Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About that time to change the timing belt on my 2014 Coupe. I found an OEM kit on ebay for astonishingly cheap. I typically believe in too good to be true but unsure if anyone else here has had luck.

The only local dealership here is asking about $2,000.00 to change it out. A local shop I used to use is asking $450 if I bring in the parts, or $850 for their OEM replacement parts. I typically try to stay with OEM as much as possible. For reference, they use ABC Auto Parts.

The next closest dealership is about 3 hours away and want $1300

·
8th Gen Believer
3,685 Posts
I just wrote a post on the 8th gen forum about a Continental kit I have on my car. With 45k miles on the kit, the tensioner needs changing. I'm none too happy about it so I include the post as an FYI.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just wrote a post on the 8th gen forum about a Continental kit I have on my car. With 45k miles on the kit, the tensioner needs changing. I'm none too happy about it so I include the post as an FYI.
Is Continental the only manufacture for OEM parts? The ebay listing doesn't say manufacturer. I checked the parts numbers on the Ebay listing and they all match. Just concerned how they are getting the kit for so cheap. The water pump appears to have the Honda stamp but I can't get the picture to zoom on my work computer.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Is Continental the only manufacture for OEM parts? The ebay listing doesn't say manufacturer. I checked the parts numbers on the Ebay listing and they all match. Just concerned how they are getting the kit for so cheap. The water pump appears to have the Honda stamp but I can't get the picture to zoom on my work computer.
I would never consider buying anything from eBay if it sounded too good to be true. When it comes to maintenance and repair on my own car, I use genuine Honda parts. I have assurance that they're the right parts.

·
Super Moderator
12,938 Posts
Search the forum for write-ups on timing belt kits, costs, and which parts should be changed out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the Aisin kit for my 7th Gen from Amazon, OEM parts. Sold the car 100,000 miles later, no issues. Should be the same kit for 9th gen V6.

Aisin TKH-002 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EEYTRE/
This kit on ebay says its OEM - however, it seems to have additional parts than the ASIN (and others on Ebay/Amazon/Majestic)

PCS Timing Belt: 14400-RCA-A01
1PCS Idler Roller Pulley: 14550-RCA-A01
1PCS Tensioner Roller Pulley:14510-RCA-A01
1PCS Water Pump & Gasket:19200-RDV-J01
1PCS Hydraulic Tensioner: 14520-RCA-A01 [Timing Belt Tensioner]
2PCS Front Camshaft Seals: 91213-RKG-003
1PCS Front Crankshaft Seal:91212-5MR-A01
1PCS Serpentine Drive Belt: 38920-RCA-A03

The other kits don't seem to have the Tensioner Roller Puller or the Idler Rolley Pulley. Are these needed? If not, I can get the whole kit through majestic for a little more than what Ebay has, but know its legit OEM.

·
Super Moderator
12,938 Posts
Search the forum for this often asked/answered question.

·
'07 EX-L Navi 6-6 Sedan
213 Posts
Look in the 7th Gen forum, there was a thread started there in the past month that was directly related to these OEM (NOT!) timing belt kits for sale on eBay.
In short, they are fake/not Honda OEM parts, even though the packaging may look like Honda OEM.

Peter

·
Super Moderator
6,074 Posts
Any V6 J-series timing kit on ebay is NEVER OEM when claimed as OEM. I came across several vendors from China when asking questions and you bet they are COMPLETELY FAKE. Because I personally purchased a fake thermostat complete with fake Honda sticker on it. I found out when I went to my local Honda dealer's parts counter. While there, I was told a Honda Odyssey is in the shop for a $5000 engine replacement because the guy purchased a very cheap timing belt kit that blew up the engine days later.

You can find OEM parts on ebay but you better be damn sure what you are looking at and that you know your parts. I have used OEM, Aisin, and fake unused parts in my garage for reference. Just shout if you need identification tips.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ran into the same dilemma about 5 years ago when I had to replace the timing belt on my 2005 Pilot. The cost for parts was ridiculous from the dealer. It was suggested to me from a friend to check Amazon, which I did. I was able to get a kit from them for a little over $200 (compared to $900+ at the time from Honda dealer). I did check the parts against what Honda used and they were all from the same manufacturer. Can I guarantee that they were not imitation, no. But what I can tell you is that they fit perfectly and I had the vehicle for 5 years after I replaced the parts and I had no problem whatsoever. You can always save a little by ordering the parts from a dealer online. (As a side note, I did the replacement myself to save $$$).

·
8th Gen Believer
3,685 Posts
I just put an Aisin kit on my car. Don't buy Continental, and as t-rd said don't buy car parts on ebay they are trash. The $850 price is decent if the kit is OEM or Aisin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Get the Aisin kit. That has the OEM water pump, bearings and pulley. The belt is Mitsuboshi. I've put it on my old '03 Civic and my '05 Odyssey. No issues at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts