Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some back story first:

On Saturday I took my Honda in to the stealership for the airbag recall. As part of the procedure, they disconnected the negative terminal from the battery to remove power. Car runs and drives fine Saturday - Tuesday evening. Wednesday morning (yesterday), I go start the car to drive to work and I get no engine start. Electronics and all come up no problem. I hear the fuel pump prime, but that's it in regards to actual ignition system. There's no crank, not even clicking to tell me it's a bad battery issue.

I pop the hood to inspect the terminals knowing that the dealership had to cut power and found the negative terminal to be loose. I couldn't get the terminal to get any tighter as the nut was already pretty chewed up so I buy a new set of terminals. New terminals go on, and I go clamp them on again nice and tight. I go start the car and again, no start. Electronics and all come up no problem. I go re-inspect my terminals, and the positive is still nice and tight. However, the negative terminal is loose again. Like, I can just wiggle it gently and it'll come off no problem.

Now, I suspect a few things here:
  • Loose terminal doesn't allow for proper contact not permitting proper amperage to reach the starter
  • Bad negative terminal post on battery
  • Bad battery (specifically negative post)
  • Bad starter
I did use my multimeter and got a 12.58v reading at the battery. To ensure a good ground, I also tested voltage using a ground on the body. Again, I got 12.58v from the battery so I know that the ground cable is good.

I've heard that hitting the starter with a wrench or hammer would help in troubleshooting the starter. I did so and there was no change. The next thing I'm going to do today after work is take the battery to get tested, and possibly even swap the battery with the one from my wife's car if I need to.

Is there anything else I can try or do to help figure out what's going on here? I absolutely need my car up and running by tonight.

·
2020 best year
4,248 Posts
You can try to buy one of those metal battery terminal caps you can put on the negative so that the terminal can clamp down tightly.

If that's unavailable, you might be able to do something more ghetto, like using a pop can and cutting a long piece off of it, wrap it around the terminal and then clamp it down. Should be good enough until you can get a cap or another battery.

Sent from GM1917, technology or something like that.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
^What he said.
Starters are way more expensive than batteries, so like UnknownJinX said, rule that battery connector possibility out, before heading to the starter.
Even if that means get another terminal...one that fits that battery properly.

From what you said it was running fine before they loosened the terminal, right?
Go with that, because of, well, "Occam's razor"...and all.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm an idiot.

I left the car in "R" instead of "P".

😑🤦‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'll admit mistakes :)

Reactions: greg1c and 2Accordz

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Reactions: 2Accordz

·
Super Moderator
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
4,579 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New terminals in place.

Reactions: enne and greg1c

·
Kaua‘i North Shore Boi.Aloha❤️🤙💪😊
129 Posts
lol! Omg I've done that.. left it in R or D.. ugh. Well, glad it was minor! Unlike My front left lower ball joint bolt breaking in half! 😱😱😱😱
Aloha

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
2020 best year
4,248 Posts
Well, I'm an idiot.

I left the car in "R" instead of "P".

Oh.

Doesn't the car have a gear indicator in the cluster?

Well, at least you aren't that old lady I met at the ferry terminal a few weeks back. Everyone was getting onto the ferry and she couldn't crank her Camry. I walked by, looked inside(doesn't look like a dead battery) and told her to try and put her foot on the brake to crank. That did the trick.

(Off topic, but I am surprised that the Camry doesn't bother to tell you to put your foot on the brake to crank as it's a fairly new one. My Corvette/Camaro would both remind me to hold the clutch and, in Camaro's case, brake in to crank the car. Tsk tsk, Toyota. You'd think they would put a reminder in given their usual customer base.)

Sent from GM1917, technology or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Doesn't the car have a gear indicator in the cluster?
Totally missed this.

Yes, it does have the gear indicator in the cluster. The thing is I never pay attention to that when I'm starting the car. I know I should though, lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts