Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post and I'm new to the Honda world after switching from a constant problem they call a Volkswagen Passat.

I have an 04 LX Coupe 4cyl 5 speed.

I am having a few odd electrical issues and I believe they could all be related somehow.

First, my passenger window has issues. It will roll down all the time using the key fob, sometimes from the passenger window switch, and never from the drivers side switch. It ALWAYS rolls UP automatically unless the window lock button is on. I have tried a new driver, and passenger switch and neither fixed the problem. I'm thinking the motor could be bad but, what do you guys think?

Second, The radio back light is out. I read about the warranty extension and took it into the dealer and they told me my issue is not the same as what the warranty was for. I can still see things its just the back light is out. It worked when I bought it 3 months ago for about two weeks, came back on for 2 days about a month ago and then quit working again.

Third, the smallest of the issues is the cruise control. When I first got the car it would shut off as soon as I set it. I tried and tried and tried thinking the buttons were just stuck and it has started to work now. Before it was probably 5% success rate and now it's probably 95% success rate. But, I thought I should include it just in case it could be related (somehow) with the other two.

Anybody who has had these issues or knows solutions any advice is much appreciated!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have heard many horror stories on the Passat too, I am glad I did not get one. I hope that you find the solutions for your problems by now. It not, read on.

For your passenger power window issue, I don't think it is the motor but it is likely the MICU or the hardness between your driver window switch to the MICU. The MICU is built into the under dash fuse relay panel. You may also have a short on that passenger window up circuit because is not supposed to go up unless you push the up button with the ignition key on. My guess is that you have an open circuit on the driver side controller to the passenger window and you have a short on the window up circuit. This is probably likely because the car had been in an accident and someone fixed the door but causes a short.

For your radio back lighting issue, it is the circuit board inside the CD player that shorted out. This is a common issue for the 03-04 Accord that Honda extended the warranty to 7 yrs. or 100K. However, like many of us, the extended warranty ran out too. Mine had the same issue 2 months after the extended warranty and I did have to pay $125 for the part and Honda picked up the labor. You should bring it to another dealer to see if they will call Honda for a goodwill repair. If they don't, you can order the part for $125 and replaced it yourselves. It will take a couple hours but it beats paying the dealer $300 for it.

For your cruise control issue, it could be related to the MICU issue. The more common problem is the circular collar behind the steering wheel may not provide the contract for your cruise control buttons to the cruise controller. If it works now, leave it alone. When it acts up again, carefully remove the steering wheel and check that collar. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for just getting back about this... hasn't exactly been on my priority list in the middle of my final semester of engineering school. :headbash:

Could the backlight also be related to the MICU multiplex unit? I've never needed to test for a short before and I have no wiring diagrams or anything to know what is what... To my knowledge the car has never been in a wreck. I've searched for signs of a previous repair.... No signs at all.

How can I test the MICU?

Keep in mind a difference in my radio and the typical backlight issue (that Ive read about) is that I can still see everything on it during the day its only illumination that doesn't work.

Cruise control still works with no problems so, not touching that.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
Ha! What year was your Passat? I had an '01 Audi A6 2.7L Bi-Turbo before my Honda and that thing was nothing but a headache, backache, toothache and PITA. I loved the car but hated the maintenance (dropped $9k in 2 years!!) I sold it immediately when my torque converter started to fail and throw codes and bought the Honda :D

VW/Audi FTL... :thumbsdow
Honda/Acura FTMFW :thmsup:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Sorry for just getting back about this... hasn't exactly been on my priority list in the middle of my final semester of engineering school. :headbash:

Could the backlight also be related to the MICU multiplex unit? I've never needed to test for a short before and I have no wiring diagrams or anything to know what is what... To my knowledge the car has never been in a wreck. I've searched for signs of a previous repair.... No signs at all.

How can I test the MICU?

Keep in mind a difference in my radio and the typical backlight issue (that Ive read about) is that I can still see everything on it during the day its only illumination that doesn't work.

Cruise control still works with no problems so, not touching that.
The radio itself (cd player), not the faceplate is what controls the illumination. There is a fuse that burns out and takes away illumination to the LCD(You can still see the text in well lit environments). There is a thread around explaining how to fix it, in my case the CD changer was jammed so I just ordered a radio block from oemcaraudio on ebay. I will install it over the next couple of days and let you know how that goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The radio itself (cd player), not the faceplate is what controls the illumination. There is a fuse that burns out and takes away illumination to the LCD(You can still see the text in well lit environments). There is a thread around explaining how to fix it, in my case the CD changer was jammed so I just ordered a radio block from oemcaraudio on ebay. I will install it over the next couple of days and let you know how that goes.
The radio part from honda was 135 when I called the other day and they had it in stock. It isn't a hard install as I had the radio out before checking for blown resistors... Now I just need to decide when 135 bucks is worth it to see the clock at night. (college student budget)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha! What year was your Passat? I had an '01 Audi A6 2.7L Bi-Turbo before my Honda and that thing was nothing but a headache, backache, toothache and PITA. I loved the car but hated the maintenance (dropped $9k in 2 years!!) I sold it immediately when my torque converter started to fail and throw codes and bought the Honda :D

VW/Audi FTL... :thumbsdow
Honda/Acura FTMFW :thmsup:
I had a 2000 1.8T. I could have dropped well over 10k fairly easily. Seemed like everything that went wrong was a HUGE headache. I do miss driving the car though....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI- I went to honda dealership... bit the bullet and paid $80 bucks for them to tell me what was wrong. Turns out it is both the switch AND the window motor. I'll replace those eventually and post here if the problem was solved/unsolved.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
Thanks for updating! :) Sometimes when you're so frustrated and still not finding the solution to a problem, it is just best to fork up the cash and have them diagnose...sucks, I know, but at least it gives you peace of mind knowing now what is wrong. Thankfully, they're not hard and expensive repairs :thmsup:

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
FYI- I went to honda dealership... bit the bullet and paid $80 bucks for them to tell me what was wrong. Turns out it is both the switch AND the window motor. I'll replace those eventually and post here if the problem was solved/unsolved.
What happens if you replace both yourself and the problem is still there? Will they further diagnose the problem or say tough luck?

I have also had my passenger window do weird things. In the 4 years I've owned my car, the passenger window has gone up 3 times without me touching any buttons.

·
Roll Tide!
6,793 Posts
What happens if you replace both yourself and the problem is still there? Will they further diagnose the problem or say tough luck?
:lmao: They'll be glad to accept $80 and render another diagnosis. 50/50 chance it would be the same diagnosis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts