Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disproven in Audis. Disproven in Toyotas. If you can't succeed, why stop?

NHTSA reviews claim of Honda acceleration
Federal investigators look into claims of unintended acceleration in a Honda Accord hybrid
AP
On Monday November 22, 2010, 9:37 pm

DETROIT (AP) -- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will decide whether to open a full-fledged investigation into possible acceleration problems with the Honda Accord gas-electric hybrid, according to documents posted on the federal agency's website Monday.

A woman, who was not identified, filed a complaint seeking an investigation and recall of the 2005 Accord Hybrid after a crash in July 2005 that left her injured and a passenger dead. Several people in other cars were injured, the documents said.

About 25,000 vehicles would be affected by an investigation, NHTSA said.

The woman told the agency that her car crashed into oncoming traffic after she drove over rumble strips on the side of a highway. The vehicle first lost braking power, and then the car accelerated on its own, the woman said.

NHTSA said it will decide whether or not to investigate the Accord Hybrid for possible recall due to problems with antilock brake controls.

NHTSA's documents said the woman found 22 similar complaints in NHTSA's database involving Accord and Civic hybrids, although it was unclear if the Civic Hybrid would be included in NHTSA's inquiry. The similar incidents involved inadequate brake performance while driving over uneven surfaces, the documents said.

The woman reported that she was disabled in the crash, but the documents did not state where it occurred.

Honda said in a statement issued late Monday that it's too early to comment on the complaint. Its conventional and hybrid cars have redundant braking systems, and Honda has a relatively low number of unintended acceleration complaints, the statement said.

HTSA said in an e-mailed statement that the woman complained of brake failure in the case but did not tell NHTSA about the crash until May 8, 2010, almost five years after it occurred. The agency has not yet verified the woman's contention that there are 22 related complaints, the statement said.

"During our review of the defect petition, we will conduct an analysis of this matter and decide if the petition should be granted and an investigation opened. At that time, we will have a much more complete assessment of the number of related complaints and whether other Honda models have a potential defect," the statement said.

NHTSA, the statement said, takes the frequency of complaints and severity of incidents into account when it decides whether to open an investigation. The agency, she wrote, gets about 30,000 complaints per year and looks for patterns that could indicate defects or present serious risks of injury.

Honda Motor Co.'s main rival, Toyota Motor Corp., has been plagued with a series of unintended acceleration complaints that have resulted in the recall of more than 10 million vehicles worldwide over the last year. Most of the recalls were due to floor mats that snagged gas pedals or accelerators that stuck. Hundreds of lawsuits were filed against Toyota after it began issuing the recalls.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
The woman told the agency that her car crashed into oncoming traffic after she drove over rumble strips on the side of a highway. The vehicle first lost braking power, and then the car accelerated on its own, the woman said.
Which means the power steering would have remained functional during all this time, so how does this person explain she could not steer and keep the car in her own lane, but instead drove over the rumble strips into the on coming traffic?

·
Registered
191 Posts
First off, why didn't she use her steering wheel to stay on her side of the road? Sounds like someone was dozing off at the wheel... She's probably trying to point the finger at someone else for her mistakes. She probably blamed the braking after the whole Toyota craziness. She researched on her own and out of the thousands of accords and civics that have been made in the last 5 years, only 22 people complained about the car having "similar problems." With those kinds of numbers on her side, anyone would have to lean on the side of human error over factory error...

·
Registered
312 Posts
In this instance, the driver of a 2005 Accord Hybrid said that she was driving over rumble strips on the side of a highway, and when she tried to apply the brakes, the car sped up and caused her to cross into oncoming traffic.

--autoblog.com, 11/23/2010
Panic, mash gas pedal? Unfortunate story, but this would be my guess.

·
O do u know the buffinman
4,560 Posts
What ever happened to "Personal Responsablity"??

It is a shame that today in our society more people seem to always want to blame something or someone else for their mistakes!!!:thumbsdow

I1:yes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
What ever happened to "Personal Responsablity"??

It is a shame that today in our society more people seem to always want to blame something or someone else for their mistakes!!!:thumbsdow

I1:yes:
:thmsup:

My theory on the Toyotas is that people bought these cars with "Cash for Clunkers", couldn't make the payments, and concocted these stories to get out. Make sense?

·
Registered
663 Posts
As a owner of Accord hybrid 2007 I will comment on it.
I bought this car brand new from the dealer.
The car had very touchy accelerator and brakes while it was new.
After first few months of ownership and around 20k miles the problem raised.
This happened in winter time. My car started to vibrate very badly with light acceleration after warm-up time (when started to use IMA) until I stop it and shut off completely for 5 minutes. Then I could resume my driving for the rest of my route with no vibration.
I brought it to the dealer and they asked me to leave it overnight. They returned me a car saying that they updated my computer.
After that I never got the same car as before. The car became very reluctant on acceleration compare to original settings. It seemed to me that they turn down IMA quite a lot to resolve the problem with the vibration. All of this did not fix the problem with vibration but more like masked it.
Now concerning unintended acceleration of the car I never experienced one.
But what I experienced few times that if I floor the gas while climbing the hill on the highway then occasionally my car might kept the same speed even if I take my foot off the gas. Luckily the brakes worked with no failure.
So my opinion that this car which has dual power-train on board and whole bunch of sensors and computers may potentially go out of whack resulting in sudden short term acceleration or breaking which may be unexpected for the driver.
No wonder Honda pull the plug for this car. The company let go a raw product come on the market.

·
Registered
708 Posts
My god, soon people are going to complain that their cars are accelerating when they're turned off. It's ridiculous.

·
Banned
1,227 Posts
daimler/bmw//vw/audi/nissan/fiat/jaguar/land rover/GM all have implemented brake override fo the drive by wire throttle from day one.

Toyota/honda/Ford, who all came out with the technology really 5-7 years after the aforementioned manufactures, didn't, in an apparent cost saving measure. Toyota's problems and the associated media circus could have been avoided if this technology had been implemented.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
My god, soon people are going to complain that their cars are accelerating when they're turned off. It's ridiculous.
Yeah, but imagine the incredible fuel economy they are going to get!

I would love to have one of THOSE cars and tell the oil companies to stuff it! :banana:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts