Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
2010 Accord Cpe V6 6mt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find out how many 2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6mt were produced? I'd like to compare this number to the number of 5 AT produced. Just curious, especially since I've heard rumors that the Honda manual transmission cars will not be produced for US markets after 2014.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
"since I've heard rumors that the Honda manual transmission cars will not be produced for US markets after 2014."
WHAT!!!! If that is the case this is one person who will not buy another Honda! I know that sounds crazy but the 5-speed / 6-speed are the true drivers Cars!

I mean why would they do that!? The Civic SI has been manual its entire life (as far as I know)

Would be a stupid decision for Honda NA to make, IMO

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
They would do it because the number of manuals sold is miniscule compared to the number of autos sold and it would be a cost savings. With the exception of entry level models, base models, high performance models, and trucks there are not many manuals available. Even high performance cars are moving towards auto only, look at the Lancer MR.

If Honda really is eliminating all manuals they must have done the math and figured out that the number of customers they would lose would be less than the amount of money streamlining their lineup would save.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find out how many 2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6mt were produced? I'd like to compare this number to the number of 5 AT produced. Just curious, especially since I've heard rumors that the Honda manual transmission cars will not be produced for US markets after 2014.
Where did you hear this out of curiosity? :dunno::scratch:

·
Registered
808 Posts
It is about more than just the number of manuals they sell. The 6-6 was supposed to be a bit of a halo car for Honda to bring people into the show room. Probably not very effective as I see that Honda hasn't advertised it much lately. Most car companies need something exciting to get attention and Honda has had no real sports car since the S2000.

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
2,105 Posts
http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=948717

Check out the link above.

Out of the 311,xxx Accords sold in 2010, I would say that MAYBE 18-20% are coupes (its just a guess, but I know what the coupe is not their popular model what so ever). So, out of those approximately 62,000 cars, I would say that the 6/6 makes up about 15%. In all, I would say there is less than 12,000 6/6's produced each year.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
It should'nt all be about numbers. VW loses big, apparently, on every Veyron they sell, but at least it shows what they are capable of and inspires enthusiasm and helps brand image.

Honda won't even cater to enthusiasts anymore.

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
2,105 Posts
It should'nt all be about numbers. VW loses big, apparently, on every Veyron they sell, but at least it shows what they are capable of and inspires enthusiasm and helps brand image.

Honda won't even cater to enthusiasts anymore.
The Veyron is not really the kind of car a company builds to turn a profit (theoretically every car should be, but there are special cases). The Veyron is produced simply for bragging rights. And I'm pretty sure that many people don't know Veyron is made by VW, they just take it for what it is, a Bugatti. Just like many people don't know that Lambo's are in part German sourced now.

And you are absolutely right, Honda doesn't care about enthusiasts anymore. I think they realized that for every performance car enthusiast buying an S2000 (or another equivalent) they are selling 15 or 20 Accords to people who just want a car.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
It would be shame if Honda surrendered to the ignorance of American consumers or to their own poor management. I know consumers buy just one manual for every 15 autos sold. However, I ask the question if Honda made more, would people buy them? How long does it take the average manual to sell verses the average auto? To me, it seems manuals are never on the lot because they sell MUCH faster. That seems to indicates there is a strong demand for the manual tranny.

Also, why do they penalize manuals with worse mileage? Why do they gear them to operate at much higher highway rpm. Why doesn't Honda replace their 5-spd manual with their 6-spd manual. The 2.4 liter engine has PLENTY of torque to handle 1,900 - 2,000 rpm at 60 mph. I KNOW the V6 could also operate at much lower rpm than it does with the current 6-sp too. Maybe a 7-spd should exist for closer gears and lower highway rpm. (They make 8-spd autos now.)

Lastly, manuals still cost less to purchase and are certainly less expensive to maintain in the long run. A rebuilt auto can easily exceed $4,000 while a new clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing will run about $1,500.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The Veyron is not really the kind of car a company builds to turn a profit (theoretically every car should be, but there are special cases). The Veyron is produced simply for bragging rights. And I'm pretty sure that many people don't know Veyron is made by VW, they just take it for what it is, a Bugatti. Just like many people don't know that Lambo's are in part German sourced now.

And you are absolutely right, Honda doesn't care about enthusiasts anymore. I think they realized that for every performance car enthusiast buying an S2000 (or another equivalent) they are selling 15 or 20 Accords to people who just want a car.

Its no different for some of the other manufacturers, yet they seem to be able to do it, ie toyota ft-86.

·
Registered
57 Posts
To me, it seems manuals are never on the lot because they sell MUCH faster. That seems to indicates there is a strong demand for the manual tranny.
If there were a strong demand for manuals more manuals would be made. If say 40%-50% of buyers came into Honda dealers asking for manuals and then ended up taking their business elsewhere when they could not find one, you better believe Honda NA would start pumping out more manuals. The fact is a vast majority of buyers want an automatic IMO. Just think of how many people have no idea how to drive a manual.

The poor mileage doesn't help the manual cause either. What would motivate a person to even learn how to drive a manual. It has practically become a perk for serious drivers and a novelty for everyone else.

·
Registered
210 Posts
There aren't many out there. I was looking for a 6-6 when I bought my new car a few months back. The salesman (who I've used before) told me there might be one out there that he could get and I'm in the DC area which has quite a few dealerships. I suppose I could have ordered one and waited on it, but went with the AT sedan instead.

·
Registered
937 Posts
When I was shopping for my 6/6 (April 2009), I talked to a guy at a Houston dealership. After reading on the computer, he told me that there were only twelve 6/6 in the entire state of Texas. He was cool enough to give me all the dealership information, so I could track mine down.

He also told me that Honda only makes 4,000 6/6 per year for the N. American market. That's a tiny number! Again, that's just heresy, but it did explain why they're so difficult to find.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I'm shocked. Does anyone have an official statement from Honda?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
last I saw production numbers going down to variant's of setups (rather than total of the model produced/sold in a year) was for the Acura/Honda NSX

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
guys, Honda is a BUSINESS, and they have to think about this strategically. honda will NOT make a car that the marginal cost exceeds the marginal benefit. im sure you can find exceptions like the guy above said about the veyron but those are exceptions. so lets think about it this way, a brand new 6mt accord coupe is $29730 MSRP. For that price, you can get a lower end luxury car that has a lexus/acura/etc badging. You might say, "well i can buy a used 6mt for much less." Well, guess what, honda doesnt care because they make their money from NEW cars. from an economical point of view, they are making good moves. its only from OUR point of view, that they are making bad moves b/c honda isnt catering to us. Most of the people who want a 6mt accord are probably under 30 years old, and not many people under 30 have $30k to spend on a car.

same situation for stick shifts in general, its just not selling, and there is NO WAY that "manuals are never on the lot because they sell MUCH faster" they make stick shifts still because they are still catering to the small percentage of car enthusiasts who want them. remember, if you really wanted performance, accord isnt the way to go. recently i have been looking to buy a car and when i showed my parents a civic si, they immediately dismissed the idea of a manual b/c its "old-fashioned and outdated" i know some of you will not agree with that statement but thats what the majority of consumers will think.

remember, honda is a business and they need to do whats economical.

Maybe a 7-spd should exist for closer gears and lower highway rpm. (They make 8-spd autos now.)
are you talking about a 7speed manual? because thats probably not going to happen on any production car for at least 10 years. if you were talking about a 7speed auto, then.....well, honda needs to make a 6speed auto first to compete with the camry's 6speed auto.

·
Hondaracer4vtec
670 Posts
good....my car becomes rare. sell for higher price!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
regardless, anyone who was/is looking for a 6/6 knows it is a rare car and they go fast. even if they only make a small amount is seems like they all get purchased, so why would they totally eliminate them, especially when the 6/6 only comes almost decked out, only option when i got mine was navi or not. Seems silly to remove the 6/6 if all 4K of them get snatched up quick.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Most of the people who want a 6mt accord are probably under 30 years old, and not many people under 30 have $30k to spend on a car.
You're making me feel great; I will be 67 next month and have had three 6/6's in a row!

I only hope we find out far enough in advance of any decision by Honda to discontinue the 6/6 so that I will be able to buy another Red/Ivory w/navigation before it is too late.

I tried to get one this week before the 1.9% interest rate disappears and there none available in New England.

The closest one was in NJ at a dealer with a poor online reputation.

My 2009 has 54k on the dial.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts