Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello dear fellow members, I read on several forums that it is normal for cars to burn oil and that it is considered abnormal only if they burn oil beyond a certain volume per every 1000 miles. But my car isn't burning any oil. Is this normal? I've been checking my oil level diligently before the last 4 oil changes and it always stays at or near the full mark - the same level it was at when the oil was put in. I'm getting worried that my car isn't burning any oil like how others cars are normally doing. Please help. Anybody else has the same problem. Any fixes for this issue. I have 139,000 miles on my car. Can anybody confirm if this is a - "Normally cars will burn oil" or "Normally cars should burn oil" - statement?

Thank you in advance.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,677 Posts
You are worried about your engine NOT burning a lot of oil? You're a funny guy.:lmao: My engine has 113k miles, and still doesn't burn enough that I can tell on the dipstick. Probably too late to worry about it now.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Additional info: I'm the second owner. I don't have any records from the previous owner. I bought it in early 2010 and used only Honda dealer to change oil and filters. Right now, I used synthetic blend Honda 5w-20 for 3 out of the last 4 oil changes and Mobil1 synthetic 5w-20 for the last oil change. Looks like the engine got wrong oils when I was taking it to the dealer for oil changes as I now learnt that some dealers don't use OEM oils and go with whichever oil supplier gives them a better deal on oils. I'm very worried why my car's engine is behaving so abnormally when I thought I was giving it the best care that I possibly can. Please help with any ideas or suggestions to fix this unexpected issue with my engine. Thank you.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are worried about your engine NOT burning a lot of oil? You're a funny guy.:lmao: My engine has 113k miles, and still doesn't burn enough that I can tell on the dipstick. Probably too late to worry about it now.
Thank you for your prompt reply. So, not burning any oil is nothing to worry about? I was thinking normally engines 'SHOULD' burn oil. If it isn't a 'SHOULD' statement, as you seem to suggest, then I'm happy.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,677 Posts
Don't worry, be happy. Your engine, much like mine, is burning small amounts of oil. Just not enough to show on the dipstick. That's a good thing.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, that's great to note. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
As far as I know the 4 cyl models are the ones likely to burn oil in considerable amounts. In any case no need to worry.

·
07 I4 MT coupe
198 Posts
I would say unless you have blueish smoke coming out of your exhaust no need to worry.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all the reassurances. I'm very relieved now :yes:.

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
829 Posts
The V6 motors aren't know to burn oil. The 4cyl motors do. My Accord 6-6 doesn't burn oil either at 132k.

My father has an 05 TSX (auto) with 130k and it takes one quart per 3k.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You cannot be serious... surely you're trolling. Right?
No, I wasn't trolling. I thought normal cars SHOULD burn oil within some 'normal' limits. And so I was concerned, as I don't see any change in the oil level in my engine for the entire oil change cycle.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Even if it was burning, sometimes you wont see smoke because then cat takes care of it.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Even if it was burning, sometimes you wont see smoke because then cat takes care of it.
My cat never did nothing except look cute and kill mice. How can one train such a feline to work on cars? :nuts:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Thank you for your prompt reply. So, not burning any oil is nothing to worry about? I was thinking normally engines 'SHOULD' burn oil. If it isn't a 'SHOULD' statement, as you seem to suggest, then I'm happy.
its like your making a doctors appointment and telling your doctor you are seriously worried that you have not been sick in a long time, and what can you do to start marking yourself sick... at that moment. the look your doctor would give you, is the look a lot of us have had trying to understand why someone would Want a engine that uses oil between changes..

but its all good. be happy your engine is not using oil !

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,677 Posts
I guess I can understand how someone would get confused. People keep saying "burning oil is normal" or "all engines burn oil", and that leads you to believe that it SHOULD burn some oil.
I just thought about something. What if you drive mostly short trips. Could the condensation actually add to the oil level? At least enough to keep the level from going down, from the oil the engine does burn. Or would the condensation/water evaporate, as the engine warms up, even though it's mixed with the oil?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
its like your making a doctors appointment and telling your doctor you are seriously worried that you have not been sick in a long time, and what can you do to start marking yourself sick... at that moment. the look your doctor would give you, is the look a lot of us have had trying to understand why someone would Want a engine that uses oil between changes..

but its all good. be happy your engine is not using oil !
:D I see your point. Sorry for my dumb concerns.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess I can understand how someone would get confused. People keep saying "burning oil is normal" or "all engines burn oil", and that leads you to believe that it SHOULD burn some oil.
I just thought about something. What if you drive mostly short trips. Could the condensation actually add to the oil level? At least enough to keep the level from going down, from the oil the engine does burn. Or would the condensation/water evaporate, as the engine warms up, even though it's mixed with the oil?
Interesting questions. Would love to hear answers from others.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts