OH. Also, if you get your windshield tinted like 75% which is probably legal in most states or even just 50% will make everything else darken up a bit. Sounds like you need somewhere around 40% or so. Keep in mind 17% is what most stock suvs have which is pretty dark. My advice is to go to somewhere where they have a reputable product and service as well. I have not had any scratching or anything. I clean mine with a lint free rag or water and a rag. Mine was $200 for the back and front. Much more than that you shouldnt be goin there. 210 sounds reasonable certainly!
:naughty:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have 35% all around in NC. I've gotten pulled probably 5-6 times in 1.5 years (all at night). Apparently my tint looks illegal at night to the d1ck cops around here. No issues with scratching and only paid $180 with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I want to have my side mirrors tinted to stop the glare from people behind, I just wanted to know if anyone has done this and, would it be an issue when the mirror heaters are turned on? I would suspect no as it doesn't in the rear of the vehicle. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts