Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought brand new Honda Accord Hybrid 2015 (EX-L) primarily because it is supposed to be the highest mpg Honda in my budget.

I have been driving it mostly local, mostly in "B" mode.

I get only about 30-31mpg rather than the advertised 50mpg.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a special trick to bump up the mpg from 30 to 50? Please share. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
2015 Honde Accord Hybrid MPG

I also have a 2015 Accord Hybrid Base. It now has about 8300 miles on the clock. I commute about 40 miles a day in mixed hwy and city driving. Top speed about 70-75. On my last tank I hand recorded 53.5 mpg. Drove 750 miles on 14 gallons of fuel. Still had a little over a gallon in the tank with no fuel light on.

I do run synthetic oil, keep the tires inflated on the high side and run in econo mode. I also use the braking option on the transmission to help keep the battery charged. I leave a longer following distance between cars to take advantage of the charging that goes on when you coast.

I drive it like any of my other cars and don't baby it in any way. Nor do I hypermile or hyperglide, whatever they are calling it these days. AC is also run in economode which seems to work fine even here in south central Texas.

I did add a donut spare to the trunk and replaced the halogen bulbs with HID lights to lower the electrical load. Other than that the car is stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also have a 2015 Accord Hybrid Base. It now has about 8300 miles on the clock. I commute about 40 miles a day in mixed hwy and city driving. Top speed about 70-75. On my last tank I hand recorded 53.5 mpg. Drove 750 miles on 14 gallons of fuel. Still had a little over a gallon in the tank with no fuel light on.

I do run synthetic oil, keep the tires inflated on the high side and run in econo mode. I also use the braking option on the transmission to help keep the battery charged. I leave a longer following distance between cars to take advantage of the charging that goes on when you coast.

I drive it like any of my other cars and don't baby it in any way. Nor do I hypermile or hyperglide, whatever they are calling it these days. AC is also run in economode which seems to work fine even here in south central Texas.

I did add a donut spare to the trunk and replaced the halogen bulbs with HID lights to lower the electrical load. Other than that the car is stock.
Have you noticed any discernible difference in MPG with the tires slightly overinflated?

I mainly do highway driving and I've been getting 750-770miles out of the tank (45MPG tops), but I've noticed a huge increase in MPG when switching to city driving, as it uses the battery a lot more. I drive with economode and baby the car a bit too much, trying to stay under three bars on the "power" gauge at all times. I'll also use cruise control almost constantly, never going over 75 on the highway.

·
'15 6-6
565 Posts
I just bought brand new Honda Accord Hybrid 2015 (EX-L) primarily because it is supposed to be the highest mpg Honda in my budget.

I have been driving it mostly local, mostly in "B" mode.

I get only about 30-31mpg rather than the advertised 50mpg.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a special trick to bump up the mpg from 30 to 50? Please share. Thanks!
How short are your trips? How many miles/minutes? Do you "warm" the car up before you drive?

How many miles are on the car? How hard do you brake?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How short are your trips? How many miles/minutes? Do you "warm" the car up before you drive?

How many miles are on the car? How hard do you brake?
- My trips are usually in the range of 2-10 miles (average trip is 6 miles daily one-way). There are usually 3 traffic lights and 2 stop signs during this journey.
- Miles/minute = haven't calculated this yet, but I keep the speed mostly between 40-45 mph (because that's the speed limit).
- I don't warm up. I just hop in, start the car, and start driving.
- Total miles are 300 miles (just touched 300 mark today).
- I mostly don't brake at all, except at stop signs and traffic lights.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Min trip time is about 15 minutes to get the best mileage.

Aside from that, wait till you have 4 or 5,000 miles on it then get back to us.

·
Registered
583 Posts
- My trips are usually in the range of 2-10 miles (average trip is 6 miles daily one-way). There are usually 3 traffic lights and 2 stop signs during this journey.
- Miles/minute = haven't calculated this yet, but I keep the speed mostly between 40-45 mph (because that's the speed limit).
Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Don't worry about inflating a couple PSI over.

It's been high 70s and low 80s F and my Prius (liftback) gage is at 61.5 MPG and 325 miles into this tank. Not hard to get that on a 14 mile one way commute. Too bad Prius' are kinda poopy rides at this point.

With a 6 mile trip, you'll likely get less than the 47 combined, but i would think it gets up to 40 or so. 6 miles is not enough for the gas engine to fully warm up.

Wondering how many miles a year you drive, cause if only 8k miles or so a year, well, you'll only hitting half the miles of the battery warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do run synthetic oil, keep the tires inflated on the high side and run in econo mode. I also use the braking option on the transmission to help keep the battery charged.
- What is synthetic oil? Which brand/type do you use? How frequently do you change it? Do you change it yourself or do you have a dealer do it for you?
- "Braking option on transmission" = Are you talking about "B mode"? That's what I have been using most of the times

AC is also run in economode which seems to work fine even here in south central Texas.
Is there an Econo mode for AC separately, or is it the same green tree icon that lights up when I press the green Econo button to the left of steering wheel?

HID = those LED lights that are present on modern cars right? How much mpg difference did you make by installing these lights? I have the "stock" lights for now, and I've left them in "auto" mode.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Oil, mileage difference not huge...

Econ button reduces A/C cycle and mute throttle response, no separate mode for A/C. I will say that in Texas summer heat, the Econ button is useful on shorter trips to increase MPG. The systems works very hard on start-up for short trips and crushes MPG.

HID does NOT equal LED. HID is High Intensity Discharge, a bulb using a high voltage and special bulbs (Halogen or Xenon, most often) to produce a brighter and often bluer light.

Have you been using the economy advisory display, the green/blue circle with the bars? If you do, and you see lots of time outside the green, you know what part of your MPG issue is. But, honestly, your short trips are not going to produce a very high average MPG, in my experience. Your location might also be a factor, and is not listed.

·
'15 6-6
565 Posts
The car isn't getting enough time to get to full operating temperature and full efficiency on these super short drives. You'll see closer to 50MPG if you drive longer.

I would let the vehicle break in a bit more, don't worry about oil or bulbs or tires or anything like that, as those are going to change things by maybe 1MPG at most. What you should realize is that 30MPG on short trips like that is quite good. For reference if I drive my V6 Accord manual lightly for just 3-5 miles and record MPG, I'm in the low teens, like 14-15.

It's the trip length that's getting you/

·
Registered
639 Posts
The car isn't getting enough time to get to full operating temperature and full efficiency on these super short drives. You'll see closer to 50MPG if you drive longer.

I would let the vehicle break in a bit more, don't worry about oil or bulbs or tires or anything like that, as those are going to change things by maybe 1MPG at most. What you should realize is that 30MPG on short trips like that is quite good. For reference if I drive my V6 Accord manual lightly for just 3-5 miles and record MPG, I'm in the low teens, like 14-15.

It's the trip length that's getting you/
I agree, but to state the obvious you'll burn more gas if you drive longer. A Hummer H1 driven one mile a day would make horrible mileage, but have a tiny carbon footprint (365 miles/year).

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've had my hybrid for over a year and a half and have averaged just under 47 MPG. The first five miles I usually only get about 35-40 MPG, but after that my mileage quickly exceeds over 50. You will get better mileage if you can stay under about 42 MPH so that the engine is not connected to the wheels. If you are using AC your mileage will suffer a bit especially if you have a lot of stop lights.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes you are!

Nowhere near advertised mpg - am I driving it wrong?

Unless you are driving your car in the exact same manner that was used to determine the MPG rating, yes you are driving it wrong.

Welcome to the real world.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I own a 2015 accord hybrid touring for long enough to comment on mpg.my car has 11700 miles on odometer and total avg mpg so far is 44. Most of the mpg gains are in summer, in winter this car is worse I only got around 40mpg max no matter how I drive.

On highway with 4 people - 40 to 45mpg
On highway with full trunk and 5 people - 36 to 39mpg
In city if trip is shorter than 10miles - 40 to 45mpg
In city if trip is longer than 10miles - 50 to 58mpg
The main issue with this car is transmission and tune, rpms stay high at highway speeds coz of improper gear ratio, battery and electric motor pretty much never gets used. I noticed significant drag on my car even in downhill with trans in neutral car slows down.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2014 hybrid touring model
I average 40 MPG
I do not believe you are supposed to keep the shifter in "B" mode most of the time.
Try leaving it in D
The computer in the car will figure out the best combination to get the highest MPG

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
I thought the B "gear" is to work like lower gear for down hill engine brake? It increases the regeneration brake so more kinetic energy is converted to battery storage.

I would imagine using it in normal driving condition will bleed your speed much more quickly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
even D mode reduces speed, so I tried to shift to N in a downhill, even in this condition speed reduces, so I am thinking something is putting a drag.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts