Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow accord owners, I desperately need your help with my 2017 Honda Accord Sport SE. Only 3 months old, got rear ended with a H/R case.

I choose a Honda ProFirst Certified shop and the owner promised me all OEM parts. But after reading online and hearing stories from friends, I decided to double check my car after repairs were done, I had the car lifted up.

Now, few parts I noticed doesn't add up. I'm not sure if OEM parts have Honda Parts no. etched in them. So, if you can check yours and share pictures, would be a great help.

List of parts replaced:
-Rear Taillights
-Replaced trunk lid
-Replaced rear body panel
-Replaced rear floor pan
-Replaced rear bumper cover, impact bar, etc.

Based on your experience:

1. Do shop provide you with a "itemized invoice" with parts no that was replaced, etc? or just gives you Insurance Estimate documents?

Below are the parts in question so far

1. Rear Bumper Cover: Parts number shown..looks like they just slapped the sticker..as there are long edges around the sticker (which may have been the real sticker?)

2. Exhaust: One seems real other? :/

3. Impact Bar: That's the only number I was able to find :/ but OEM parts no is 71530-T2A-A00ZZ

4. Trunk Lid (Unable to find any parts # on it)

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Maybe OEM but maybe not new as the insurance co. makes that decision. Go back and talk to the body shop, talk with your insurance agent.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
OEM means the part was manufacured by the same company that manufactured original parts. They are not Original Equipment, Honda labelled parts. There is a difference between OE and OEM.

https://www.heeltoeauto.com/what-is...oe-genuine-oem-and-oer-aftermarket-parts.html
I've been doing automotive parts professionally for 35 plus years. I can assure you, when someone refers to an original manufactured part as "OE" or "OEM", it means the exact same thing, at least in my business. :smile

·
cvt - NOT
1,285 Posts
The automotive repair industry, can be a dirty business, depending on the shop you deal with. The auto repair shop should provide you with a itemization of each part, and the billing cost to the insurance company, when the job is completed.

It's not uncommon for a repair shop to bill the insurance company for OEM parts, but use LKQ parts to increase their profit margins---if doing so is possible. As most appraisers aren't going to verify if the parts a repair uses are OEM or LKQ. In most cases, if a car exceeds a certain age and mileage, the insurance company protocol is to use LKQ parts. Unless, the owner is willing to part the cost difference to use OEM parts. And you'll still need to hope the repair shop actually orders and installs OEM parts.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Sorry about your new car. I recently had the rear bumper cover on my '16 Coupe repaired after a parking lot H/R, so I feel your pain. :crying

Unless the shop actually put "OEM parts" in writing on the estimate and on the final bill, this is probably a non-starter. What they "said" doesn't count. But if they wrote "OEM" and you can prove otherwise, you'd have a nice lawsuit...

In my case, the shop put in writing they would attempt to repair my cover in their shop. If it cracked during the process, they would replace it with an OEM Honda bumper cover that was professionally refurbished by a company specializing in that kind of work.

If I had insisted on a brand new OEM bumper cover, the insurance company said I'd have to pay the difference between the cost of a refurbished OEM cover and a new one, ~$150, on top of my deductible. The shop fixed mine and they and the insurance guarantee the repair for as long as I own the car.

Hope you get this squared away and your car is fully restored...

·
Registered
776 Posts
The automotive repair industry, can be a dirty business, depending on the shop you deal with. The auto repair shop should provide you with a itemization of each part, and the billing cost to the insurance company, when the job is completed.

It's not uncommon for a repair shop to bill the insurance company for OEM parts, but use LKQ parts to increase their profit margins---if doing so is possible. As most appraisers aren't going to verify if the parts a repair uses are OEM or LKQ. In most cases, if a car exceeds a certain age and mileage, the insurance company protocol is to use LKQ parts. Unless, the owner is willing to part the cost difference to use OEM parts. And you'll still need to hope the repair shop actually orders and installs OEM parts.
This. I see it all the time. In my area (south Florida) it's rampant. I mean, really out of control because south Florida is ground zero for insurance fraud in this country. It's so bad, the insurance companies don't care. Heck, the more insurance fraud, the better. See, it helps keep insurance rates extremely high. That's why my Wife and I pay almost $5k/yr for just two cars. :0

Reactions: enne

·
Registered
12 Posts
The car was three months old but, how many miles?

My opinion is that a car three months old with low mileage must have new OEM parts installed as replacement.

What we as car owners must learn is to verify the quality of the performed work.

An accident happened to other of our cars. Just a hit on the drivers door when other driver crossed lines. The repair was estimated to be finished in three days.

After three days, we went to pick up the car, but before talking with the person in charge, I gave a "quality control" review of the job. The paint work was excellent, but when I looked at the door from an angle, I saw "waves". The lines of the building reflected in the car surface were distorted.

I told about the issue to the manager who promised me to fix it in two days.

I think the main problem is that auto body shops are hiring non professional workers, I guess they are hiring lots of "me do it" from Home Depots.

I learned lacquer finishing when studying cabinet making in school. I am not an expert about paint finishing but I learned to detect distorted surfaces.

The work was finished after another week, and the same owner had to do the work, because his employees didn't know how to fix their mess.

And the body shop charged to the insurance company a huge amount of money, something we didn't complaint because it was the other driver's fault and that was somebody else problem.

The point is that unfortunately insurance companies want to use the cheaper parts for replacement, and body shops hire non professional workers who rotate from body shop to body shop continually.

"Quality control" is a career and a step in body shop business that is getting extincted. We live in sad times.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
This. I see it all the time. In my area (south Florida) it's rampant. I mean, really out of control because south Florida is ground zero for insurance fraud in this country. It's so bad, the insurance companies don't care. Heck, the more insurance fraud, the better. See, it helps keep insurance rates extremely high. That's why my Wife and I pay almost $5k/yr for just two cars. :0
Wow. We pay a drop under 2K/yr for full coverage, including collision, for our 2 cars.

Reactions: dfwxjer

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Wow. We pay a drop under 2K/yr for full coverage, including collision, for our 2 cars.
No kidding. We don't pay much more than that for ours and that includes low deductibles and rental coverage.

$5k a year for 2 adult driven conservative cars? That hurts!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Are you the one who totaled a fairly new Accord and replaced with a new one? Does this have anything to do with your premium? I pay around 4200/yr for 4 cars 09,14,15,17 with a teenage driver. Premium soared once I told them about the teenage driver. Full glass and 500 deductible. My other kid will start driving in December:headbash:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Are you the one who totaled a fairly new Accord and replaced with a new one? Does this have anything to do with your premium? I pay around 4200/yr for 4 cars 09,14,15,17 with a teenage driver. Premium soared once I told them about the teenage driver. Full glass and 500 deductible. My other kid will start driving in December:headbash:
Yes, unfortunately, that's me. However, my insurance premiums haven't been impacted by the accident because my policy includes accident forgiveness coverage. If I added a teenage driver to my policy, I wouldn't be able to afford insurance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi All,

Just wanted to provide an update, I finally got the shop to clear this out, I was provided with an invoice, the estimate, and all honda OEM parts used, including certificate of warranty. The shop owner reassured me that any problem with the car repairs done will be taken care of. This was my first time dealing with a shop so going forward I definitely know how to go about it in the future. Thanks everyone for your response.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Quite honestly, for some basic body parts like trunk lid or hood, I’m fine with using salvage parts if they were not damaged themselves in whatever led to a car being salvaged. Quite honestly, in part insurance premiums being high is a result of people insisting in only new parts when used/salvaged or perfectly good quality after market are readily available for far less.

I’ve had trunk lids and plastic bumper covers replaced using after market or salvage at times when I’ve been rear ended by someone. As long as the fit and finish is as good as new, I see no reason to insist on OEM parts only, for everything. It’s just needlessly expensive IMO and that in turn drives everybody’s premiums up.

The end result is the quality of the repair. An undamaged salvage trunk or hood once properly primed, color matched and painted by a competent tech will be indistinguishable from OEM new.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts