Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 12-14 mos ago a local (well-known) Honda mechanic/shop did major repair. Replaced timing chain/guide/tensioner/etc as it had jumped 3 teeth thanks the well known oil consumption problem that Honda still fails to acknowledge. The shop also claimed the alternator was bad and replaced it as well. Ended up costing me just shy of $2k. About a month ago, I replaced the battery (for the 4th time). Car wouldn’t start just clicking noises. Towed to my local stealership to find out the starter was bad which they replaced to the tune of $540.

The car still burns oil just as it did before the major engine work. Oil pressure light still comes on if I take a turn over 5mph, and I’m constantly checking oil level and adding oil all the time.

Here’s the kicker - I’ve never noticed any visible oil leaks in/on/around/below the engine/garage floor/etc until this past weekend. That’s not to say they weren’t there but I think I would have noticed as it’s quite an eye sore. The pics I took this wknd show what looks like oil everywhere on the left side of the engine block. Can someone confirm this is oil and/or what fluid it is? Is this the same problem all over again? A new problem? Or? I love my Accord but its looking like she may not be holding out the way a Honda should.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive fuel system

Auto part Engine Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

Auto part Engine Vehicle

Auto part Tire Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle

Auto part Vehicle Carburetor Engine Car

·
Registered
4 Posts
The oil leaks on your block is probably due to your valve cover seal going bad. Unfortunately there is no way all the oil you're burning ( got the same god damn problem) is getting all out from the seal. This oil consumption is more likely to be bad piston rings and valve stems seals.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Well, having done major work myself. I'm gonna tell you my story.

My oil light came up on turns as well as sometimes on idle. I replaced the oil pump and all bearings because I noticed some were scratched, did front and rear main seals while I was at it, I haven't seen the light again so far in 3 months. I'm the second owner and apparently the PO had some filthy oil habits.

What does major oil consumption mean? How many miles to burn 1 quart? Mine burns around 1/2-3/4 of a quart every 1000-1200 and that's acceptable to me.

The steps that you can take before undertaking that kind of work:

• Make sure that you're using the correct oil (5w-20 for our cars). If you have switched to a higher viscosity oil due to the consumption chances are this could be the problem.
  • Replace your PCV valve, it's on your first picture, the hose to the right of the PS pump leads right to it. (This wont help with the pressure loss but might with the consumption and it's extremely cheap)
  • Check your oil pressure sender on the left rear part of the engine below the VTEC solenoid, make sure the cable is inserted all the way and the connection is good. I would honestly recommend you replace this as well. It's such a cheap part and would clear so many headaches if this turned out to be the problem.
  • You could have sludge buildup decreasing your oil pressure as well. Check the oil pump screen by dropping the pan. (It would be hard for the mechanics not to notice this when they did the major engine work but it's worth a shot)

Your valve cover seal is leaking. Buy the whole valve cover/Spark plug seal set for around $35 online and replace all of them (Mine had this same leak).

·
Registered
305 Posts
wow..thats scary stuff..
My engine consumes oil magically too..

When the time comes, im just going to swap over to a k24a2 engine..

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,677 Posts
The sprayed stuff I see looks like power steering fluid. Looks like it's coming out of the high pressure hose where it connects to the pump. Looks like it's spraying onto the power steering pulley, then the pulley is flinging it all over the place. I would change the o'rings on both hoses going into and out of the power steering pump.

Reactions: kazhuveri

·
Registered
657 Posts
The fluid looks like PS fluid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The sprayed stuff I see looks like power steering fluid. Looks like it's coming out of the high pressure hose where it connects to the pump. Looks like it's spraying onto the power steering pulley, then the pulley is flinging it all over the place. I would change the o'rings on both hoses going into and out of the power steering pump.
How much would it cost to have the o'rings for the power steering pump replaced by dealer/mechanic? I've replaced batteries, power window actuator, installed power door locks (old SL2)...but thats about as technical as my experience gets.

·
Registered
448 Posts
How much would it cost to have the o'rings for the power steering pump replaced by dealer/mechanic? I've replaced batteries, power window actuator, installed power door locks (old SL2)...but thats about as technical as my experience gets.
Ditto. O-ring is .79 from the dealer and takes two minutes for you to install yourself by simply taking out the two 10mm bolts. Wipe new o-ring with power pump steering fluid when installing. When you inspect the old o-ring it'll be hard and flat, compared to the round and pliable new one.

Here is what it looks like:

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
thanks the well known oil consumption problem that Honda still fails to acknowledge.
?!?! You fail to acknowledge that you should learn to check your oil level:dunno: That sounds impolite, but you need to check your oil level.

Your questions are all about "How much will the dealer charge me to do this?" Why don't you call up a dealer and ask?

People here offered you suggestions- you did not bother to look it up, or to thank/acknowledge any of the above members for doing your research or for giving you sound advice. BLCKFLSH told you to change the o-rings where the two pipes go in/out of the power steering pump. Did you miss that? He did not say change every seal in the power steering pump- just the seals of the two hoses going into/out of the pump.

Did you bother to look up the cost of the o-rings? No. You just asked what a dealer would charge you. My guess is- since you want to remain uninformed, a lot of money. Those o-rings are $1 each and would take you about ten minutes to replace- with a 10 mm socket. You go to a dealer and ask them to do it.....they are gonna tell you you need a new pump for $500 because they like to make money.

Just give your credit card to THE MAN and watch The View in their nice waiting room while they laugh at how easy it is to make $500.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,677 Posts
Pretty easy to change the o'rings, and you don't even lose much fluid at all, if you hold the end of the hoses up while you replace the o'ring. I would place a shop towel under the hose, to catch the little drips of fluid. When finished, I would spray some carburetor cleaner on the mess to clean it up, so you'll know if it leaks again. There is no telling what a dealership would charge, or try to sell you, if you took it to them. If you tell them to change the two o'rings, AND THAT'S IT, they shouldn't charge you more than $50. Good luck

Reactions: kazhuveri

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Good catch on the pressure hose spray, it's a couple of bolts, if you can drive the car you can surely save the labor charge. Each O-ring costs like a dollar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pretty easy to change the o'rings, and you don't even lose much fluid at all, if you hold the end of the hoses up while you replace the o'ring. I would place a shop towel under the hose, to catch the little drips of fluid. When finished, I would spray some carburetor cleaner on the mess to clean it up, so you'll know if it leaks again. There is no telling what a dealership would charge, or try to sell you, if you took it to them. If you tell them to change the two o'rings, AND THAT'S IT, they shouldn't charge you more than $50. Good luck
Thanks for clarifying. Would love to do this myself just a little more cautious then most with engine work I've never tackled before. Thanks again!

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,677 Posts
Here's a video of a guy changing the inlet o'ring. It's on a V6 but you get the idea of how easy it is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts