Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was reading on oil changes and filter/oil qualities and wanted to do some investigation on my own. Found this website which lists various filters and whats inside. http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

I then decided to check how the OEM Honda filter looks which i had laying around. To say the least it reminded me of the Fram filters which are some of the worst on the market in terms of quality and materials used.

Here is what the Honda filter looks like

I am not sure If I will be using them anymore since every component inside is paper, there are no metal parts that hold everything together like say Mobil 1 or Purolator. I guess you get what you pay for, I only wish I could have cut up a used filter when I had my oil change but totally forgot. I use Penzoil Platinum 5w30 for my k24, I think in the future Ill be using Mobil 1 filters or PurolatorOne.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,914 Posts
It is made for Honda by Fram. It is made to Honda specifications so don't worry about it. A $12 filter is not necessarily four times better than a $3.00 filter.

·
Electro-Motive
462 Posts
I use a Honda A01 filter made by Filtech it's the same price as the A02 made by Honeywell if you can find it and it looks to be a lot better built.

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SD thanks for the tip, I did read that Filtech makes a better quality filter.

RTexas, I understand what you're saying about a 12$ filter but I much rather spend more in a period of 5k miles than suffer the consequence of a filter thats built poorly. You get what you pay for when it comes to quality for a Wix/Mobil 1 filter compared to Fram...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Have you seen a BMW filter or a Mercedes filter or a Porsche filter or any ones that don't take a screw on filter? It's just a paper element, not need for metal.....

·
Electro-Motive
462 Posts
Have you seen a BMW filter or a Mercedes filter or a Porsche filter or any ones that don't take a screw on filter? It's just a paper element, not need for metal.....
Element style filters used in many Euro cars are nothing new, most of my Honda bikes have element style filters, canister filters have only been around since the 50's
Have you ever seen a centrifugal oil cleaning system? It has no filter.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,914 Posts
SD thanks for the tip, I did read that Filtech makes a better quality filter.

RTexas, I understand what you're saying about a 12$ filter but I much rather spend more in a period of 5k miles than suffer the consequence of a filter thats built poorly. You get what you pay for when it comes to quality for a Wix/Mobil 1 filter compared to Fram...

I am in full agreement. The saving grace is that it is built to Honda specs, they have to warranty it so they cannot afford sub par. I always used the Filtech filter on my accord.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
http://www.handa-accessories.com/accmaint03.html

They even mention the demand behind the A01 / Filtech filter in their filter (and 6pk) descrip

great page to bookmark if you plan on getting your hands dirty & don't want to run to the local stealer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I use Honda OEM oil filters, which are purchased on-line by the case. The price is damn reasonable.

Honda must use millions of their oil filters each year, but I never read about a failure caused by a filter.

If, hypothetically, a Honda car under warranty had a lubrication system failure and a Mobil oil filter was installed, I'll bet Mobil and Honda would point fingers at each other. As a consequence, the customer would end up paying for repairs out of their own pocket.

People who disassemble oil filters generally don't know what they are looking at. I would imagine that actual performance/stress testing of the various filter offerings would be more useful than disassembly by a layman.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
The '05 Accord just turned over 81k miles and has always used the OEM honda (made by Fram) oil filters, and I can't say I've seen any downside with using them. OCI's in the 4-5k range, Motorcraft syn blend 5W20 oil used at each change. After the oil change, the oil in the crankcase remains clear and darkens at a normal rate, even when sitting overnight (can be easily seen by checking the dipstick after sitting overnight before you start the car up - any residual dirt left behind because of incomplete filtering would show up even in new oil).

I could possibly understand the concern with a better filter if I were doing (say) 10k OCI's with extended syn oil, but for 5K OCI's, the Honda OEM filters work just fine.

andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts