Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming up on 1 year ownership on our 2013 (4 cylinder) and about 32k miles. Yeah, we drive a lot, almost all freeway miles.

Dealership did 1st oil change so cant comment on that.
2nd oil change did myself at about 17k miles IIRC. Car consumed maybe a cup if that.
3rd oil change (today) at about 32k miles. Car has consumed about 1.7qt.

This kind of oil consumption normal? This is my first accord so not sure what the history is. I know that the DI engine is brand new for Honda.

Hoping to hear this kind of consumption is normal.

I also own a 2006 Ridgeline which has always burned a little oil but never more than .5qt between changes.

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
480 Posts
So if I'm reading that right, you went 15k on the last oil before changing? So that's about .5 qt for every 5k miles which doesn't sound bad to me. I burned about 2/3qt before my first oil change at 6100 miles.

Just curious... how did you determine/measure the 1.7qts that was burned?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Just curious........you're changing oil, on average, every 10.5K miles?

·
2014 CBP CR2 6MT
127 Posts
Every 4 cyl honda vtec engine I have owned consumed oil. This K24 isnt any different and yours sounds totally normal. Come to think of it, my j37 in my MDX does too; a small tradeoff for vtec.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Coming up on 1 year ownership on our 2013 (4 cylinder) and about 32k miles. Yeah, we drive a lot, almost all freeway miles.
Dealership did 1st oil change so cant comment on that.
2nd oil change did myself at about 17k miles IIRC. Car consumed maybe a cup if that.
3rd oil change (today) at about 32k miles. Car has consumed about 1.7qt.
This kind of oil consumption normal? This is my first accord so not sure what the history is. I know that the DI engine is brand new for Honda.
Hoping to hear this kind of consumption is normal.
I also own a 2006 Ridgeline which has always burned a little oil but never more than .5qt between changes.
Thanks for any insight.
My OCI records:
1st Oil Change at 3000 miles - no consumption (5Qt to the full line)
2nd Oil Change at 8000 miles - no consumption (5Qt to the full line)
3rd Oil Change at 15000 miles - no consumption (5Qt to the full line)
4th Oil Change at 22000 miles - no consumption (5Qt to the full line)
5th Oil Change at 30000 miles, - no consumption( 5Qt to the full line)

Maybe your factory break-in oil was not so special. My dad's 06 2.4L with 80k miles consumes no oil. My brother in laws' 03 2.4L with 400,000 miles consumes 1 qt every 5000 miles. He flushed out his factory oil at 1000 miles (so did my dad) then followed OCI of 5000 miles on dyno oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I'm reading that right, you went 15k on the last oil before changing? So that's about .5 qt for every 5k miles which doesn't sound bad to me. I burned about 2/3qt before my first oil change at 6100 miles.

Just curious... how did you determine/measure the 1.7qts that was burned?
I buy the 5qt jugs, mark the level on the jug before filling the engine, then pour the spent oil back into the jug.

Just curious........you're changing oil, on average, every 10.5K miles?
Yeah, usually let the MM run down to 0% and then perform the maintenance.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
Are you saying that you don't check your oil level (and add accordingly) in-between oil changes?

·
Registered
241 Posts
With today's technology close tolerances and special oil, oil burning should not occur. If it does, something is wrong. Slight oil burning might not be a big problem, but it should never be accepted as OK. 50 years ago maybe, but not with 21st century technology. And if the techs say it is normal, I would question their knowledge or honesty.

·
Registered
495 Posts
not to beat a dead horse, but there should be no consumption.

doing them yourself, are you sure everything is tight? i know when i had civics their washers had to be changed every change. are you sure you are not leaking?

imo 15k is a lot for your intervals. even if it does say its good for that. i personally never run over 5k on even pure synthetic. thats just me though.

if all is good i would start getting honda involved.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
If the original poster ran his engine while 1.7 quarts low on oil, that engine will have a very short life. Once you ran it that low you permanently joined the oil burn club.

This thread will quickly turn into the 1000th "Your engine should not burn oil; sue Honda" thread. No kidding....

Every dealership can handle an oil consumption test and evaluate this for you. If you ever notice your oil low, take it in.

The take away here is that you should be checking your oil often and NEVER let it get that low to begin with. There are guys in the 7th Gen forum that are at 300,000 miles plus, they burn oil, but still get 34 mpg on the highway because they check oil and add accordingly.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I buy the 5qt jugs, mark the level on the jug before filling the engine, then pour the spent oil back into the jug.
So, to confirm what others here think you are saying, the oil that you drain out is poured back into the 5-gallon jug and you calculate that there is 1.7 qts. missing? Assuming your calculation is correct, why did you let it get that low?

·
Registered
299 Posts
not to beat a dead horse, but there should be no consumption.
This is incorrect. Every engine, even in our new and advanced Honda, consumes oil. Granted, I can't tell you what is considered a 'normal' amount, but to say that oil level in a 2013/2014 Accord should always remain right at the top mark of the deepstick after thousands of miles is incorrect.

Speaking of which - what's the quantity of oil between the upper and lower marks? IIRC it used to be 1 qt back in the days, but couldn't find any reference to this in the manual.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
normal consumption for the amount of miles between oil changes. oil breaks down - once it breaks down it can slide past oil control rings and be burnt.

in my option you are going far to many miles between oil changes. I don't care what the MM says - stick to a 5,000 mile-7,500 mile max change or 15%, not 5 or 0%.

lemme ask you this out of curiousity - does your car start counting miles past 0%? I can't believe 15k on a single oil change on your MM system at all. I love when I see -9999 miles...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

Yeah, usually let the MM run down to 0% and then perform the maintenance.
That's much too long between changes. I change mine every 5K like an earlier poster mentioned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the input guys.

Yes, 15k seems like a long oil change interval to me too, may consider changing the oil mid interval.

As a number have mentioned, I SHOULD have been more on top of checking the oil level. I was pretty good the first 6 months with it being a new car and all, but once I did the 2nd oil change and saw that almost no oil had been spent I got lazy. :(

Opinions seem to vary as to what is normal for oil consumption. Personally I don't have a problem with a little oil consumption, but 1.7qt seems to be excessive especially for a new car. Maybe not so bad for 15k miles? That would still be almost a quart if I had changed it at 7.5k miles. I'll probably do as suggested and request my dealer do a consumption test.

Oh yeah, car does count negative miles past 0% on the MM. Technically I did the last change at -37 miles.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
I'll probably do as suggested and request my dealer do a consumption test.
Please do....it will document and verify for the future. You have got to get into the habit of making it a weekly or monthly routine (checking oil level) from now on.

My doctor-friend just got a brand new engine in his 2-year old $70,000 piece of junk Audi because the oil consumption was deemed unacceptable after two oil consumption tests.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
^^^ +1 on what he just said. Just get in the habit of doing it every Saturday (or whatever your off day is) and while you're at it check the tire pressure. Save yourself some headaches down the road.

·
Crosseyed and Gearless
298 Posts
personally believe driving style has a lot to do with oil consumption, i don't drive my cars hard and neither my 88 honda, 13 honda, nor 01 maxima burn any observable oil whatsoever. a coworker on the other hand, who drives like a freak, has trouble keeping his topped up. maybe coincidence but i'd guess odds are if you compare driving style to oil consumption you'd see a pattern.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oil usage after first 8000 miles

I have a 2013 I4 that just turned 8000 miles and 80% on oil life indicator. Oil is down about a quarter quart after 8000 miles. Routinely getting 38 mpg to boot....

·
Registered
916 Posts
Do not even think about a consumption test. Your car is very far above the standard for excess consumption - 1 qt every 1,000 miles. They will just tell you everything is fine and will send you on your way.

Couple things.

I would recheck oil on a level area to make sure you filled it properly. If you did not fill oil filter before installing it will take up some of the oil from the sump.

You can't judge by how much oil you throw away because the filter will still hold some oil in the media (up to .2 qts) and you may not have drained every drop out of the engine. Did you check the level before changing? You must do that (and on very level ground).

I had a first gen Odyssey that I thought was an oil hog, but turned out that the crown of the road was enough to make about .7 qt difference when I checked the oil. Lots of little things like this could be the issue. Just check the oil every few thousand miles on level ground, and keep track of it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts