Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am approaching my first oil change per the MM at around 7,500 miles. The A1 service calls for an oil change only. I am curious as to how many people follow this and change their filter every other oil change. It seems that most people who usually follow the manual choose to ignore this one recommendation and change their filter at every oil change.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,137 Posts
I always changed the filter with the oil. My 2004 said to change the filter every other oil change which would be 20K miles. All makers are doing everything they can to show lower maintenance costs. To me the filter is an integral part of an oil change.

·
No Gears, Got CVT :)
550 Posts
I am approaching my first oil change per the MM at around 7,500 miles. The A1 service calls for an oil change only. I am curious as to how many people follow this and change their filter every other oil change. It seems that most people who usually follow the manual choose to ignore this one recommendation and change their filter at every oil change.
Yep. :)

·
Banned
546 Posts
I change mine every 7500 miles when I change the oil. Mobil 1 full synthetic and a Mobil 1 filter. Yes, it's pricey to do that compared to a Fram filter, but after seeing how little sludge my engine has after 160k miles of strictly using that oil/filter combo, I'm not changing anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi AndrewK, We recommend using our Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 motor oil as recommended by Honda. Of course, with an oil change, you should change out your oil in order to remove all the trapped contaminant that was filtered/captured by the filter. Using a good quality oil filter will help your engine oil to perform at optimal condition. - The Pennzoil Team

·
Registered
27 Posts
I only get 4200 to 4400 miles before the MM gets to 5%. I have the oil and filter changed and I go a little overboard and have the tires rotated as well. I only have 12,500 miles on her so far and only 2 oil changes and by rotating the tires they still look as new as when I bought the car. Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 Accord sedan manual says change oil when display tells me but does not state mileage interval for oil change. Now at 7600 miles, still no warning. I'm not comfortable depending on some mysterious software. Why can't I find out a recommended interval?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I love this post! I've been doing the 3000 mile oil changes since I started driving and never had an engine give me any problems. I have three close friends who all own diffrent cars and are 2008 or newer, two are doing oil changes at 7500 with an new filter every other change and the other who owns a VW Jetta goes 10,000 per oil change. The Jetta has 60,000 miles on it and is ready for a new engine. The other two have a bit more miles but they're not too far behind him in needing either a rebuild or new engine. My wifes Hyundai (05 Santa Fe) has 120,000 miles on it and it runs like a swiss watch, it does not use or burn any oil. I find it funny how you can buy into the fact that number one dirty oil is better for the car and two so is a dirty filter.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It was interesting reading, however oil itself might be fine after a few thosand miles but the additive package added to it is shot. Same goes for antifreeze, after 10 years it could still test ok as far as freezing and boiling points but it changes PH levels and starts eating away your cooling system.

Like I said in my other post if what your saying is true, why are people needing rebuild on engines with under 100,000 miles? As for the auto comapnies, they don't make money on oil changes, they make money on car sales and major repairs (out of warranty).

In all fairness extended oil changes can work if your driving meets certain requirments but not here in New York City. A 10 mile trip in stop and go traffic is not the same as a 30-40 mile trip on the highway. Car makers are selling the extended oil changes to everyone, everyone doesn't fit in the same size pants.

·
Banned
905 Posts
I love this post! I've been doing the 3000 mile oil changes since I started driving and never had an engine give me any problems. I have three close friends who all own diffrent cars and are 2008 or newer, two are doing oil changes at 7500 with an new filter every other change and the other who owns a VW Jetta goes 10,000 per oil change. The Jetta has 60,000 miles on it and is ready for a new engine. The other two have a bit more miles but they're not too far behind him in needing either a rebuild or new engine. My wifes Hyundai (05 Santa Fe) has 120,000 miles on it and it runs like a swiss watch, it does not use or burn any oil. I find it funny how you can buy into the fact that number one dirty oil is better for the car and two so is a dirty filter.

You been wasting yer monies then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts