Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been researching all over the Internet regarding the oil change mileage and came up with the following conclusions:

1.- Reading all over I understand that Honda recommends 0W-20 oil original Honda or any other Non-Synthetic. p.499 of the manual. Page 503 reads: Change the oil and filter in accordance with the maintenance message on the information display*/multi-information display*. Theoretically it should be 3k to 5k miles depending on your driving conditions.

2.- I will change mine and filter after ‘break in period” 1.5k and go to Mobil1 full Synthetic, why? After reading Mobil oil specs I found that it is the only Manufacturer that warrants it’s oil for 7500 miles. I always used Castrol being of an European mind and Castrol does not warrant oil for the stated mileages.

3.- From what I read in Mobil’s warranty, conditions,* you have to keep in mind that oil change does not only come with mileage, with regular as well as syntech oils and low mileage comes age, non-syntech oil under 3k miles is anywhere as of 3 months. With syntech oil it is 6 months. So maybe it is more economical to use regular good grade oils if like in my case driving is below the 3 or 4k miles on a 6 month period

4.- I would suggest keeping a well documented log of your maintenance in case of a future complaint ( I am one case of not keeping track of maintenance records for my car, just drop invoices etc in a file) I guess that with all the technology involved in our lives we will have to

*(http://www.mobil.com/USA-English-LCW/carengineoils_mobil-super-warranty.aspx)

One last comment I overlooked, I am always talking about 0W-20 for our new vehicles. Anyone that could enlighten my thoughts here I’ll appreciate

·
No lifetime fluids!
1,019 Posts
I offer these recommendations based upon personal experience and that of others on this forum:

-Keep the factory fill in the engine until the Maintenance Minder instructs you to perform an oil change. Your engine is mostly broken in at the factory and changing the FF early will not give you a 300k Honda that everyone tries to achieve (even though they trade it in in 2-4 years). It is also argued that Honda adds a special 'break-in' additive to assist in ring seating.

-When you do eventually change your oil, keep that fill in there until the Maintenance Minder instructs you to change or 1 year. There is no advantage to changing early. Mobil 1 can easily go 8-10k miles. Don't believe that? Look at this 15k run of Mobil 1 0W-20 by 2010_FX on a F150: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3206681/1

-Many modern synthetics and blends can easily go at least 7k.

-All 0W-20 oils are at least synthetic blends. Many argue that they are all synthetic and that the 'blend' moniker is just for advertising.

-Yes keep records, good to know what you used, when you used it and how you used it.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Just follow the maintenance minder and change both the oil and the filter. My first oil change will be free from the dealer. His service advisor advises me that they replace the filter with every oil change and use 100% synthetic 0W-20 oil. There is a maintenance log in the owner's manual to keep track of your maintenance. Personally, I have the dealer change the oil. They give me a discount price of $40. They keep the service records. I don't drive enough miles to require more than one or two oil changes a year. If anything happens to the engine the dealer's service department has the service records to prove the maintanence was accomplished if engine warrantee work is required.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just follow the maintenance minder and change both the oil and the filter. My first oil change will be free from the dealer. His service advisor advises me that they replace the filter with every oil change and use 100% synthetic 0W-20 oil. There is a maintenance log in the owner's manual to keep track of your maintenance. Personally, I have the dealer change the oil. They give me a discount price of $40. They keep the service records. I don't drive enough miles to require more than one or two oil changes a year. If anything happens to the engine the dealer's service department has the service records to prove the maintanence was accomplished if engine warrantee work is required.
+1
I do the same thing. I get free oil changes for first 2 years:banana:, part of my negotiating skills:thmsup: lol. The good thing is, if you sell or trade in the car, Honda has all the records, and they use the correct oil and filters

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
I have been researching all over the Internet regarding the oil change mileage and came up with the following conclusions:

1.- Reading all over I understand that Honda recommends 0W-20 oil original Honda or any other Non-Synthetic. p.499 of the manual. Page 503 reads: Change the oil and filter in accordance with the maintenance message on the information display*/multi-information display*. Theoretically it should be 3k to 5k miles depending on your driving conditions.

2.- I will change mine and filter after ‘break in period” 1.5k and go to Mobil1 full Synthetic, why? After reading Mobil oil specs I found that it is the only Manufacturer that warrants it’s oil for 7500 miles. I always used Castrol being of an European mind and Castrol does not warrant oil for the stated mileages.

3.- From what I read in Mobil’s warranty, conditions,* you have to keep in mind that oil change does not only come with mileage, with regular as well as syntech oils and low mileage comes age, non-syntech oil under 3k miles is anywhere as of 3 months. With syntech oil it is 6 months. So maybe it is more economical to use regular good grade oils if like in my case driving is below the 3 or 4k miles on a 6 month period

4.- I would suggest keeping a well documented log of your maintenance in case of a future complaint ( I am one case of not keeping track of maintenance records for my car, just drop invoices etc in a file) I guess that with all the technology involved in our lives we will have to

One last comment I overlooked, I am always talking about 0W-20 for our new vehicles. Anyone that could enlighten my thoughts here I’ll appreciate
I realize that our cars are our hobbies to some extent, but my friend you need to get a new hobby on this topic. Why people need to waste so much time "researching" and deviating from the Honda recommendations is always beyond me and makes me laugh. For example why you have just decided that it makes sense to change your "break in oil" at 1500 miles. Based on what science or logic? Based on some gut feel? Based on some "guy" on Bob is the Oil Guy who knows better than Honda engineers?

I just think these posts are funny.....that's all. Good luck with whatever approach you take. The funny fact is that none of it will matter in the end! You can do your 1500 change, and then go straight Mobil 1, and your engine will last and last. I can follow the MM and my engine will also last and last. And people who want to "stretch the interval" and ignore the MM because they are "running" synthetic Royal Purple or whatever will also find their engines last and last.

But at least you're having fun! :thmsup:

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have been researching all over the Internet
That was your first mistake.

Also most of us get 7k-10k before the maintenance minder tells us to change oil, not 3-5k (unless you drive almost exclusively in the city). No need to use any special oil with any kind of guarantee to get that mileage.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts

If you are worried about #3 and are going to do #4 then you might as use Quaker State Syn. Engine warranty to 300,000mi and $$$ back when your car hits 300,000mi. See the website for details.

Jay

·
Registered
148 Posts
Try to follow the MM. However, I wouldn't recommend allowing any oil to sit in your engine for more than a year.

I've got less than 2500 miles after 6mths and am at 80% on the breakin oil. If I waited for the MM, I'd end up at 15% in a couple years time. So I'll probably change it in Spring.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Try to follow the MM. However, I wouldn't recommend allowing any oil to sit in your engine for more than a year.

I've got less than 2500 miles after 6mths and am at 80% on the breakin oil. If I waited for the MM, I'd end up at 15% in a couple years time. So I'll probably change it in Spring.
Like you I have a little over 3,000 miles since the first of July and I'm at 60%. I think it will get to 15% in the Spring. Regardless I will change the oil at a year.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Just go by the maintenance minder. Save yourself a ton of money.

·
Registered
884 Posts

When you're ready to sell that car PM me lol.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
When you're ready to sell that car PM me lol.
No, PM me first I'll be JohnnySasakiMGS's offer by $1 :thmsup:
:D :thmsup:

I don't put many miles on my cars and I don't usually keep them long. Not one has lasted 3yrs befre I sold it yet but I'm hoping to set a new record with the accord :lmao:

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Like you I have a little over 3,000 miles since the first of July and I'm at 60%. I think it will get to 15% in the Spring. Regardless I will change the oil at a year.

What is the science behind changing the engine oil at 1 year no matter what, even if only 2000 miles? Curious to know :dunno:

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
What is the science behind changing the engine oil at 1 year no matter what, even if only 2000 miles? Curious to know :dunno:
My guess is that condensation inside the engine will allow water to drip into the oil pan. When you start the engine the water will get into the oil deleting the chemicals additives.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Soot builds up in the oil over time which tends to be acidic in nature when mixed with everything else and can cause some wear on the engine internals. Additionally, there's the increased possibility of sludge build-up and breakdown of the different additives in the oil itself.

The soot build-up is one of the reasons many owners of garage queens/summer only vehicles change the oil right before winter.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'll share my high tech record keeping system. It's really quite sophisticated. I researched on the internet for weeks, spoke with family and friends and then discovered the most amazing infallible system. I'm fairly certain that this will work in all of our cars, be it a sport, LX, EX, even my V6! What I do is take the piece of paper given to me post service (many people I've heard refer to it as a receipt). I carefully fold it into thirds as I've found this to maximize the space and capacity of my filing system. Once perfectly folded, text side in so as to eliminate smudging and future readability I carefully place it in my glove box. I don't know if this is an original idea, but I've found it to be useful over the years. :yes:

·
HA-420
709 Posts
Leave the FF in until 0%.
Drain oil, leave filter alone, refill with cheapest 0w-20.
Run one tank of gas with Chevron Techron fuel additive.
Take car in for A1 service, request HG Ultimate Synthetic.
Done.
Opinions welcome.

Sent from my HTC One

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Leave the FF in until 0%.
Drain oil, leave filter alone, refill with cheapest 0w-20.
Run one tank of gas with Chevron Techron fuel additive.
Take car in for A1 service, request HG Ultimate Synthetic.
Done.
Opinions welcome.

Sent from my HTC One
You forgot to run around the car seven times and bow to the points of the compass each time before filling it with Chevron Techron.:D Why don't you just go to a Chevron station and buy Chevron gas with Techron? Why not just get the oil and filter changed, essentially A1 service with high quality 0w-20 oil? What's with the run a tank of gas on the extra oil change? It sounds like a lot of extra money and effort for nothing. Or, at best almost nothing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts