Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there
This is my first post here but i've been reading and researching quite alot..

Here's the thing, I've got an 04 Accord and I hate my OEM headlights. They're too weak and at times can barely tell the difference from when they're on or not.

I've been wanting new headlights for a while, but since im such an idiot when it comes to car parts / maint. / installation, i always hesitated. Basically I have no idea what would best suit my car.

I am looking for something to last long, be bright, and look awesome. I don't want to be the a**hole that blinds people from a mile away, but I still want something that looks new and impressive.

I will most likely be seeking a professional to install them for me, but first I want to know which ones to buy?

Here's my ride:

(i've changed nothing about it. Thats how I bought it)

·
Registered
386 Posts
IDK but Nice car

·
Registered
44 Posts
go to sylvania.com and look up specs for lights on car. Get the super bright, clear white types...fairly inexpensive bulb replacements.

If you want your headlights entirely replaced, do HID's around 6,000 strong

most places will do the job for about $300 or less for everything.

have fun!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hid kits are plug and play they are very easy to install. Theres actually alot of threads on this but look into getting a retrofit done. Your will get a great light output and you won't be blinding anyone. The morimoto H1's are pretty plug and play but there are a variety of ways to go and plenty of people on here who would be more than willing to do the retro for you.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
like the other post down there... retrofit + HIDs. best thing to do. if you still want to stay halogen, check out the philips xtreme power bulbs. theyre still gonna be yellowish when you look at them but they shine alot further compared to the stock bulbs.
________
vaporizer

·
Registered
235 Posts
+1 for retrofits with HIDs. I have HIDs in the reflector housing and they're bright, but no where near and bright and precise as a retrofit projector with the HID bulb, that's the only way to go imo, if you want HIDs. But they are slightly expensive, depending on what all you do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought some sylvania ultra star about 6-8 months ago and they work great for about $40. But I am upgrading to a retrofit within the next month or two. It just depends on how much light you want.

·
2007 4DR EX-L V6 5AT
2,977 Posts
i know this is totally biased, but retrofit FTW!! yes they are more expensive, but you are doing it right when you do the retros. and compared to what they use to cost, you can get some that are pretty budget friendly (IMO). I know myself and thisaznboi99 do them, nodrog from above did it himself. i know people here will be more than willing to do them for you or help you through doing a retro yourself. I use to say I could never do my own retro, and now I am doing them for other people, so don't underestimate yourself!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good. Can anyone give me examples (links) of what you're talking about so I can get the perfect one?

Thanks guys

·
2007 4DR EX-L V6 5AT
2,977 Posts
you could google accord retrofit and look at the images. HID Illusionz has lots of examples on their site. 2nd link in my sig will have some pics. I have a lot of pictures. you can shoot me a PM and I can direct you to my pictures or IM me at LikitySplit2k6

·
Registered
48 Posts
heres the break down from cheapest to most expensive (as i understand it at this moment) because i just went threw this a few weeks ago

least to most expensive order
1. sylvania silverstar ultra bulbs 9006 for lows and 9005 for highs...walk in stores sell them from $40-$50 a pair as do most online retailers....BUT i have seen $40+ (sorry just checked ebay) deals on either amazon or ebay for a pair of BOTH 9005's AND 9006's

2. HID plug and play kit into your stock headlights (this is the most controversial and looked down upon method in this forum and many others due to HID's not being designed for regular headlights, glare, ect) mind you i chose this route and will probably get yelled at for it lol....can cost as little as $50-$200 and 30mins-2hrs of your time depending on how fat your hands are and flexible your wrists are lol

3. aftermarket headlights WITH projector lenses using said sylvania silverstar ultra bulbs (aftermarket headlights range in prices from $100+ i think

4. aftermarket headlights with projector lenses WITH a plug and play HID kit....problem is many aftermarket headlights cant handle the heat from HID's or just dont really do too good in general with them

5. retrofit...either your original headlights, spare set you buy or whatever and have REAL projectors from real hid/projector systems custom fit into a headlight housing (this is the most expensive but also the best lighting out of them all)

some may say go with piaa or 9005 or 9006 bulbs but @ prices of $60-$75 for 1 pair and performance vs value most ive talked to and read suggest the sylvania silverstar ultras

ps 9006 is low beams, 9005 is high beams

hope this helps and hope i dont get flammed lol

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
1. sylvania silverstar ultra bulbs 9006 for lows and 9005 for highs
I've never had a pair of silverstars last more than 4 months. They have a warranty (1 year I believe) and they'll replace the bulb if it burns out. It's kind of a PITA though.

I've had these for a year without issue. Great output with a slight grey color.

·
Registered
48 Posts
well i started this all out when my drivers low beam finally died..i went on the hunt for bright as i could get bulbs and instantly thought PIAA...called a friend and he said for the price of those two bulbs you can go "ghetto hid" which is what i did (hid in factory reflector housing) it has an up side of being brighter and whiter but downside of glare and distraction and pissed off oncoming and drivers in front of you (none of which ive had to deal with as of yet btw)

i think i saw some bad reviews of the ge nighthawks going bad fast thats why many said silverstar ultras BUT as sodaks2k just said hes never had a pair of ultras last more than 4 months lol

if your gonna go with normal halogens id either go silverstar ultra or the nighthawks or nighthawk platinum-(if they have them for our bulbs)

i wish i could afford retro's honestly because you get to use the full potential of HID lighting BUT i cant for awhile

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Big, you can DIY retros for about $200 now
thats all?

i saw the DIY youtube vid on but it looks like a PIA and id be afraid of screwing up and have the projector ****-eyed or something lol plus id prolly buy a set of headlights to try it out on...in case i mess up i still have lights LOL this is a daily driver and no mod plans for it...i still drive on hubcaps...actually walmart ones ATM since the factory honda ones finlly looked like &^$# after 5yrs

i was wondering...if i ever do decide to do it...could i retrofit into one of those aftermarket projector/led headlight housings for aftermarket look AND real projection HID?

sorry for the thread hijack lol

·
2007 4DR EX-L V6 5AT
2,977 Posts
I would stick with OEM and jsut paint or something. OEM quality is better and will last longer. There are PNP projectors now that make it much easier to DIY. I have done them and would be more than happy to help you if you take that route. Shoot me a PM for more questions so we can give the thread back to OP.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts