Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to this forum and I must say you guys know your Accords. I have a question and I was hoping some of you guys would give your opinion.I own a 2006 EXL V6 Auto. with 42,000 miles that I bought new. While I was getting my oil changed today at the dealership, (I had a $19.95 coupon) a service tech came over to me with the proverbial clip board. :( I know I need brakes, no surprise there, but he also said I need the brake fluid service $112.00, coolant fluid service $95.00, and power steering fluid service, $97.00. At 4 years old and 42k mi. should these things be done?

I know I can get these things done cheaper at a reliable shop but I want to keep this car for a long time, and I know the dealer I use uses BG Products. If I really should have these things done to aid with the longevity of the car I'll probably pay the extra $ at the dealership.

Any and all opinions welcome.Thanks in advance. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Welcome to DA.

Brake fluid should be flushed out and replaced since brake fluid natrally absorbs moisture over time and can cause expensive corrosion issues in the long term, coolant and power steering fluid should be fine still, provided no one has contaminated the blue Honda coolant with other green color coolant.......

·
Registered
230 Posts
those guys are just looking to get money ya its good to do those things but you don't have to..... its only 4 years old i would hold out for an other year or so.... you should just go to auto zone get a two sets of ceramic break pads and do it your self it will take you an hour and save you a lot of money.....

·
No longer active
702 Posts
I'm brand new to this forum and I must say you guys know your Accords. I have a question and I was hoping some of you guys would give your opinion.I own a 2006 EXL V6 Auto. with 42,000 miles that I bought new. While I was getting my oil changed today at the dealership, (I had a $19.95 coupon) a service tech came over to me with the proverbial clip board. :( I know I need brakes, no surprise there, but he also said I need the brake fluid service $112.00, coolant fluid service $95.00, and power steering fluid service, $97.00. At 4 years old and 42k mi. should these things be done?

I know I can get these things done cheaper at a reliable shop but I want to keep this car for a long time, and I know the dealer I use uses BG Products. If I really should have these things done to aid with the longevity of the car I'll probably pay the extra $ at the dealership.

Any and all opinions welcome.Thanks in advance. :)
Short answer - most likely not.
Per the manual there are two schedules, severe and normal. Both recommend the following:
Brake fluid - replace every three years, regardless of mileage. If this hasn't been done, it might be a good idea to take care of this now.
Coolant: every 120,000 miles or 10 years. The dealership is trying to F you out of money.
There is no recommendation for power steering fluid. However, most mechanics will tell you to change this whenever you change your coolant (which is likely why they are telling you to have this done). Honda puts high mileage steering fluid in so I can't see a reason to make this change now.
If I were you, I would seriously consider telling the dealership that you will be taking your car to a better shop. Any shop that is trying to get you to spend money for unnecessary service isn't a good shop. Furthermore, I might just let Honda know about it. They are interested in keeping their reputation for good service and high quality cars. I'd also likely have a talk with the service manager and GM as well. Because they would have lost my business, it's important for those folks to know why.
I had this exact same issue with a dealer I used to frequent for service when I lived in the city. At around 25k, I stopped in for an oil change. They recommended I do the 30k service (whatever that means), so I did. I took my car in again for an oil change at 30k and they recommended that I do the 30K service. When I told them that I had the 30k service at 25k, they recommended that I do it anyway. Then they told me to have my air cleaner element and pollen filter replaced as well. So, like a ****er, I did. At 35k, they recommended the 40k, which I turned down. Two weeks ago, my car hit 40k and I took it to my local Jiffy Lube (I moved and JL is down the road). They pulled my air cleaner element and pollen filter. They were the factory originals and filthy (the dealership didn't change either, though they did take my money).
Needless to say, the GM of the Honda shop and Honda got a nasty little email followed by a nasty letter (plus a yelp review). Point is, some dealerships are terrible. Get the brake fluid done (preferably elsewhere). In terms of brakes, Car-X still offers lifetime replacement - if you plan on keeping the car for another 40k, it might pay off.

·
Registered
273 Posts
just do your brake pads and brake fluid... shop around town for foreign specialty shops, or get a buddy who knows to help you, simple stuff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'll take every ones advice and dump this dealership. There's a Repair One shop in my town that has a good reputation, and they use Honda parts when requested, (at least that's what I was told). I'm going to get a price from them for the brakes and brake fluid. Thanks again for all the replies.

·
Registered
56 Posts
should be fine with the fluids. you shouldn't do any fluid change unless it's from the stealer or you're doing it yourself using genuine honda fluids. especially coolant and power steering.(I prefer DIY just because it's cheaper and the good feeling after you're done)

you still have a long way untill you get to the fluid changes

coolant service is drain and fill. they do not flush because it will damage the plastic radiator. (DIY drain and fill is easy and fast and not $95). check manual to locate drain plug.

P/S fluid is a little more work but easy depending on how much fluid you want to replace. I just let whatever drain out from the bottom return hose into a container, inlet from the reservoir to the pump, and emtpy out the reservoir. make sure you clean/wipe out the black build up in the reservoir before you put it back. (definately not $97)

remember you can deterimine if your coolant is still good with a tester. unless you F****D up and not use the blue honda coolant.

I don't have anything to tell you about the brake fluid just because I haven't done that yet.

·
No longer active
702 Posts
For the record, brake fluid should be changed every 3 years, regardless of mileage. Just got back from having my new brakes installed - I had them replace the brake fluid as well (my car is 5 years old - it was time).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts