Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased an eBay kit for fog lights. Crappy wiring harness so I bought the OEM harness instead. I got everything wired up correctly and it works. But I am wanting to make the fog lights come on when the parking lights are on or just constant power at all times. Yes, I know there is a search option on the forum, but I can tell you after reading the posts, that I have been unable to find anyone properly educated in correctly doing this process.

Some people do it a certain way and it dims the stereo or some crap like that. I do not want to go splicing wires unless I know fully that someone has done this without jacking up their car or having bad side effects. Has anyone done this successfully?

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,577 Posts
Yes, search the forums and you will find plenty of threads from people that have done it. You will also find threads from people that have fried their electrical systems too. You will get a ticket driving around with fog lights on with parking lights or no other lights because it is illegal. Don't expect stellar results from the cheap aftermarket fog lights you purchased.

·
Registered
995 Posts
OP, I used the crappy wiring from the ebay fogs and tied the wire from the relay to my parking lights (not the blinker light), unfortunately, the fog lights blink when I lock and unlock my car. I use mine mainly for show and to be more visible, it doesn't help much with light output.

Yes, search the forums and you will find plenty of threads from people that have done it. You will also find threads from people that have fried their electrical systems too. You will get a ticket driving around with fog lights on with parking lights or no other lights because it is illegal. Don't expect stellar results from the cheap aftermarket fog lights you purchased.
Guess that you won't get a ticket if you have DRLs on? Because I drive around with parking lights on with the fog lights on and have never had a problem...had them about 2 years or so...

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,577 Posts
Guess that you won't get a ticket if you have DRLs on? Because I drive around with parking lights on with the fog lights on and have never had a problem...had them about 2 years or so...
Maybe your laws are different in Ohio. DRLs are not low beam headlights. DRLs are low intensity high beams, not the same lamp as the low beam headlight. In CA, it is illegal to drive with only the parking lights on, and in most states, it is illegal to drive with fog lights on without the low beam headlights. Maybe you have been lucky for the past two years. Typically, modifying your head lights in any way is illegal.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Maybe your laws are different in Ohio. DRLs are not low beam headlights. DRLs are low intensity high beams, not the same lamp as the low beam headlight. In CA, it is illegal to drive with only the parking lights on, and in most states, it is illegal to drive with fog lights on without the low beam headlights. Maybe you have been lucky for the past two years. Typically, modifying your head lights in any way is illegal.
Maybe, typically, if you have driven in OH though, you know OSP isn't too lenient :)

I will check it out, but never heard of it before, thanks for the H/U...if it is the case, I will just tie them into my headlight wire like stock does.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How different would eBay fog lights (casings themselves) be any different than a Honda OEM fog? I would imagine the only difference would be how well they are weather protected and maybe the lenses which I have Lamin-X on the for that reason.. Oklahoma cops really do not stress on silly things such as this which is great...

·
Registered
995 Posts
How different would eBay fog lights (casings themselves) be any different than a Honda OEM fog? I would imagine the only difference would be how well they are weather protected and maybe the lenses which I have Lamin-X on the for that reason.. Oklahoma cops really do not stress on silly things such as this which is great...
I can't comment on the OEM ones since I have never seen them, but after a few years, my cheap ebay ones have held up fine, no chips or cracks

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Oklahoma cops really do not stress on silly things such as this which is great...
Denver cops in general are pretty relaxed on stuff like lighting as well

worse thing was seeing a guy w/Red LED's in front headlight, :0l

looked super mean w/tinted headlights but there's a reason Red anything up front is still illegal

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Lamin-X will melt. Started getting burned to a dark brown crisp within 3 weeks or so. Ebay yellow ones? The yellow film inside will flake off also.
melting issues...i was gonna go w/Yellow vinyl since i've never had yellow fogs and thought it'd be a nice change

i opted for HID bulbs too...think its melt it even if its on the outside?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts