Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some idiot hit and ran my car Tuesday morning while it was parked up town:mad:. Since my deductible is $500, I think I can get a used fender and fix it myself for less than that. At least they didn't rip the headlight and the front bumper off. It's going to stay this way until work picks up. I assume there is no point in reporting this, because the police wouldn't do anything for me.

·
2005 Accord EX-L *SSM*
423 Posts
Ah shoot, I'm really sorry to hear that man. I know how distressing it can be when something like that happens when you work hard to keep your property looking nice.

Any cameras by where you were parked?

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
I too am sorry to hear. I see the pride you take in your ride and in how you conduct yourself here. I know you painted it yourself, too.

A phone call to the police may not do anything but if they did pick up someone for drunk driving a few minutes later- you never know.....

Don't know what a fender costs....you still have your paint code, right?

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the area for cameras, and didn't see any. I will probably file a report, just in case, but considering the amount of damage, no injuries, and no witnesses, I don't have much faith in it amounting to anything. Yes, Rick as long as I can find a fender at a reasonable price, the rest will be easy. At least I know the paint hasn't faded yet, and I can get the same paint from the same place I got it the first time. I'm in no big hurry, since the car functions just fine (even the headlight), but I'm going to start checking the salvage yards for fenders. I've had a lot of practice as far as the body work goes. Thanks for the good wishes.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a nice color. How much is the insurance gonna increase by now?
I just painted it myself less than a year ago, because the clear coat was peeling. The car used to be Black. I'm not going to claim it on my insurance, because I figure I can fix it myself for the $500 deductible or less. I'm frustrated that my car I've worked so hard on is now damaged, but what is done is done, and I'll deal with it best I can. I just wish I could get my hands on the person who hit my car, and just took off. I hope he/she is having trouble living with him/herself for doing this.

·
2005 Accord EX-L *SSM*
423 Posts
I just painted it myself less than a year ago, because the clear coat was peeling. The car used to be Black. I'm not going to claim it on my insurance, because I figure I can fix it myself for the $500 deductible or less. I'm frustrated that my car I've worked so hard on is now damaged, but what is done is done, and I'll deal with it best I can. I just wish I could get my hands on the person who hit my car, and just took off. I hope he/she is having trouble living with him/herself for doing this.

I know man, I'd like to think karma runs it's course. Makes me sleep better at night. On the plus side you have the skills and the resources to correct the mistake that would probably cost anyone else double.

Keep us up to date. :thmsup:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Man, that sux big time. Probably some goofball driving without insurance did it. I have the same deductible on my insurance and I think I would do the same thing that you're planning. Just fix it yourself without submitting a claim to them. Hope it goes well.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
So sorry to see this, man. I remember how hard you worked painting that car. If you know any mechanics or shops, have them order an aftermarket fender for you so you get wholesale price.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sorry to see this!
Nothing hurts more than a well maintained ride that gets hit like this by someone who wont leave a note behind.
In the Jax area, the 7th gens are now making rounds of the junk yards pretty regularly, hope you get a new fender soon!

·
4,637 Posts
I think a good PDR guy could push most of that out. Probably get it 95% at least. Talk to him first to see if he thinks he can get it back to normal. Less than $100 I'm thinking. Then do your paint magic to it. Good as new.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
You'd be surprised how many people drive without insurance.

And it's usually the worst drivers that do so.

·
Carpe Diem
2,565 Posts
I'd suggest reporting it to the police, otherwise you won't be able to make an insurance claim if you end up deciding you want to.

I know how you feel, I've had my share of hit and runs. Nothing worse than having no one to blame.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, we went to the police and did a report. That will, no doubt, be a colossal waste of time. I am 99% sure it was one of the cars that went through the Capital One drive-through between 8:30 and 11:30 AM. I'm sure the bank has records or video of who went through that drive-through in that time frame, and on a Tuesday morning I doubt that would be a very high number. When I passed there this morning at about 9:00AM there were no cars in the drive-through. There is obviously damage and or Blue paint on the right front of the vehicle. I bet if it was a friend or relative of the officer he would find out who it was. The officer was obviously just doing what he had to do, and will do nothing else. So disappointed, but I should have expected as much.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
BLCKFLSH: Please put "gentleman's pressure" on the police officer and perhaps the chief of police to review the tape.

I don't want to play internet detective, but if 5-0 thinks insurance will handle it and who cares, then you gotta go get a blow torch and a pair of pliers and go to work on the culprit.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went to the bank, and the only camera they have, that I saw, was pointed at the ATM, which is the opposite direction. Even if the camera was pointed in that direction, the covered walk it's attached to would block the view. I'm sure the bank has time stamped records of the transactions made during that time, but I don't think they will give me that information. When I told the cop this, he said it would be a "long list", inferring that he wasn't willing to do that much work for me. He didn't act like he was willing to do any "work" at all IMO. Maybe I'm wrong, but I got the impression he just didn't care from the start. Maybe he just didn't want to get my hopes up, that he would find the culprit, but I don't see him doing much at all for me. I could just imagine him walking back in the police office, sticking our report in some file cabinet, and never looking at it again. Even when I suggested at the beginning that the driver had probably come from the drive-through, because of where the car was hit, and the rear view mirror not being hit, he looked at me like I was a cop wanna-be.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts