Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Accord with a 4 and you know the mess when changing the oil filter..... My son in law has a 2010 Accord with a 4 and he says the oil filter does not stick straight out like on the 07 anymore. It has a elbow that now has the filter hanging down so when you change it you dont get all of the oil mess as with the 07. My question is that true on the 10 model and if so can the elbow peice be installed on a 07 to make filter changing less messy......

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I have a 2007 Accord with a 4 and you know the mess when changing the oil filter..... My son in law has a 2010 Accord with a 4 and he says the oil filter does not stick straight out like on the 07 anymore. It has a elbow that now has the filter hanging down so when you change it you dont get all of the oil mess as with the 07. My question is that true on the 10 model and if so can the elbow peice be installed on a 07 to make filter changing less messy......
I don't think it will work as the newer 08+ block has no oil filter pad mount on it AFAIK. The 90 deg adapter has mounting flange it bolts too so it won't fit your block .
Do you have clearance for a 90 adapter , nothing below the filter is in the way , like axle or exhaust ?
Only thing I can think of would be to find 90 deg adapter or remote mount filter system , not cheap but would probably work if you could find size .

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
Looks like the deflector is the way to go. Thanks
Do you drink soda? Cut up a 2 liter soda bottle. It's longer, no cost, and flexible. The oil drains directly on the lower control arm for my Ody. The Accord V6 is better.

Honda does it on purpose to make oil change more difficult for DIY guys.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Do you drink soda? Cut up a 2 liter soda bottle. It's longer, no cost, and flexible. The oil drains directly on the lower control arm for my Ody. The Accord V6 is better.

Honda does it on purpose to make oil change more difficult for DIY guys.
I highly doubt that. If they wanted to there are many more inacessible places for the filter to go. The issue is most likely cost; even if only .12 cents are used to make the oil filter easier to change, that's almost $50k for 400,000 Accords.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Its not done on purpose , it is more a issue of FWD layout .
As I said many FWD L4 have this issue. It is because transverse L4 will have a rear frame mount that will get in the way along with exhaust and possible axles , all these things don't happen in RWD L4 . It is just nature of the beast .

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
^^ You are right. I was just taking a stab at Honda. It just seems more difficult now vs the older models, no matter what one wants to do under the hood.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
^^ You are right. I was just taking a stab at Honda. It just seems more difficult now vs the older models, no matter what one wants to do under the hood.
Well in reality we're the ones to blame for that, the more consumers demand technology and power with the caviat of more cabin space, the less room there is in an engine bay lol.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On my 2004 PT Cruiser with a turbo the filter was located on the botom with no mess to change..... I guess that some cars are easy some are a little messy...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
The 08+ 2.4L is very easy and with filter mounted vertical no mess with removal . Its just above drain pan plug .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts