Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i get a oil change for my new vehicle, should i go to the dealer or go to the local oil change that comes with a free car wash? Does it really matter where you take your new vehicles? some people told me to bring it to the dealer the first year and some say to just save money and go locally. Since everyone in this forum has experience with their hondas for numerous years this is my first honda ever. Thank you :)!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have my first Honda, so, I can't speak for previous ownership of a Honda.

In my opinion, I think that the first few oil changes and what not should be done by the dealer. This would be to establish a business relationship between you and the service dept. Then, after that, do 'em yourself or take them else where.

I will be having my first oil change done by the dealer. Only because they told me when I bought mine that the first oil change is free. I will be doing my oil changes myself after that.

·
Registered
339 Posts
sometimes the "free car wash" can create swirlies on your car. the dealer where i bought my car used old rags to dry off my car (i saw them as they finished it up) good thing my accord isn't black.

·
First Accord
62 Posts
As I see it, the issue has always been what oil the car wash outfit really uses. I know that many of them buy bulk oil and have pumps pump it up from the back room. Therefore, you never REALLY know what they are pumping in to your crankcase. With these new engines using 0W-? I would kind of hesitate to drop it off just anywhere. At the very least I would have the corner garage prove to me what they are about to dump in the oil fill hole.

I will probably take mine to the dealer for some period and, depending on the cost, I may end up doing it myself.... Nahhh, I'll let the dealer do it.

Just my opinion.
Mark

·
Registered
178 Posts
$9 :dunno:

Isn't it customary to return an uncompleted Honda new car buyer survey to the sales person in exchange for 6 free oil changes?

·
Registered
219 Posts
With the 9 dollar oil change, just be on the lookout for upselling. You know, they will try to sell you new wipers or cabin air filter or some other highly profitable service.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you are not going to do it yourself, you may be better off taking it to Honda express lube during the warranty period. Just in case there is a warranty issue.

One has to be careful with the car washes too. Some can ruin the car's finish.

·
Registered
533 Posts
When i get a oil change for my new vehicle, should i go to the dealer or go to the local oil change that comes with a free car wash? Does it really matter where you take your new vehicles? some people told me to bring it to the dealer the first year and some say to just save money and go locally. Since everyone in this forum has experience with their hondas for numerous years this is my first honda ever. Thank you :)!
If you are not a do it your self person...I would not have jiffy lube or one of those places mess with the car, better to just go to the dealer. They usually run a $25 oil & filter change 'special'

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wow $9?? My dealer charges $39.95!
Sorry for the confusion, I was referencing the post prior to mine which cited $9.

My dealer charges $9 for an oil change... so I'll be going there.

I don't know any dealer that does it for $9.

But, I do get lots of free oil changes when the survey gets turned in. :thmsup:

·
Registered
970 Posts
I just finished myself oil change yesterday with Valoline Full Synthetic and Farm Extra Guard Filter for $26.00. I feel that Quality of motor oil is very important especially if going by MM.

This oil change was 8000miles from last one according to MM.
Maybe I can go even more miles but I go by MM.

Dealer is not under any contract to use good oil.
It can be the Cheapest non synthetic one

Although HONDA is now recommending 0W20 synthetic for all 2006+ models

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks you all for your advices! ya all great help! ima get the first 3 oil change probably at the dealer depending how much they charge! Thanks :)

·
Sugar coating for you ..
6,119 Posts
If you have a good mom and pop lube shop, I'd go there. I've been to Precision numerous times for my previous truck and Accord and have never had problems with them. So it's just personal preference and experience from your local lube shops. I DIY mine now since I ordered Amsoil.

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
With the 9 dollar oil change, just be on the lookout for upselling. You know, they will try to sell you new wipers or cabin air filter or some other highly profitable service.
That's why I started to change my own. Just tired of saying "No...no..no...no."

The breaking point was when they shoved the air cabin filter back, after they took it out, and I said "no." They damaged it.

And I specifically told them ALL I want is an oil change. They will still try to find ways to upsale. It's not about taking care of your car, it's all about the $$$$. It does not matter who they are because they are all the same.

·
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV
3,260 Posts
Luckily my dealership doens't try to upsell often. Even if they do, all I have to say is "no thanks". They also provide free wash after oil change but I usually decline. Their express lube is fast and at $35, I see no reason to go any where else.

·
Registered
54 Posts
warranty

I believe changing your own oil is the best thing you could ever do to your car if you plan on keeping it for more than just a few years, just buy the oil & filter from a honda dealership and save the receipts. its hardly $5-$6 more than the local autostore. to make your decision 100% risk free, buy a torque wrench and tighten the bolt underneath to spec. (I have been tightening it a little over 'hand' tightness for the past ten years on my civic & never had a problem - same thing goes for the oil filter)

but then getting it changed at the dealership is better if you wish to command a slightly higher than average $$$ during resale if you are using only for 2 or 3 yrs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts