Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2.3 AT used to hit 115-118 mph and then slow down. However now it is hitting a wall at 100 mph. Any reason why? Checked the engine oil, is at the low mark exactly. Could that be a reason?

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
MAF sensor, throttle body not opening all the way, tire pressure?

The problem is there's nothing really special about 100+ mph vs. full throttle in lower gears, so I would think something would be wrong near redline at normal speeds too.

Hell, can worn wheel bearings add enough friction to limit top-spin speed?

Frozen caliper?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MAF sensor, throttle body not opening all the way, tire pressure?

The problem is there's nothing really special about 100+ mph vs. full throttle in lower gears, so I would think something would be wrong near redline at normal speeds too.

Hell, can worn wheel bearings add enough friction to limit top-spin speed?

Frozen caliper?
Thanks! Nice list to troubleshoot.

Tyre pressure - will check if too low

Throttle Body - slight hesitation in the first press of the accelerator post overnight parking. Nothing throughout the day. Will clean it again.

Redlines at 6500 rpm in lower gears. Revs happily. But gets "stuck" at ~ 4000 rpm at 100 mph in 4th gear. The 0 - 60 looks in the ball park as well.

Worn wheel bearings…but wouldn't I notice during normal 60 mph cruising - no hum at all

Alignment and Balancing may help?

Frozen caliper…sense no resistance in lower speeds

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The cost of the speeding ticket will be about the same amount of money. Your increase in your insurance will be about double the amount of the fines. Oh, that's if you don't kill yourself.

BTW, why do you want to take a chance of wrecking a beautiful 6th Generation Accord.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cost of the speeding ticket will be about the same amount of money. Your increase in your insurance will be about double the amount of the fines. Oh, that's if you don't kill yourself.

BTW, why do you want to take a chance of wrecking a beautiful 6th Generation Accord.
I thank you for your concern and I know you only mean well, but please be rest assured - I don't do this everyday. I don't do this on public roads. Also, I have no intention of damaging my 6th gen. I have a family I care too much about to even think of endangering other's lives. Please let this rest here.

Would really appreciate a technical solution - I'm just intrigued by why it hits a block when everything else seems to be in tip-top shape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts