Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, so previously I've had the Nokya 2500k 35watt bulb for my fogs and I liked the color a lot but the problem I've had was the outut, they aren't very bright.. While driving on the highway it's sometimes hard to tell if they are even on (yeah I can look at the HUD) but I like to see a little yellow there and notice that the stock bulbs are way brighter. So lately i've been thinking about purchasing the 55watt bulbs but am not too sure if it's safe to, if anyone knows it would help me a lot. I drive a 2013 Honda Accord Sport sedan.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
If you want bright, get HIDs for your fogs. They do not blind oncoming traffic (at least in the sedan) and will give you the most lumens. Plus you can choose your color output. I tried 3 sets of fog lights bulbs before settling on HIDs, wish I would have made it my 1st set so i would not have wasted my money... oh well

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hids are the way to go. Alot brighter than halogen bulbs

·
2013 EX-L 2.4 sedan white
46 Posts
The manual is written that in the 9th Accord are fog lamps of 35 watts. If you put more powerful lamps, it can theoretically be increased load on the electrical system. Better to put xenon or diodes of the same capacity

·
Registered
394 Posts
I put Nokya yellows in my fog lights with my 8th gen accord and after a short while the bulb exploded in the housing. I would stay away from these if you can...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Fog lamps are, by design, utterly useless at highway speeds and on clear days. They are useful only in situations of extreme fog and reduced visibility at low speeds for the purpose of picking out lines on the road.

While you could get brighter fog lamps, I would advise against it because the increased foreground lighting would damage your distance vision without actually improving your ability to see where you're going - the area illuminated by fog lamps is too close to do anything with at highway speed.

My suggestion to you is just to save your money or spend it on a more useful upgrade.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Fog lamps are, by design, utterly useless at highway speeds and on clear days. They are useful only in situations of extreme fog and reduced visibility at low speeds for the purpose of picking out lines on the road.

While you could get brighter fog lamps, I would advise against it because the increased foreground lighting would damage your distance vision without actually improving your ability to see where you're going - the area illuminated by fog lamps is too close to do anything with at highway speed.

My suggestion to you is just to save your money or spend it on a more useful upgrade.

I don't know about your experience, but up here in Vancouver most fog lights are used for show and nothing more. People drive around with them on all the time. The HID upgrades are the worst. I guess they figure if the paid for 'em they'd better use 'em.

Driving around with fogs on in clear weather is about as cool as driving around with one turn signal on (but with no intention of turning).

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
I don't know about your experience, but up here in Vancouver most fog lights are used for show and nothing more. People drive around with them on all the time. The HID upgrades are the worst. I guess they figure if the paid for 'em they'd better use 'em.

Driving around with fogs on in clear weather is about as cool as driving around with one turn signal on (but with no intention of turning).
What's wrong with leaving them on even if they aren't needed? Unless the user installed HIDs, they are not blinding or in any way offending other drivers (except you apparently). My opinion is more "points" of light are safer in any situation for other drivers, jaywalkers, animals, etc. to notice the vehicle. Not to mention I think it just looks nice.

·
Broke A$$ Superhero
46 Posts
Definitely go with HID's...if you go with the 55w you will not only possibly pop bulbs as before mentioned, but you could also burn up the wiring harness on the fogs. In my younger years I went with 55w bulbs (regular headlights) instead of HID's and this happend to me. I had to go later and clean up the wiring harness cuz it was so badly burnt. So save yourself the time, money, headache and possible fire hazard and get the HIDs.

·
Banned
33 Posts
What's wrong with leaving them on even if they aren't needed? Unless the user installed HIDs, they are not blinding or in any way offending other drivers (except you apparently). My opinion is more "points" of light are safer in any situation for other drivers, jaywalkers, animals, etc. to notice the vehicle. Not to mention I think it just looks nice.

Opinions vary. I (and others - see the links) think it looks, and is, idiotic. Why not drive with your hazards on?

It's also unlawful in some jurisdictions, presumably because it does make it harder for oncoming drivers to see.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/rants-raves/67807-idiots-front-fog-lights-during-all-conditions.html

http://cifi.com/index.php/rants/driving-with-fog-lights

http://www.fieldandstream.com/answe...w-big-pickups-feel-compelled-turn-their-fog-l

http://thehelpfulengineer.com/index.php/2011/12/turn-off-your-fog-lights-when-there-is-no-fog/

http://www.weeklygripe.co.uk/a161.asp

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10812320

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
You state your opinion, which is (however invalid or to use your word, idiotic) acceptable in an open forum. How do you go from fog lights on in any condition to hazard lights being on all the time? You lose any credibility (that is assuming you had any to begin with) when you make that type of statement rather than using logic to argue your point.

If, and this is a big if given most of your responses, you are addressing the fact that I mentioned safety as a reason to leave fog lights on in clear conditions, your comment about leaving hazard lights on is thoughtless. How would leaving a flashing light (to distract drivers) and losing the ability to use your turn signals make your driving environment safer? I said I want more light "points" for drivers, animals, jaywalkers, etc. to see, not hazard lights to draw their attention and make them lose their focus on whatever it is they were doing.

Where is your backup for it being unlawful? I see some opinions and an unscientific (total opinion) article from a website with Engineer in the title. Being and Engineer, I am very disappointed to see such things. Fog lights only project light in other driver's eyes in a few scenarios:
-poorly installed by the vehicle Owner or aftermarket shop
-misaligned because of an accident
-the Owner placed a bulb that the housing was not designed for (HID, LED, etc.)

The only place I have heard (but still have not seen evidence of) fog lights being on in clear conditions is illegal is the UK.

·
Broke A$$ Superhero
46 Posts
It's also unlawful in some jurisdictions, presumably because it does make it harder for oncoming drivers to see.
There is no way fog lights make it harder for oncoming drivers to see unless its a lifted truck or something. Fog lights are low to the ground and are not designed to be a primary light source so they should not be "blinding" anyone. If they are, you might want to have the angle of the lights checked. They are designed to light the lines on the side and middle of the road so drivers can see in...you guessed it...FOG :thmsup:

·
Banned
33 Posts

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I put Nokya yellows in my fog lights with my 8th gen accord and after a short while the bulb exploded in the housing. I would stay away from these if you can...
My Nokya yellow lasted about 3 weeks-never again. One bulb still works though. I just left them in to protect the empty housing. I leave them off as they are totally useless. Were I to do anything, I would put decorative LED bulbs in to match the look of the Touring LED headlights but not for output.

I find these fogs useless even in fog, rain, or snow. My 51W fogs in my MDX put out useful light maybe because of watts or position vis a vis the road, but they really illuminate the side lines well. With HID or LED headlights, the puny halogen fog is lost in the shadow of these brilliant lights. I agree, save the money for function unless one is going for a "look" which I may still do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts