Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellllp.

The heat in my car has gone from barely warm to cold in the last few weeks. I've been reading a lot of potential causes and today I thought I tackled them all...to no avail.

Today I replaced the thermostat and flushed the coolant. I also flushed my heater core juts like shown in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcL_0TWeZJY

I got a lot of junk out of the heater core and was really optimistic that it would resolve the problem. To finish it all off I tried to bleed the coolant system and jacking up the front end and letting it run for 20+ minutes while adding more coolant when it dropped.

The heater control value is operating just fine. I can see it move under the dash and under the hood both when I turn the temperature up/down.

I'm completely out of ideas and ready to take it into the mechanic unless anyone can give me some ideas or things to look for. Thanks, as always.

·
Elvira
3,436 Posts
The flapper in the valve may not be operating and you just see the actuator rod spinning the post. If you got a lot of junk out during the flush it may have jammed the valve earlier and broke it or jammed it closed.

Other than that does the engine run ok and your temp gauge reads ok?

Miker

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. Car runs great and the temperature gauge has always read as normal - just a little below half way.

Could I try inspecting this flapper, or try manually opening it by sticking a screw driver in there or something?

·
Registered
74 Posts
With the car at full operating temperature, just feel both heather hoses by hand, they should both feel hot. If the inlet is hot and the outlet is much cooler, you have a restriction in there somewhere. If both hoses feel hot, you may have a blend door issue in the heater box. Start with that and let us know how it goes.

·
Elvira
3,436 Posts
it can be inspected but you need to take it out of the hose. Or try moving it by hand after removing the cable.

maybe someone has a better method.

Miker

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
With the car at full operating temperature, just feel both heather hoses by hand, they should both feel hot. If the inlet is hot and the outlet is much cooler, you have a restriction in there somewhere. If both hoses feel hot, you may have a blend door issue in the heater box. Start with that and let us know how it goes.
Yup, good diagnostic approach.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts