Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - hoping for some guidance here.

I have an 07 Accord LX, 4 cylinder, 5 speed sedan. I recently had an aftermarket throwout bearing go bad so we ended up replacing the entire clutch assembly using OEM parts. Since that time the car was running great until this morning...

On my way to work I felt the car buck a few times and the check engine light came on. Once I got into traffic the car refused to accelerate. After about 40 yards I was able to get going enough to get into 2nd and make it to my office. In neutral the RPM's would increase normally, but once in gear it wouldn't move.

Any Thoughts? I put a lot of money into this car this year and refuse to do it again.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Who replaced it.... a shop? You can see where I'm going with this.... warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was actually my Uncle. I am assuming their is a relation from his work to this problem, just wanted some input.

·
Banned
14,429 Posts
Bad install....

If your manual transmission shifted fine after a new Honda clutch, but then just revs, you can bet the mechanic did not use a proper clutch alignment tool. Didn't you ever smell burning clutch? I bet you will need a new one.

Now if it were a substandard aftermarket clutch- say from the incompetent clowns of RPS Clutch/Turbo Clutch, then I would say sue them in a court of law because their clutches are not machined well, and in some cases- 2,000 miles, they fail. They actually use customers as test dummies.

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
It was actually my Uncle. I am assuming their is a relation from his work to this problem, just wanted some input.
Well it does sound transmission related. Have you checked the fluids? Meaning tranny gear oil and brake fluid in clutch master cylinder.

·
Reverse Gear
1,045 Posts
Hi All - hoping for some guidance here.

I have an 07 Accord LX, 4 cylinder, 5 speed sedan. I recently had an aftermarket throwout bearing go bad so we ended up replacing the entire clutch assembly using OEM parts. Since that time the car was running great until this morning...

On my way to work I felt the car buck a few times and the check engine light came on. Once I got into traffic the car refused to accelerate. After about 40 yards I was able to get going enough to get into 2nd and make it to my office. In neutral the RPM's would increase normally, but once in gear it wouldn't move.

Any Thoughts? I put a lot of money into this car this year and refuse to do it again.
I have an 07 accord, also a stick shift. Mine did the exact same thing when it was 2 years old. It was a faulty sensor. Cars are computers these days, and I am a computer programmer. Instinct told me "reboot" and so I shut the car off and restarted it, and the symptoms went away for the 1/2 day that I continued to drive it. Mine was under warranty at the time. The CEL remained on after the restart, and that's what allowed the dealer to diagnose and fix. Oh and BTW, it didn't seem like it would have been an expensive fix had it not been under warranty. Probably $200 or less. Here I am 100,000 miles later and it didn't happen again, so it sounds like the sensor was indeed the cause.

Being that you just had your clutch replaced, it is very possible that whatever sensor this is (assuming that its the same one that went bad for me) got knocked around during the process and its just a matter of tightening the connection.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Pull the code(s) from the ECM and that will hopefully tell you what you are dealing with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice from you all. I took it for a spin after lunch and the CEL stayed on, but the car drove fine. In regards to the transmission, it shifts smooth with no grinding or scents. I am inclined to lean towards poor sensor, but I am going to to pull the codes after work and cross my fingers that every thing goes ok. This car has been a money pit this year and I don't think I can handle another high dollar fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As expected nothing related to the transmission.

Code 2138, Faulty Accelerator Sensor. Advanced had one on the shelf so I picked it up and put it in. It was a pretty simple install other than getting the unit out from behind the AC lines. I found a video on YouTube which made it a quick process. I can sense overall improvement with how the car responds and haven't had any issues since it was installed.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed, I had the same issue on my TSX only I have an automatic. When the failure occurs on the automatic the gas pedal goes dead, the transmission slams and locks into 3rd gear and the throttle barley opens and of course the VSA, check engine, and ABS lights come on. You can reset it by turning off the engine and starting it back up again. It is quite a shock the first time it happens.

·
Reverse Gear
1,045 Posts
As expected nothing related to the transmission.

Code 2138, Faulty Accelerator Sensor. Advanced had one on the shelf so I picked it up and put it in. It was a pretty simple install other than getting the unit out from behind the AC lines. I found a video on YouTube which made it a quick process. I can sense overall improvement with how the car responds and haven't had any issues since it was installed.
Nice!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts