Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps I shouldn't have titled this as a question. Most folks probably realize this, but I had the misconception that the 7 year replacement requirement applied to all of the 7th gen. And of course I realize the mileage intervals that also apply. I personally may have misunderstood since we own a 03 in addition to my 06.

Anyhow, I kind of wonder why Honda made the change to their recommended service requirements? I can think of 4 reasons why they might have done so:

1. They changed the belt specifications so the timing belt isn't prone to failure based on age.

2. Honda's internal statistics or experience indicated that 7th gen timing belts were not failing due to age.

3. The maintenance minder is sufficient to determine when the belt needs to be changed.

4. Honda erred in omitting the 7 yr requirement or was overly influenced by marketing considerations.

My car exceeded 7 yrs as of 10-2013 and I did confirm that there is no pending maintenance minder sub-code 4 that would call for a timing belt replacement and my mileage is under 60,000 miles. As an aside, I didn't change the belt on my wife's 03 until the car was 9 years old - - mostly due to procrastination. And I don't mean to recommend that anyone not follow the recommended service intervals.
Reading a recent thread caused me to realize my misunderstanding related to the different service interval requirements applicable to the 06-07 Accords vs. the 03-05's. Since I was finally taking my car in for the power steering hose recall I was also going to have the timing belt-water pump replaced at the same time. Whew - - that's going to save me a good chunk of money for now! :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Car does not keep track of time. It's the owner responsibility.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There IS a 7yr/105k (60k for extreme environments) recommended schedule for the t-belt on the 7 and 7.5 V6s.
Possibly I missed the 7 year requirement for the 7.5 gen in both the owner's manual and the factory authorized Helms Service Manual? Maybe you can show me where the 7 year requirement is located? And as I already noted in my post I've fully aware of the mileage requirements.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Possibly I missed the 7 year requirement for the 7.5 gen in both the owner's manual and the factory authorized Helms Service Manual? Maybe you can show me where the 7 year requirement is located? And as I already noted in my post I've fully aware of the mileage requirements.
I could not find 7 year TB replacement interval in owner's manual. It's only mileage driven.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could not find 7 year TB replacement interval in owner's manual. It's only mileage driven.
Thank you. But I was kind of hoping that jimijam would answer my question. :)

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I understand you believe you are smarter than Honda. :notworthy
Since you failed to point out where Honda recommends that the timing belt be replaced after 7 years for the 7.5 gen I'll ask again - - where is it? Or was your statement regarding 7 years incorrect? I don't see where I indicating that I'm "smarter then Honda".

·
I <3 My Honda
3,916 Posts
Tomato...tamoto... stop arguing and taking up his thread, Jimi. You haven't proven that the above stated is wrong yet...and are now just arguing for the sake of argument lol. If you're afraid that it is incorrect information...it's a job that is done at the owner's discretion, anyhow. There are certain cars that I didn't trust and chose to replace the t-belt 20k miles before the suggested mileage; and there are cars where I waited way after and the original belt still had tons of life left. So if someone is going to read this and use it as their bible...as with anything posted on a forum...that's their own choice and can't blame anyone but themselves if something does happen.

Anyhow, thanks for the FYI, ypsibird :thmsup: I just received an email the other day from my dealership for 15% off a timing belt job but I, too, am under 60k miles and do not plan on changing it any time soon just because my car is approaching 7 years old. My buddy has over 338k miles on his '06 V6 AT Sedan and it's still on the original T-belt, WP & Thermo. Case in point.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,512 Posts
Any 7th gen V6 owner can wait as long as he/she wants too. I waited over 8 years myself on my 03. But, I don't think you will get any sympathy from Honda, if your 06-07 belt snaps or jumps timing after the 7 years, even if you have an extended warranty. I see the 7 year interval as a conservative suggestion, which can be adjusted for low miles.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyhow, thanks for the FYI, ypsibird :thmsup: I just received an email the other day from my dealership for 15% off a timing belt job but I, too, am under 60k miles and do not plan on changing it any time soon just because my car is approaching 7 years old. My buddy has over 338k miles on his '06 V6 AT Sedan and it's still on the original T-belt, WP & Thermo. Case in point.
You're welcome. I was hoping my post would be beneficial to someone like you. And I want to thank you for your input. I was looking for input such as yours. I have a personal agenda since I have an appointment to replace my timing belt (& ps hose per recall) on Tuesday. Since Honda provides no written requirement or recommendation to replace the timing belt after 7 years for the 7.5 gen I plan to cancel the belt service unless I get information from the forum that convinces me that I should replace it prior to Honda's official service information. You know - -kind of like the 100,000+ V6 ATF fluid recommendation. If the dealer tries to tell me that it's required, rest assured I will politely request that they show me the requirement in writing! Who knows, maybe it's hidden where I can't find it or in an official Honda ServiceBulletin or ServiceNews that I'm unaware of. BTW my local dealers currently have a $100 coupon for the timing belt/water pump service. With my dealers high prices that's pretty close to your 15% off. :)

I don't think you will get any sympathy from Honda, if your 06-07 belt snaps or jumps timing after the 7 years, even if you have an extended warranty.
Also, thanks for your input. You may be correct about the lack of sympathy. But I question how they can have any beef when there seems to be no 7
year requirement for the 7.5 gen!
I have a 03-06 pdf Helms Service Manual (w/V6 supplement) on my laptop. I can easily read the different requirements for the 03-05 V6 and the 06. The 06 clearly omits the 7 year requirement. Possibly for one of the 4 reasons I noted in my initial post. Or perhaps another reason. But it's simply not there. I've never found any errors to date in the pdf manual.

BTW if anyone doubts what I'm saying about the Helms Service Manual I can cut & paste the applicable section so they can read it for themselves. So far drozzin concurs that it's not in the owners manual.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,916 Posts
Hey, no problem! But when we both do go and get our belts done, all I can say is be grateful that our TB jobs are 9x/10 < $500. I have the receipt to prove this, but the TB, W/P, Thermo job on my A6 Bi-turbo cost $2,200+ at Audi :eek: Basically, the entire front end and side fender has to be removed to even get to the TB on the 2.7L engines...so when I do go to change this one, it's going to feel like chump change lmao (FYI the prev owner paid for the Audi's TB job, not me!! :D)

Here's food for thought...you're in Michigan...if I end up moving to WI, and since we're both at ~60k miles w/ 7.5G coupes...maybe we can go together and get a 2-for-1 special LOL ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
To add to the confusion, what about environmental factor? More temperature extremes, as can be had in MI or in Arizona, has got to come into play when the "severe duty" phrase in mentioned.

Tell me this, Honda warranty it's batteries for 3 years free replacement in the US, why is it only for 2 years in Canada? Is Buffalo temperature warmer than Toronto in the winter? Of course not, yet warranty conditions are different.

As one of my friend said very well: "You would rather change timing belt 10,000 miles early, than 0.1 miles late."

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To add to the confusion, what about environmental factor? More temperature extremes, as can be had in MI or in Arizona, has got to come into play when the "severe duty" phrase in mentioned.

As one of my friend said very well: "You would rather change timing belt 10,000 miles early, than 0.1 miles late."
From the service manual (sub item 4) covering environmental factors:

"Replace timing belt (see page 6-20), if the vehicle is regularly driven in very high temperatures (over110°F, 43°C), or in very low temperatures (under -20°F, -29°C), replace every 60,000 miles (U.S.)/100,000 km (Canada) and inspect water pump (see page 10-5)."

Obviously -20 F or +110 F is very extreme and highly unlikely to effect most owners. Note that it does say "regularly". As of the 7.5 (and it's the same for the 8th gen) Honda's service recommendation is to replace the timing belt when the maintenance minder shows a sub code 4. I plan to follow Honda's recommendation unless I learn something compelling to convince me to do it early. To date I haven't seen reports that the timing belt is prone to early failure.

·
Roll Tide!
7,678 Posts
I'd rather play russian roulette with the 7.5G belt because it HAS to be better than the 7G belt that honda wants changed on time or mileage. At the rate I'm spinning the clock, I'll be due for my first belt replacement in another 7.5-8 years, which gives me a little over 15 years on one belt....a good idea, no? :lmao: seriously though, i've learned the difference between maintenance and repair. ;)

1 - 20 of 90 Posts