Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Honda Accord Ex 4 Cyl with around 188,000 miles. I'm planning on doing the timing belt/water pump replacement but am unsure on what parts to use. I have been told Gates is the manufacturer for Honda. I was planning on buying the Gates PowerGrip Tck244 from O'Reillys. Anybody have experience with this kit and if its recommended to get? Thanks. Any input on this would be very helpful. Also mechanic is quoting me about $350 for tb/wp labor.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
No experience with Gates timing belts, but I would recommend you stick with genuine Honda parts for this critical application. Even if Gates makes Honda belts they may be manufactured to different quality standards. You can look at the difference in belt prices and decide if its worth the risk of major engine damage if the belt fails.

Is the new wp from Honda or a parts store brand?

In addition to the timing belt and water pump, the belt tensioner and any leaky seals should be replaced while you have the belt off. The life of these parts is similar to the timing belt and they require the same amount of labor to replace.

The quoted price for that work is one of the lowest I've seen. Hopefully its quality work and everything is included.

·
Super Moderator
4,655 Posts
IIRC, my current timing belt is by Gates. My last one was Goodyear. The one before that was the OEM Honda one. I think I've got about 30k miles or so left on my current timing belt before that service comes up again for me.

While I do agree with nehonda that OEM parts should be used for this type of job. However, if you feel confident with the aftermarket parts going in, then that's up to you and at your own risk.

Back to Gates' belts, it appears that they are the OE manufacturer / supplier for Honda and a few other car manufacturers. At least that's what they claim.

http://www.gates.com/common/downloads/files/Gates/TCKWPFLYER.pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found out that the last change was at 90k and mentioned before, am at 188,000. The belt that is on there is the Gates® Micro-V AT® - OEM Quality Serpentine Belt which is the $28 belt from the O'Reilly line. Being 98,000 miles and still going is a good sign that I will probably get gates again. I have not decided on the water pump, but I will see which waterpump is the best reviewed..The honda water pump was not switched with the last belt change, so im over 188,000 on the original. Crazy! Our guy gets a good discounted price because hes a mechanic for the city...and is completely certified. Works for our cities public works department and does the mechanical work on the city vehicles. CDsDontBurn, it seems your gates timing belt has held up with no problems? I have done alot of research and it does seem that gates is in fact the OE for Honda's.

·
Super Moderator
4,655 Posts
I haven't had any issues with my TB. Like I said, I have about 30k more to go before I do the timing belt service again at 300k. If I have the car for that much longer is another story, lol.

Based on my research, I would agree that Gates is the OE supplier for Honda's belts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 99 Honda Accord Ex 4 Cyl with around 188,000 miles. I'm planning on doing the timing belt/water pump replacement but am unsure on what parts to use. I have been told Gates is the manufacturer for Honda. I was planning on buying the Gates PowerGrip Tck244 from O'Reillys. Anybody have experience with this kit and if its recommended to get? Thanks. Any input on this would be very helpful. Also mechanic is quoting me about $350 for tb/wp labor.
It is correct that Gates is the OEM supplier for Honda's timing belts. We carry their belts specifically because of this. Check out the timing belt kit on our site here, and we can certainly hook you up with a bit of additional discount too.

www.proimporttuners.com/parts/1999-honda/accord-gates-racing-timing-component-kit

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just want to double & triple check before I decide on the parts. I mean the belt on there has been on there for like 98k miles, so it obv has done well. I hate car payments, so I will def be holding onto my EX for a while..plus I like the car. It's been good to me in the time I have had it..other then the paint damage caused by it sitting in the sun. What else do you guys change while doing the timing belt/water pump? What kit do you guys have and recommend? Thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah it was an independent shop in Las Vegas that specialized in Hondas called Hondatronics. I researched the brands and they all seemed to have good reviews online as good companies with good products. I had it done in August 2013 so no issues yet and I'm not too worried about it. I would have gotten the Gates kit but I couldn't find one that had the seals, tensioners, and all belts so I went with the ebay one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I figured with that cost that you didn't buy from a stealership. I will have my guy check the seals but usually they say don't worry about the seals if they aren't leaking.. Just water pump and the main belts. Everyone on here says go oem but i have yet to see someone's non-oem kit fail.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The expense of replacing the timing belt is the labor to get to the thing. That's why Honda recommends replacing the water pump at the same time. I would buy genuine Honda parts, the difference in price is negligible compared to the labor cost or the heartache of having the belt fail while driving the car and ruining the engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah I figured with that cost that you didn't buy from a stealership. I will have my guy check the seals but usually they say don't worry about the seals if they aren't leaking.. Just water pump and the main belts. Everyone on here says go oem but i have yet to see someone's non-oem kit fail.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Yeah stealership wanted around $1000 which sounded ridiculously high, but they also quoted me $900 for a new power steering pump so its probably about right for them. I think as long as you get a kit from a trusted company you'll be fine.

I had them change the seals just as preventative maintenance. I figured everything is off anyways, might as well change them now instead of waiting for a leak and having to do the entire job over just for some seals. I'd just see what the mechanic said though. A few of the places I went to told me to leave them alone but the Honda specialty mechanic said it comes as part of the labor so I saw no reason not to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dealerships are def a rip. I will probably go with gates..because I have heard nothing but good things about them on forums and have yet to hear about someones belt snapping prematurely.. I mean chances are the belt I have on there now isn't genuine honda, but has gone 98k with no problems. How much are the seals separate?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts