Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see everyone on here swear up and down that the OEM wiper blades are the best option, but my insurance company recently replaced my cracked original windshield with a crappy aftermarket one, and my OEM blades no longer wipe correctly. They leave wide patches and streaks of water on the down stroke that are incredibly distracting while driving. I've tried two different beam-style options from RainX, but they completely miss sections of the windshield and squeak horribly; they're even worse than the OEM ones, even after bending the frame. Does anyone know of some options that work well, or if a more traditional frame style, albeit uglier, would function better? I'd hate to keep burning money trying to find a decent option.

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
Victus - 2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
It's possible the wiper arms themselves have an issue now after the windshield replacement. Perhaps they got shifted out of position or bent, since they do have to take the cowl off to replace the windshield.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's possible the wiper arms themselves have an issue now after the windshield replacement. Perhaps they got shifted out of position or bent, since they do have to take the cowl off to replace the windshield.
That's what I first thought too. I took the cowl off myself since they broke clips and installed it incorrectly. I torqued the wiper motor/transmission assembly and wiper arms to spec (in their correct position) with no change, unfortunately. They don't look bent, but that could be a possibility.

When will the mods stop.... or will they?
2008 Honda accord Coupe 6 speed manual
Bad wiper arm springs will cause uneven pressure on window and they won鈥檛 work as intended. I replaced mine due to that exact issue a few years back. I have tried so many aftermarket wiper blades and there is always some condition were they don鈥檛 work properly. Typically at highways speeds.

oem blades are in fact the best.

Turbo lag
I have the OEM replacement blades, but modified to be installed in the frameless arm of a Michelin. Best and longest lasting combo that I've ever tried.

Polished Metal Metallica
I'll echo that OEM Honda blades are the best. That said, we have a set of RainX Silicone Endura blades on my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee (it's the only aftermarket set I'll use) and they were fantastic during our drive to the Midwest during Winter Storm Elliott last month.

My point? I'd also bet some money (don't get too excited - there's only like $2 in my wallet currently) that there is something going on with the wiper mechanism, and not the blades.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Bad wiper arm springs will cause uneven pressure on window and they won鈥檛 work as intended. I replaced mine due to that exact issue a few years back. I have tried so many aftermarket wiper blades and there is always some condition were they don鈥檛 work properly. Typically at highways speeds.

oem blades are in fact the best.
I'll echo that OEM Honda blades are the best. That said, we have a set of RainX Silicone Endura blades on my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee (it's the only aftermarket set I'll use) and they were fantastic during our drive to the Midwest during Winter Storm Elliott last month.

My point? I'd also bet some money (don't get too excited - there's only like $2 in my wallet currently) that there is something going on with the wiper mechanism, and not the blades.
Hmmmm... sounds like new wiper arms are on the menu. I've attached some photos where you can see part of the streak in different lighting for some more context. I couldn't capture the whole thing, but I think you can see enough to know what's going on. As far as I can tell, there are two big spots where the blade is folding over on itself, possibly from too much pressure (which gives further evidence of issues with the wiper arms) and giving the slightest gap where water can slip through. Also note that I just fully decontaminated the windshield with a clay bar and DA polish and coated it with Glaco Ultra. I've tried with and without any glass coating/sealant with the same result, if not worse.

Attachments

2015 accord sport
I see everyone on here swear up and down that the OEM wiper blades are the best option, but my insurance company recently replaced my cracked original windshield with a crappy aftermarket one, and my OEM blades no longer wipe correctly. They leave wide patches and streaks of water on the down stroke that are incredibly distracting while driving. I've tried two different beam-style options from RainX, but they completely miss sections of the windshield and squeak horribly; they're even worse than the OEM ones, even after bending the frame. Does anyone know of some options that work well, or if a more traditional frame style, albeit uglier, would function better? I'd hate to keep burning money trying to find a decent option.
All wipers does the same job, some might last longer, I鈥檝e had great experience with even the cheap low budget ones.

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
I've heard a bunch about using the OEM inserts, but I used some Michelin blades from Costco when I needed new ones for my Accord as the RainX blades that were on it when I got the car were total garbage.

The main reason I don't go for the OEM inserts is because one insert is about double the price of wiper blades during a Costco sale.

Turbo lag
The main reason I don't go for the OEM inserts is because one insert is about double the price of wiper blades during a Costco sale.
How much did the dealer charge you for the insert? Mine was only like $11 for the pair.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
How much did the dealer charge you for the insert? Mine was only like $11 for the pair.
Somewhere around $13-14 dollars. I was a little inaccurate earlier, the Costco price on sale is about a dollar or two less for the pair. But there's also the convenience factor. I'd have to go all the way out to the dealer, which is 30 minutes away, just for this, but I go to Costco all the time and it's only 10 minutes away.

Reactions: Hudouc

DA since 1st car
07V6 EX-L Auto

I'd stay away from beam style wiper blades. I've trued several fancier wiper blades, none were as good as the old, cheap, traditional blades, like the above. Like 7th gen, 8th gen wiper arms are not exactly designed for beam style.

Kimbo
No one has mentioned the aftermarket windshield. Far fetched I know, but it could have a slightly different compound curvature to it than original. I know I once had to have a windshield replaced once under an insurance claim on my Accord, and when I got in, it was obvious it was not the original by the blue tint all across the top 4 inches or so. I went back to the glass place and pointed out it was not the original style/type and they immediately ordered the correct one. Next day they installed the correct one and many thousands of miles later it is still in there and wipes perfectly.

My belief is that I am paying an insurance premium on a HONDA ACCORD, not some after-market car. What got damaged was specified by Honda and I insisted on the same part being installed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No one has mentioned the aftermarket windshield. Far fetched I know, but it coul have a slightly different compund curvature to it than original. I know I once had to have a windshild replaced once under an insurance claim on my Accord and when I got in it was obvious it was not the original by the blue tint all across the top 4 inches or so. I went back to the glass place and pointed out it was not the original style/type and they immediately ordered the correct one. Next day they installed the correct one and many thousands of miles later it is still in there and wipes perfectly. My belief is that I am paying an insurance premium on a HONDA ACCORD, not some after-market car. What got damaged was specified by Honda and I insisted on the same part being installed.
That鈥檚 what I was originally implying, but I think I did a poor job of communicating it. I ended up biting the bullet and trying one last option. I went with some Trico Diamond beam blades and they fit perfectly, minus a small overhang on the passenger side that I can totally live with in exchange for a quiet, otherwise excellent wipe. I鈥檓 sure I can bend it to fit but I鈥檝e had that cause issues with the rest of the wiping stroke, so I鈥檓 just going to live with it. I just ticked over 57k miles and it was garage kept until I bought it, so I didn鈥檛 suspect the wiper arms would be worn out and they showed no signs of physical damage.

Registered
That鈥檚 what I was originally implying, but I think I did a poor job of communicating it. I ended up biting the bullet and trying one last option. I went with some Trico Diamond beam blades and they fit perfectly, minus a small overhang on the passenger side that I can totally live with in exchange for a quiet, otherwise excellent wipe. I鈥檓 sure I can bend it to fit but I鈥檝e had that cause issues with the rest of the wiping stroke, so I鈥檓 just going to live with it. I just ticked over 57k miles and it was garage kept until I bought it, so I didn鈥檛 suspect the wiper arms would be worn out and they showed no signs of physical damage.
No one has mentioned the aftermarket windshield. Far fetched I know, but it could have a slightly different compound curvature to it than original. I know I once had to have a windshield replaced once under an insurance claim on my Accord, and when I got in, it was obvious it was not the original by the blue tint all across the top 4 inches or so. I went back to the glass place and pointed out it was not the original style/type and they immediately ordered the correct one. Next day they installed the correct one and many thousands of miles later it is still in there and wipes perfectly.

My belief is that I am paying an insurance premium on a HONDA ACCORD, not some after-market car. What got damaged was specified by Honda and I insisted on the same part being installed.
This was my exact thought as well. A crappy replacement windshield is probably crappy in more ways than one. The surface of the glass is probably not as smooth as OE, the plane of smoothness is probably it as exact as OE, the curvature is probably not a match to the OE and the profile is probably not what OE was- all the signs of multiple kinds of wipers who all previously worked now miraculously not working, point to the windshield and not the wipers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts