Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone,

I have a 2013 accord ex 4cyl. I have done the oil changed, but the filter oil change make a mess. Do you guys have any ideas or trick to make it less messy or no mess at all.

thanks

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
This just seems appropriate here:

1. Wait until Saturday, drive to the auto parts store. Buy a case of oil, oil filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner (don't forget a little tree air freshener). Write a check to the auto parts store for approximately $50.

2. Stop by 7/11 on the way home, buy a case of beer. Write a check for $20.00.

3. Drive home with oil and beer.

4. Open beer, enjoy it.

5. Spend 30 minutes looking for the jack stands.

6. Find the jack stands (finally) under the kid's pedal car, jack the car up.

7. Open another beer, drink it.

8. Place drain pan under engine.

9. Look for 9/16" box end wrench for drain plug

10. Give up looking ten minutes later, find crescent wrench.

11. Unscrew drain plug.

12. Drop drain plug into pan of hot oil. Splash hot oil onto your hands and face in the process. Cuss and swear.

13. Crawl out from under car, wipe hot oil from hands and face. Throw some kitty litter on the spilled oil.

14. Open another beer while watching the last drops of oil drain.

15. Spend 30 minutes looking for the oil filter wrench.

16. Give up looking for oil filter wrench, crawl under car and hammer a flat-head screwdriver through the oil filter and twist it off.

17. Crawl out from under car, splashing hot oil everywhere from newly made holes in oil filter.

18. Cleverly hide used oil filter in trash to avoid those pesky environmental penalties. Open another beer.

19. Install new oil filter, making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to the gasket.

20. Pour the first quart of new oil into engine.

21. Oops! Now remember the drain plug (removed in step 11). It's still swimming in the now-warm oil in the drain pan.

22. Throw more kitty litter on the quart-sized oil puddle on the floor.

23. Open another beer and drink it.

24. Find drain plug with a minimum of spillage, hand-tighten in drain plug socket. Drink beer.

25. Crawl under car (getting oily kitty litter embedded in neck and arms). Tighten drain plug with crescent wrench, but this time, it's slippery. Bang your knuckles on the frame while tightening drain plug.

26. Throw crescent wrench across the garage in anger. Throw a fit because crescent wrench hits bowling trophy (which wife wouldn't let stay in the house).

27. Open another beer and drink it.

28. Clean hands, bandaging where needed to stop blood flow.

29. Pour in five quarts of fresh oil.

30. Lower car from jack stands. Smile at your handiwork. Open another beer and drink it.

31. Move car back to discover oil puddles you missed; apply more kitty litter to missed areas.

32. Test drive car to make sure oil doesn't leak.

33. Get pulled over a block from the house by local police, get arrested for DUI.

34. Call loving wife and bail bondsman.

35. Next day, get car out of impound yard.

Cost: $50 parts, $20 beer, Impound fee $75, Bail $1500, DUI $2500 minimum. Total $4145 (but you know the job was done right!)

Jay

·
Registered
462 Posts
Wow:scratch::scratch:

·
Registered
330 Posts

1. Wait until Saturday, drive to the auto parts store. Buy a case of oil, oil filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner (don't forget a little tree air freshener). Write a check to the auto parts store for approximately $50.

4. Open beer, enjoy it.

11. Unscrew drain plug.

12. Drop drain plug into pan of hot oil. Splash hot oil onto your hands and face in the process. Cuss and swear.

13. Crawl out from under car, wipe hot oil from hands and face. Throw some kitty litter on the spilled oil.

16. Give up looking for oil filter wrench, crawl under car and hammer a flat-head screwdriver through the oil filter and twist it off.

17. Crawl out from under car, splashing hot oil everywhere from newly made holes in oil filter.

18. Cleverly hide used oil filter in trash to avoid those pesky environmental penalties. Open another beer.

19. Install new oil filter, making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to the gasket.

21. Oops! Now remember the drain plug (removed in step 11). It's still swimming in the now-warm oil in the drain pan.

24. Find drain plug with a minimum of spillage, hand-tighten in drain plug socket. Drink beer.

25. Crawl under car (getting oily kitty litter embedded in neck and arms). Tighten drain plug with crescent wrench, but this time, it's slippery. Bang your knuckles on the frame while tightening drain plug.

26. Throw crescent wrench across the garage in anger. Throw a fit because crescent wrench hits bowling trophy (which wife wouldn't let stay in the house).

30. Lower car from jack stands. Smile at your handiwork. Open another beer and drink it.

31. Move car back to discover oil puddles you missed; apply more kitty litter to missed areas.

33. Get pulled over a block from the house by local police, get arrested for DUI.

Cost: $50 parts, $20 beer, Impound fee $75, Bail $1500, DUI $2500 minimum. Total $4145 (but you know the job was done right!)

Jay
To paraphrase, take it to the dealer/shop and it will be 100% cleaner

·
been around the block
822 Posts

4. Open beer, enjoy it.

11. Unscrew drain plug.

Jay

·
Registered
244 Posts
HI everyone,

I have a 2013 accord ex 4cyl. I have done the oil changed, but the filter oil change make a mess. Do you guys have any ideas or trick to make it less messy or no mess at all.

thanks
I haven't done one yet as i just got it on the 28th, so can't really say how messy it is. On my old car, i used to find a card board or mat place it under and start working. If you are slowly unscrewing the filter, it shouldn't create too much of a mess.

If need be, wait till the pan is fully drained, then pull the bucket under the filter and unscrew the filter over the pan to avoid oil spills.

Worst case, find a local shop that will do it for $10-$15 (you providing the oil) if you like.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
HI everyone,

thanks
Actually on topic, just slightly loosen the filter and let the oil run down the side of it into your drain pan. Once that's calmed down, fully unscrew it and tip it over into the drain pan. Some people punch a hole in the bottom of the filter to drain it.

·
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS
1,369 Posts
Haven't changed the oil on this car yet, but on my other cars, I used a larger sized (gallon) zip lock bag and put the bag over the filter. I loosened the filter slowly with the bag on it, and it would all just drip into the bag. Eventually, the filter would just fall into the bag. Not perfect, but it worked for me.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
When I first read the OP, I thought you have the V6. Upon further reading, you have a 4-cyl. It's one of the easier and cleanest engine to DIY oil change in your garage. You want to talk messy, change oil/filter on the V6!!!

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Haven't changed the oil on this car yet, but on my other cars, I used a larger sized (gallon) zip lock bag and put the bag over the filter. I loosened the filter slowly with the bag on it, and it would all just drip into the bag. Eventually, the filter would just fall into the bag. Not perfect, but it worked for me.
This, and pretty dang close to perfect.

I do the same thing when I check into a hotel. I always bring a gallon zip lock and put the remote control in it.

It was last used by a naked fat man, changing channels, whilst looking at adult movies.

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
The V6 is very clean easy to change, the oil filter is located behind the right tire and has a spout so oil leaking out where the filter was hits the spout and drops in one location. I was impressed compared to my 99 Accord which dumped oil over the exhaust flex joint!

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
The oil filter is directly above the passengers subframe rail on our Odyssey. The oil dumps all over this rail and no matter how much I clean it I still get drips for about a week after the oil change.

Jay

·
Registered
462 Posts
This, and pretty dang close to perfect.

I do the same thing when I check into a hotel. I always bring a gallon zip lock and put the remote control in it.

It was last used by a naked fat man, changing channels, whilst looking at adult movies.
Thanks I'm staying in a hotel right now for work, I just got chills

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi guys..there is a device called "oil reflected" that is used to make your life a lot easier and your drive way a lot cleaner.Handa accessories sells it for $21.95 and it s worth every penny. Is used only for the 2.4 l engine.I used it before and you all love it...

·
Registered
534 Posts
You think the 9th Gen is messy? Clearly you haven't owned a pre-'08 Honda 4-cyl. Accord/CR-V/Civic/Integra. For decades, Honda oil filters were mounted sideways on the back on the engine block. The only way you could get at it (usually while laying on your back under the car) was by reaching over and around the left side half-shaft (axle) while you burned your forearm on the exhaust pipe. As you began to remove the filter, oil -- usually damn hot oil -- streamed down the side of the block, your arm, the exhaust pipe and left-side half-shaft. This was absolutely unavoidable. (If you owned the car, you cleaned the mess off the block, etc. Often, however, the dealers' oil changers didn't. That's where the burning oil smell came from: motor oil cooking on the exhaust pipe.) If you were a quiche-eater, you bought a contraption Honda still sells that fits around the base of the filter and funnels oil from the filter over the axle and into some sort of receptacle. (It works well enough, btw, but you're still stuck cleaning up a mess of a different sort.)

The new design ('08s and up) with its vertical oil-filter mounting is a walk in the park in comparison. Indeed, if I knew who designed the new mounting, I'd have the guy's picture on my mantle surrounded by lighted candles.

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
Hi guys..there is a device called "oil reflected" that is used to make your life a lot easier and your drive way a lot cleaner.Handa accessories sells it for $21.95 and it s worth every penny. Is used only for the 2.4 l engine.I used it before and you all love it...
I have no idea what you meant to say here but I don't think the device is called an "oil reflected."

Could you have meant to say an oil deflector of some kind? :dunno:

·
Crosseyed and Gearless
298 Posts
You think the 9th Gen is messy? Clearly you haven't owned a pre-'08 Honda 4-cyl. Accord/CR-V/Civic/Integra. For decades, Honda oil filters were mounted sideways on the back on the engine block. The only way you could get at it (usually while laying on your back under the car) was by reaching over and around the left side half-shaft (axle) while you burned your forearm on the exhaust pipe. As you began to remove the filter, oil -- usually damn hot oil -- streamed down the side of the block, your arm, the exhaust pipe and left-side half-shaft. This was absolutely unavoidable. (If you owned the car, you cleaned the mess off the block, etc. Often, however, the dealers' oil changers didn't. That's where the burning oil smell came from: motor oil cooking on the exhaust pipe.)
Yep, changing the filter on my '88 Accord was a pain, did it several times a year for 13 years! Filter was mounted horizontally guaranteeing hot oil would drop on everything below it. It was in the middle right near the firewall but for me just barely accessible from the top (after removing IIRC the air filter) with my abnormally long skinny arms. Ahh, the good old days!

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
I have no idea what you meant to say here but I don't think the device is called an "oil reflected."

Could you have meant to say an oil defector of some kind? :dunno:
I think he meant oil deflector.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts