Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else hear their gas moving in their tank? I only notice it when I have about 3/4 tank. I have nothing in my trunk or back seat this is the first car I've ever owned that I hear this noise.

2015 sport 6sp

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Does anyone else hear their gas moving in their tank? I only notice it when I have about 3/4 tank. I have nothing in my trunk or back seat this is the first car I've ever owned that I hear this noise.

2015 sport 6sp
Yes, most noticeable for me between 4/4-3/4 tank.

My Dodge Magnum did the same at the same levels.

Jay

·
Elvira
3,403 Posts

2015 sport 6sp
yep and around 3/4 tank too. Normal, albeit somewhat disconcerting when I first noticed it.

·
2014 Accord EX-L Coupe
298 Posts
I hear it. At first I thought something lose was in the trunk...I have nothing in my trunk. It was then I realized it was the gas tank sloshing.

Cracked me up actually as it took me back to the mid 80's when my friend had an early 70's Civic and the fuel gauge didn't work. We'd fill up with like $1 gas and drive to a bar to have fun - on the way home we all had to get quiet and listen for the "gas slap" that meant we could get back home! Good times!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Every Accord I've owned dating back to the 6th gen has had a sloshing sound from the gas tank when above 3/4 or so. I honestly don't see how they could eliminate the noise without a ridiculous amount of sound deadening material above, and in front of, the gas tank. That said, it does seem to be louder in the 8th and 9th gen cars than I remember it being in the 6th and 7th gens. Coincidentally, I've noticed that the trunk floor liner has gotten thinner over the last few generations...

My 1991 Legend didn't have the sloshing noise, but it also had a very thick layer of sound deadening material attached to the spare tire cover in the trunk. It also didn't have a fold-down rear seat, meaning that there was probably more sound deadening behind the rear seatback as well.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Every Accord I've owned dating back to the 6th gen has had a sloshing sound from the gas tank when above 3/4 or so. I honestly don't see how they could eliminate the noise without a ridiculous amount of sound deadening material above, and in front of, the gas tank. That said, it does seem to be louder in the 8th and 9th gen cars than I remember it being in the 6th and 7th gens. Coincidentally, I've noticed that the trunk floor liner has gotten thinner over the last few generations...

My 1991 Legend didn't have the sloshing noise, but it also had a very thick layer of sound deadening material attached to the spare tire cover in the trunk. It also didn't have a fold-down rear seat, meaning that there was probably more sound deadening behind the rear seatback as well.
I understand the amount of extra material it would take like I said above my 07 TL didn't have this issue but then again the TL was a "luxury" sedan. Just more proof of how companies are cutting corners in order to save a buck.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I understand the amount of extra material it would take like I said above my 07 TL didn't have this issue but then again the TL was a "luxury" sedan. Just more proof of how companies are cutting corners in order to save a buck.
Having owned the last 4 generations of the Accord and first-hand experience with all but the 1st gen, I've noticed the cost-cutting trend in many areas. The TL, like my old Legend, probably has a nice, thick layer of sound deadening underneath the trunk carpeting. Accords used to have that, too, but not anymore :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
Me too but When I get the chance I will put dynamat down to dampen the sound. It's right under the back seat so it isn't hard to get to.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I really never noticed either, the only vehicle I hear it in is my 2001 Acura MDX.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I get a noise from the rear, it sounds like bad bearings or something. I can hear it more at low speeds, backing out and speed bumps. I thought it might be the gasoline moving but not sure.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
I've never heard it on my current Accord, but I have heard it in other cars, trucks, etc.

Maybe, I just don't pay any attention to it or it could be because I'm always listening to music.

·
2014 Accord EX-L Coupe
298 Posts
Ya, I can only hear it when the radio is off and then only under rare circumstances. It's by no means annoying and a passenger would have no clue most likely. Do passengers noticed anything anyhow??

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
A did hear it this AM backing out of the driveway with the radio off. Once I stopped at the first stop sign and turned on the radio the sloshing disappeared.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
I only hear it when I'm at a full / nearly full tank, and when I am pulling into the garage and shut the engine off.

In other words, such a rare condition that it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts