Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when i first got my 03 accord when the car heated up it would be at the halfpoint (on the temp gauge). Now i am noticing it goes lower than half when ive been driving for a while and just stays there. I also have noticed when i turn the heat on it sometimes just doesn't heat, it blows air just not warm air... Could the thermostat need replacing?

·
Elvira
3,586 Posts
thermostat stuck open.

Miker

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any fix for this?

·
Registered
575 Posts
any fix for this?
Replace the thermostat. There was a segment on Car Talk a few weeks about this. Apparently it's a common problem with Ford Explorers. When it gets really cold outside, the fan is not supposed to run in order to let the car heat up faster, but when the thermostat is stuck open the fan is running all the time and the car never gets a chance to heat up.

·
Elvira
3,586 Posts
Replace the thermostat. There was a segment on Car Talk a few weeks about this. Apparently it's a common problem with Ford Explorers. When it gets really cold outside, the fan is not supposed to run in order to let the car heat up faster, but when the thermostat is stuck open the fan is running all the time and the car never gets a chance to heat up.
this:thmsup:

Miker

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,676 Posts
It will also hurt your gas mileage, if the engine never gets to warm up. It will idle higher, and the air fuel mixture will be rich. Which is probably not good for the cat converters, among other things. Change the thermostat, and hope that solves the problem. You could test it, but I'd probably just change it since it's likely the original.

PS: The little notch goes up.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whats the difficulty level on replacing it? i mean, ive done all other replacesments and mods just diving right in but i don't want to ruin anything.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,676 Posts
Get the thermostat, and the gasket, remove and replace. Just don't break the bolts trying to tighten them too much.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Not true, the thermostat does not control the electrically operated radiator cooling fan, thermostat only controls the flow of coolant, allowing the coolant to circulate through the radiator when the thermostat is open after the coolant in the engine block has reached operating temperature.

The radiator fan is controlled through thermostatically operated radiator fan switch mounted on the lower side of the radiator.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
Hang on Denver, let me Google this part number for you.....'cause you know, part numbers kinda matter.

(I'm not really gonna Google this for you. I am hoping you will do your own searches. You know, teach a man to fish and all that.)

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
Not true, the thermostat does not control the fan, thermostat only controls the flow of coolant, allowing the coolant to circulate through the radiator when the thermostat is open after the coolant in the engine block has reached operating temperature.

The radiator fan is controlled through thermostatically operated radiator fan switch mounted on the lower side of the radiator.

I don't know, Boss....He was talking about a Ford Explorer. I owned a Ford for about a month and nothing would surprise me about their engineering. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
I don't know, Boss....He was talking about a Ford Explorer. I owned a Ford for about a month and nothing would surprise me about their engineering. :)
Could be, wasn't clear to me.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
Denver, go here:

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/

Enter your year and model, search under engine/water pump/sensor/thermostat. You will get the exact part number for the thermostat you need. THEN you can check eBay and other sites to see how quickly (and $$) you can get it. Don't trust eBay to give you a part number...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Get the OEM thermostat for sure. Thermostat is a part where you always want to go OEM. Before I replaced mine it actually gave a CEL for "Thermostat Range Error" sometimes because of how long it took to warm up. Price was around the 40 dollar mark from Bernardi Parts.

This problem would hurt your gas mileage like others have said because the car runs rich to heat up to operating temperature faster, which never happens due to the stuck thermostat.. Do this ASAP... think about the possibility of the situation reversing and your thermostat getting stuck CLOSED. If this happens you could have very serious problems.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,676 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts