Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Took my 05 coupe into ntb this morn for tire rotation and they said my tread is 10/32 on 3 and one tire is 3/32 ( front left ). I took it in 8000 miles ago for a tire rotation only b/c I bought one tire from them so it's free. He's saying I need a new tire but how can one be low on tread and the others not as low if they were bought at the same time besides the one I replaced last year? I haven't measured myself but will when I get off work today. He said I need a new battery which I will buy from walmart ( awesome warranty ). Do you think he's full of bull?? I just doesn't make sense sine I had to replace a matching single tire about a year ago b/c I got a nail I'm the sidewall. So I'm thinking one should have MORE tread than the other 3, not One with LESS tread. I'm running Michelin mx4 or whatever they are.
Thanks!

·
Roll Tide!
6,795 Posts
Hey everyone,
Took my 05 coupe into ntb this morn for tire rotation and they said my tread is 10/32 on 3 and one tire is 3/32 ( front left ). I took it in 8000 miles ago for a tire rotation only b/c I bought one tire from them so it's free. He's saying I need a new tire but how can one be low on tread and the others not as low if they were bought at the same time besides the one I replaced last year? I haven't measured myself but will when I get off work today. He said I need a new battery which I will buy from walmart ( awesome warranty ). Do you think he's full of bull?? I just doesn't make sense sine I had to replace a matching single tire about a year ago b/c I got a nail I'm the sidewall. So I'm thinking one should have MORE tread than the other 3, not One with LESS tread. I'm running Michelin mx4 or whatever they are.
Thanks!
This (in bold) is NOT possible. Maybe you mean you have tires that were bought at separate times?

One of your tires is worn out. Suck it up and pay the man. :yes:

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
9,989 Posts
I haven't measured myself but will when I get off work today.... Do you think he's full of bull??
:dunno: We haven't seen your tires so how are we suppose to know? What are we suppose to make this determination from? Would help if you provide us with pics.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's why I said I will look later. Can I measure with a penny or nickel? How do I do that?

·
Roll Tide!
6,795 Posts
lol, you're a mess bro. if you didn't trust them to show you while you were there, you need a new tire shop. seriously, just pay the man.

you can measure with anything you want. BUT, if you want to get an accurate measurement to compare with the manufacturer's replacement recommendation, you should get one of these.

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
3/32" vs. 10/32" is going to be VERY obvious.

3/32" is less than 1/8th of an inch, the tread depth will be very close to the wear indicator bars.

Also check the manufacturing dates on the tires, is the one really worn earlier than the other three? Did you buy the single replacement tire new or "pre-owned"?

You may have an alignment issue if the one worn tire was bought the same time as others, get a second opinion if you don't have sufficient knowledge to make a determination yourself.

As for the battery, you can get it load tested at many shops for free, AutoZone, PepBoy etc, some of the shops may even have in-car battery tester, they just hook it up to the battery while it is still in the car, run a 10 second test to tell you the condition of your battery. So you only need to pop the hood open for this, easy peasy!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AHA!!! Just as I suspected what a bunch of fing liars!! Bought a tread depth indicator and they are all basically 7-8/32. Now I will take my car to my mechanics to see if I actually need a new battery. No problems ever with it. Oh yeh and when I picked up my car.....$580 recommended services LOL!!!
Fuel system cleaning 3 stage $100+, a new tire for $177 ( sumito touring) that may be overpriced as we'll not sure, $125 for a 1 year alignment warranty ( whoopde freakin doo!!!) various extra fees and a tire warranty and new battery for $100. Looks like I may get a new battery from walmart once I get it tested but other than that they are a JOKE!!! I'll update next week. NTB is TERRIBLE! I bought techron fuel system cleaner for $9. That will prob do just as good as their "3 stage treatment". Never had an issue with my car!!

·
Roll Tide!
6,795 Posts
So NTB told you ONE tire was at 3/32 and you needed ONE new tire. Then, you go out and get your own gauge and found that all four tires (three of them older since you admit to buying a new one a year ago) are the same tread depth? Unless that tire you bought a year ago was used or made in china with a much softer compound the the three that were already wearing, I don't see how this it is possible all your tires can be worn so evenly.

Your local NTB would be the first tire shop in the world to try to scam a customer into buying just ONE tire, and not a complete set of four. However, you've come to the conclusion that you are much smarter than NTB so you'll never have another reason to go there, or any other shop for that matter. Keep on keeping on.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought the tire 2 months after I bought he car so yes they should all be similar depths

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
so the other three tires were only two months older than the one you bought?
I don't think he knows or cares about the date code on his tires, as Aviography suggested he look at.

There are many who actually buys snow tires on Craigslist with the seller saying "Lots-O-Tread" remaining and "only used two seasons"....pull out the tire gauge and it is at 3/32nd, and look at the date code and they are from 2003. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I had a similar thing happen at an Expert Tire (somewhat owned by Firestone). It's the first time I had ever been to this one so I didn't know the guy.

I had Firestones with a warranty (reason I took it there) and had a leak in it. I asked about a warranty and he said they prorate the tire based on tread life but this one was almost gone so he would only give me a few dollars credit. I asked him how the tread could go down so much in a few weeks since another Firestone shop had checked them a couple of weeks prior and they were all in great condition. He left for a few minutes, came back, and had a much better prorated amount.

Last time I went to that Expert Tire, even though it's closest.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know when to purchase tires...

If you can determine when to purchase new shoes (based on wear and tear), you can decide when to buy new tires!

Next time, save yourself the headache and trouble and buy tires at Costco. Best service, Best Prices, Best brands! :thmsup:

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
I had a similar thing happen at an Expert Tire (somewhat owned by Firestone).
Last time I went to that Expert Tire, even though it's closest.
With due respect, this is not a "thing" that happened to you nor to the OP. This is a "way".

You have got to spend the $3 and get a tire gauge, and educate yourself before you walk into a shop. Educating yourself takes minutes on this forum- that's it.

These places have to make money. They make the most profit off of idiots, and brother, business is a booming.

Mark Twain (Yes, Mark Twain) once wrote something by his real name- Samuel Clemons, back when he was younger....

He wrote that trust is for fools. Only a fool would trust someone when they could look at character instead. He wrote (back in the 1860s) that in the "old days", if you wanted a job at the local store, you had to have neighbors vouch for your good character as well as a priest or teacher. He went on to write that "nowadays" (again, this is around 1860) you fill out an application and the owner "trusts" you. That owner is a fool.

It is your duty to verify someone's character- if not, educate yourself before you walk in these places.

Winning isn't a some time thing...winning is an all time thing. Unfortunately, so is getting taken- but you won't have Liam Neeson to get you out.:thumbsup:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know when to purchase tires...

If you can determine when to purchase new shoes (based on wear and tear), you can decide when to buy new tires!

Next time, save yourself the headache and trouble and buy tires at Costco. Best service, Best Prices, Best brands! :thmsup:
I respectfully disagree....

I have a cousin who actually is a rocket scientist (for Boeing) and he relies on his mechanic to tell him when to get new tires. My cousin does not concern himself with car maintenance things- which is amazing to me.

As for Costco, it does NOT have 1/10th the amount of brands or tires that Tirerack.com has- nor does their installation come close to the install I get at KO Tire in Elk Grove Village, Illinois. All they do is install tires- THAT'S IT! For 35 years....you will never, in your life, get better service or an install than from two guys who have worked side by side for 35 years doing nothing but installing tires purchased elsewhere.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
They are represented in 4 digit format like xxxx with the first two being the year and the last two being the month so a tire made this year would be 1301 for January or year 2013.
WRONG!

The first two digits are the week (out of 52 weeks in a year) they were made and the last two digits are the year.

Using your example of 1301, those tires would have been made in the thirteenth week of the year 2001.

SOURCE: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11&

·
Registered
118 Posts
I respectfully disagree....

I have a cousin who actually is a rocket scientist (for Boeing) and he relies on his mechanic to tell him when to get new tires. My cousin does not concern himself with car maintenance things- which is amazing to me.

As for Costco, it does NOT have 1/10th the amount of brands or tires that Tirerack.com has- nor does their installation come close to the install I get at KO Tire in Elk Grove Village, Illinois. All they do is install tires- THAT'S IT! For 35 years....you will never, in your life, get better service or an install than from two guys who have worked side by side for 35 years doing nothing but installing tires purchased elsewhere.
I respect your disagreement but I feel as though your cousin just doesn't want or have time to think about the car. However, if he looked at the wear marks on a tire, he would be able to decide if he needed new tires. Then again, I 'm no rocket scientist :thmsup:

In regards to costco tires...you are RIGHT in regards to their selection. However, I run NOTHING but Michelins on all my car's and motorcycles and have for the last ten years. Been extremely satisfied with all aspects of their performance and tread life. When it comes to Costco, they stock three to five different models, which at least one of them meets and or exceeds my needs. I have to be realistic here...I DRIVE A 4 CYLINDER FWD WITH LESS THAN 200 HP. If one were to install P-Zeros on that car...I'd say they are wasting their money...On the other hand, my cousin owns a S63 AMG. In his case, I can see one being picky as to their tires.

When it comes to installing tires...I see it as simple as, take off...put on...balance...install. There is not magic or special skill about it. Sure 35 years will allow you to throw tires on and off rims faster than the other guys, but when it comes down to it, installing tires on a car is soooo simple and idiot proof that it's a waste of money to pay big bucks to have the small shops install them.

And the reason I am a big advocate of Costco, is because of their business Philosophy. Their CEO makes less than 500K so the employees can make more. All employees are treated fairly and paid very well (which is GREAT when it comes to economy) unlike WalMart, whom pays their employees SHIT hence most of them still needing government aid (BAD for the economy). Now that my lack of sleep has lead to to some ridiculous tangent, I'd say the tire business is to each their own. However, I think relying on someone to tell you when to eat and poop is beyond ridiculous. One should be wise enough to make their own decisions (when it comes to items that they have knowledge about) unless you have more money than logic...then you can change your tires weekly and still be happier than a clam.

To the OP...I say do what anyone would do. Google facts or ask questions on this forum and people will be glad to help you with any of your troubles. Rick has advised me well in some aspects and I hope he continues to do so. Always understand that people act to benefit themselves before others, so when you go into a private tire shop, know that they want your money more than your happiness.

Long story short...use logic! :thumbsup:

Edit: TireRack is an AWESOME company. They sent me some broken brake pads and I called them regarding the bad purchase and they were VERY quick to fix the issue! If variety is what you seek, I would purchase my tires from them in a heart beat!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not about tires but local NTB. My wife took our 87 accord there several years ago for alignment. They told her couldn't be done without replacing rear trailing arms (about 3 or 4 hundred). We had a local shop to work on the car and took it to him and they didn't need replacing. So always get a second opinion on something unless you have a trusted mechanic to do your work.
We have never been back to any NTB dealer

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,649 Posts
Sam's club was the cheapest place I could find to buy the Michelin Primacys I have on my car now. The secret to getting fresh tires from them is to go on the website, and order tires that the local Sam's doesn't have in stock. That way they have to order the tires from the factory hot off the presses. The tires all had the same date, and were only a month old. The only problem is the installers, who scuffed the paint on a couple wheels, but you really have to look closely, and they are balanced pretty good and have new stems. I have to say these Primacy tires are the best, because this is the first time in the 10 years I've had the car that it doesn't pull slightly to the right. The car tracks better than it ever has, with either the original Michelins or the Bridgestone tires I had before these.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
WRONG!

The first two digits are the week (out of 52 weeks in a year) they were made and the last two digits are the year.
Rick is right about dating the tire. I just bought a set a few weeks ago and I made sure to check. The oldest was made in Dec, 2012 and the newest was weeks old.

I'll share the little bit I've learned over the years.

Tirerack is good but only on the price of tires. After purchasing a set from them, you have to contend with the full price of installs, balancing, etc. things that usually get discounted by full service dealers when you buy a set from them. Furthermore, warranty is rough if you have to wait on shipment to replace and... then you have to pay for install again. Me, I want my new tire immediately and installed for free if there is a defect. For me, it's just not worth it buying online anymore.

Don't buy USED tires unless it's a private sale and you cut a stellar deal. Used tire dealers charge so much nowadays... you can buy new for a few bucks more and not get a half used, shitty product. Seemingly good used tires can have invisible defects that cause noise and vibrations, which is why the former owners ditched them in the first place. Also, I can't tell you how many bald tires I've seen sold for 45 bucks apiece when a new tire is $50. It's a joke of a ripoff and the gullible keeps them in business

Finally, shop EVERY TIME you need tires and don't wait till the last minute. Start shopping way ahead, while you still have some tread left. Desperation buys are never cheap. Don't default back to the seller of your last set as they may have changed prices, and deals years later. Lately, the best deal I've seen in my area is Kauffman tire. I shopped them online and they had coupons for $150 off a set of four, plus another ten bucks off for going online to set up appt. I purchased some non-directional Starfire RS-C (Cooper base bottom brand). A full set of 17s - installed with balancing and alignment was less than $300. These tires are QUIET! Much better than the expensive ZR rated Falkens they replaced, which were noisy the day I put them on. Read the user comments when purchasing tires, that's how I found out which ones were nice and quiet.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts