Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...been a while.

So my 06 4cyl is consuming a lot of oil.

I've measured the consumption and it appears to be consuming about 3+ quarts per 1700 miles. Basically, after a new oil change where the oil level is at the full mark on the stick, it's only 1700 miles before the oil is at the fill/needs oil mark on the stick.

No oil slicks/drips on the drive way, no oil spots on the underside of the vehicle, no plume of smoke out the back.

I have 75k on the engine. Never been any issues with the car before. This consumption started around 10k miles ago and has steadily gotten worse.

Any thoughts, solutions...

I spoke with a Honda mechanic I trust and they said (with the caveat that they need to see it in person) it is likely a problem that will require a replacement engine.

I have an extended warranty which will cover pretty much anything with the engine including replacement, so I'm not terribly worried. I'd just like to know what some of the potential causes for this could be.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Have you checked the coolant to see if there's any discoloration? How's it been running?

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
17,445 Posts
it could be bad rings....

my 99 still burns oil, about a quart every 1200 miles.... sold it to a friend....

i never saw smoke coming out the tailpipe then either, when i still had it. the cat tends to help mask this.

·
Also available in sober.
499 Posts
I thought the difference between full and add on the dipstick is about one quart?
Me too. It sure isn't three quarts.

Even one quart in 1700 miles is not normal.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
If it is actually using that much, you've probably got the worst for a properly running K I've heard of.

Does it run properly, and have the power it always has had?

That much oil, is near a hole in a piston or no oil control rings.

If your warranty does replace it, insist on a new air/fuel sensor, cat and post cat O2 sensor as all that oil will severely poison them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you checked the coolant to see if there's any discoloration? How's it been running?
Yeah the coolant is fine and the car's actually been running fine. No rough idle; nothing out of the ordinary...except for the massive loss of oil of course... ;)

@boba fett

Of course one quart in 1700 isn't good, but it might be worthwhile to redo the test?
Yeah, I've actually been monitoring the oil levels since I first started noticing the issue. If anything, the consumption has gotten worse.

If it is actually using that much, you've probably got the worst for a properly running K I've heard of.

Does it run properly, and have the power it always has had?

That much oil, is near a hole in a piston or no oil control rings.

If your warranty does replace it, insist on a new air/fuel sensor, cat and post cat O2 sensor as all that oil will severely poison them.
Power and all seems fine as far as I can tell. I don't really gun it much, but in the few times I've needed to, it has responded well.

IIRC, the codes I pulled from the car mentioned the O2 Sensor and the cat, so I agree that the parts you mentioned will definitely need replacing.

I have noticed a slight drop in MPG (as in 34ish down to 30ish over a long trip), but at first I figured it was just due to the car getting older in general. Now I'm thinking it may be because of whatever is wrong with the engine (which as you pointed out will affect things like the sensors and such).

·
Registered
231 Posts
The low mark is .5qts low.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Sounds to me like the valve seals have gone kaput. Have you ever used any engine cleaners before? Those contain kerosene which can dry the plastic rubber seals, allowing oil to enter the cylinders

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds to me like the valve seals have gone kaput. Have you ever used any engine cleaners before? Those contain kerosene which can dry the plastic rubber seals, allowing oil to enter the cylinders
I can't speak for the first 36k as it was owned by someone else, but I've never used engine cleaner. Never used engine cleaner in any of my vehicles, and I never plan to.

The only "cleaner" I use is what comes in my gas at Chevron/Texaco.

·
Also available in sober.
499 Posts
IF the first post is accurate, it appears that you are:

1. Mistaking greatly the amount of oil you are losing
2. Ignoring the fact that the low mark on the dipstick is apparently only .5 quart down.

What say you Boba Fett?

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
Valve stem seals would have to be completely missing to cause this kind of consumption.

The car would smoke like hell on a cold start until the cat lights off with all the oil pouring into the cylinders on shut down.

The amount needed when oil level is at lower mark is abt a qt, see the attached pdf.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Valve stem seals would have to be completely missing to cause this kind of consumption.

The car would smoke like hell on a cold start until the cat lights off with all the oil pouring into the cylinders on shut down.

The amount needed when oil level is at lower mark is abt a qt, see the attached pdf.
But it sure is possible, I think if the rings were that bad he would notice a loss in power, it must be the valve seals

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Op, are you putting 3 qt's in when the dipstick reads at the low/fill mark? If you are, that's wrong and is causing more problems.

·
Also available in sober.
499 Posts
Me thinketh the OP are confused.

·
lookin' clean
671 Posts
3 quarts is a lot. is your oil filter on tight?

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,915 Posts
As many have pointed out.........The "add" mark on the dipstick is not three quarts worth of oil. Your estimate of oil usage is flawed.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts