Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a cap-style oil filter wrench, and I'm not sure if our cars use 64 or 65mm (online specs go both ways). I know I could just get the OEM one and not worry about sizing, but it's 4-5 times the price of most aftermarket ones :(

Alternatively, if someone on DA uses a third-party oil filter wrench, can you link the one that you bought?

Thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
Whatever you get make sure you can return it. I haven't had luck with the cap-style tool, so my oil filter changes involve a lot of cursing and remorses for not going to a shop.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You should not be turning it so tight that you need a wrench!

·
Ken
334 Posts
If you're using it to remove a filter then THIS is your tool. If you're considering it for installing a filter then reconsider; tight enough by hand should be adequate.

I have a filter cap and it did absolutely nothing but free spin when I went to do a change on my sister's V6. I had a strap wrench that was equally useless and in the end that locking wrench was the only tool that was able to remove the filter that was apparently tightened by the hand of God during her last service. I highly suggest skipping the filter caps. If you decide to continue with it anyway, a 1mm difference won't make or break you and, in fact, the smaller diameter would probably be preferred.

Also, OEM filters have gotten much flimsier as of late. Looks like they went with Honeywell as the new supplier and they're thin-walled garbage in construction. I have an old Honda Filtech and NAPA gold filter that are great, hefty filters with superb construction. These new filters are disappointing.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,712 Posts
A nice big pair of channel locks work great if you need a wrench to remove the oil filter, who cares what it looks like once you get it off.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
A nice big pair of channel locks work great if you need a wrench to remove the oil filter, who cares what it looks like once you get it off.
+1. Channel lock works with all sizes - versus having to buy different caps when changing filter sizes. I never buy dedicated use tools if I can avoid it.

Note: If in a pickle, punch a hole thru the filter with a screwdriver and use that to twist it off. Messy but it works.

·
Banned
14,429 Posts
in the end that locking wrench was the only tool that was able to remove the filter that was apparently tightened by the hand of God during her last service.
He worked at your dealership too? My God, God gets around! I do my own oil changes now but would have to use the "Drew He-Man" method below after God worked on it.

+1. Channel lock works with all sizes - versus having to buy different caps when changing filter sizes. I never buy dedicated use tools if I can avoid it.

Note: If in a pickle, punch a hole thru the filter with a screwdriver and use that to twist it off. Messy but it works.
I've said it before and I will say it again....I think Drew is 1980's TV heartthrob "MacGuyver". The dude just solves problems with random stuff laying about.

Also, OEM filters have gotten much flimsier as of late. Looks like they went with Honeywell as the new supplier and they're thin-walled garbage in construction. I have an old Honda Filtech and NAPA gold filter that are great, hefty filters with superb construction. These new filters are disappointing.
Interesting....are you saying the two different filters are of different wall thickness? Comparisons always focus on the end caps and drain valves....the last filter I punched through with a screwdriver basically shredded in my hands.....I wonder if that is why?

Reactions: (K)

·
Super Moderator
6,812 Posts
Strap wrench is the best. I still have a cap wrench but one time I made it too tight and couldn't get it off and a strap wrench saved me. You should never tighten with a cap anyway, hand tight is good and it will never leak, using an OEM filter.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
the last filter I punched through with a screwdriver basically shredded in my hands.....I wonder if that is why?
If you're still using the Bosch Distance Plus filters nowadays, those are pretty thick walled. I've never seen a filter burst, but nice to know it won't collapse like a soda can... or bust if a pebble hits it.

I've said it before and I will say it again....I think Drew is 1980's TV heartthrob "MacGuyver". The dude just solves problems with random stuff laying about.
LOL... the screwdriver punch thru is the oldest trick in the book. Learned it from an old old man too.

·
Ken
334 Posts
Yes sir that is what I'm saying. I'm sure it functions according to Honda spec but the material and construction is not to my liking at all. I purchased a few in bulk not knowing this ahead of time and now I'm deeply disappointed by them. They bother me THAT much. Only because I was used to the original Filtech ones which were great, quality-built filters. Removing an overtightened filter with solid construction is a breeze whereas a flimsy filter just collapses and causes paper cuts from flipping through the big book of swears so often.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes sir that is what I'm saying. I'm sure it functions according to Honda spec but the material and construction is not to my liking at all. I purchased a few in bulk not knowing this ahead of time and now I'm deeply disappointed by them. They bother me THAT much. Only because I was used to the original Filtech ones which were great, quality-built filters. Removing an overtightened filter with solid construction is a breeze whereas a flimsy filter just collapses and causes paper cuts from flipping through the big book of swears so often.
You can still buy the Filtech-made A01 filters from a number of online sources, such as College Hills Honda or H and A Accessories.

I've got 8 A01 filters stashed away just in case they stop making them.

Also, the difference between the A01 and A02 is more than just wall thickness. Someone over at the Honda Element forums took apart an A01 and A02 and found that the A01 had 50% more filtering media inside (151 square inches for A01 compared to around 100 for A02).

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should not be turning it so tight that you need a wrench!
I'm only planning to use it to loosen filters that are on too tight, not to tighten them. I know hand tight is enough for oil filters.

The reason I was looking at the cap-style filter wrenches is that I also have a 09 CR-V where the oil filter is on the bottom and there may not be enough space to fit a channel-lock.

·
Registered
249 Posts
So your going to buy a tool to use once? Why not take your belt and wrap it around the filter for leverage... done! No cost and if you put the new one on correctly you should never need to use it again. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,361 Posts

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,712 Posts
Wow, not enough room in that pic for a channel lock? Or is that your Accord......

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,492 Posts
I've been using the same metal red handled swivel strap wrench for a long as I can remember. It's never failed to loosen even the tightest filters. One filter, on my dad's car caved in a little on one side, but it still turned it. Some people (buddy of mine) are too ignorant to figure out how to use this type (don't know which way to flip it or how to get it tight and in position), but if you know how to work the thing it works great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts