Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a loss.

My 95 Accord v6 sedan runs great (no idle issues, no acceleration issues, no mpg issues) aside from occasional braking power issues (feels like power brakes don’t exist). I have no MIL codes at all.

I checked my monitors in preparation for a smog check in early December. The EGR, O2 sensors, and Cat monitors are all “not ready”. We changed the battery in July and were surprised that the monitors were not set. A couple of weeks ago, we noticed the battery cable clamp was loose and replaced it.

So, since we changed the battery cable clamp, i’ve Driven more than 100 miles. We tried various different drive cycles to no avail. I’m not so worried about the Cat Monitor yet, since it requires the O2 sensors to be set (or so i’ve Read). But, the EGR should have set. We got some software showing that the downstream O2 sensor voltage is moving around, but not tracking the upstream o2 sensor (downstream voltage sits at .8V, then moves around a little, then will drop down, sit at that lower voltage, then drop more, and continue until it bottoms out at about .2V before it starts moving upward again). The o2 sensors were replaced 4 years ago along with the cat. Note that the car did overheat (ECU shut down the car) earlier in the year before the battery was replaced.

If anyone has any ideas, feel free to state. I will add updates (or lack thereof) as i get them as well.

Thanks in advance for any information.

-Teah

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Its now February. We tried everything we could think of (including replacing a failed brake booster) and still the 4 monitors would not set. Then 3 days ago, we replaced the ECU with a used one we picked up years ago. its the older version (50) rather then what was in the car (51), but the HO2 monitor set almost immediately. After a day of street driving, the EGR monitor set. After another day of street driving and 5 minutes on the freeway (55-65mph) the O2 sensor and the cat monitors set. Just need to pass the smog now.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
First of all, I had no idea that a 1995 would have an OBD2 port. My 95 had to get the sniffer test back then, and shops that could do it were few and far between. Thank you for following up even though nobody responded to your initial post. Is this the last year you'll need to do a smog test ever on this car now that it is 25 years old?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car passed the smog! Barely. We will drive it as long as we can, but that could be only a year or so since it only barely passed. who really knows?

As for the OBD2 port on the 1995 Honda Accord V6, only the V6 was so equipped. Also, being a vehicle older than a 2002, the car requires the sniffer test as well as the OBD2 readiness, so the smog test is pricier (but less expensive than car payments).

I truly thank everyone who supports these forums. My problem wasn't solvable this time, but other issues were in the past, hence why i added as much info as i could in the prior posts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts