Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an observation, but the simple subject of oil seems to dominate so many of our discussions.

What weight, what viscosity, when should I change it, what's the best filter, is OW 20 fully synthetic, does the factory oil have extra moly for break in, can I re-use the crush washer on my filter, is the MM to be trusted etc etc

Did I miss any?

·
Banned
784 Posts
Just an observation, but the simple subject of oil seems to dominate so many of our discussions.
What weight, what viscosity, when should I change it, what's the best filter, is OW 20 fully synthetic, does the factory oil have extra moly for break in, can I re-use the crush washer on my filter, is the MM to be trusted etc etc
Did I miss any?
I had no idea there is a crush washer on the oil filter. Can you tell us more about this as you just discovered something totally new.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
1) Honda oil filters from the Honda parts counter come with a crush washer (for the drain plug!) wrapped in plastic on top of the filter.

2) Do you have your owner's manual? Ever, you know, flipped through it?

3) Search is your friend. What did you learn in your exhaustive research looking at dozens of threads on these subjects?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
How much oil does my car hold?
The engine holds 4.4 quarts but I have no idea how many quarts you can stuff into the trunk, backseat and passenger front seat. :banana:

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
1) Honda oil filters from the Honda parts counter come with a crush washer (for the drain plug!) wrapped in plastic on top of the filter.

2) Do you have your owner's manual? Ever, you know, flipped through it?

3) Search is your friend. What did you learn in your exhaustive research looking at dozens of threads on these subjects?
I bought a couple filters from my dealer, the washers were not in the plastic with the filter. I had to request it separately and pay for it.

Jay

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts

Did I miss any?
I don't think we have issues at all.

If you know anything about engines, you know how important oil is to the life of them.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I bought a couple filters from my dealer, the washers were not in the plastic with the filter. I had to request it separately and pay for it.

Jay
I have reused my crush washers for my 1998 Acura 3.5RL without ill effects.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had no idea there is a crush washer on the oil filter. Can you tell us more about this as you just discovered something totally new.
i bet it was a typo, and meant to type crush washer on oil drain plug

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Original poster realizes too late that he missed a :D off his original post.

My bad.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Crush washers go back along time.....my 1984 Maxima had one, it needed to be changed every time the oil was changed.

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
Crush washers go back along time.....my 1984 Maxima had one, it needed to be changed every time the oil was changed.
That's when crush washers were truly crush washers. Now they're as solid as any other washer and don't collapse at all.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I don't think we have issues at all.

If you know anything about engines, you know how important oil is to the life of them.
Of course we all have issues because we are all discussing our new cars on an internet forum. Most people buy them, drive them and then sell them. :banana:

Without a doubt oil is the life blood of an engine. However, if you by a good brand of the recommended type of oil, check the quantity regularly and change it on schedule what else is there to discuss.

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
Of course we all have issues because we are all discussing our new cars on an internet forum. Most people buy them, drive them and then sell them. :banana:

Without a doubt oil is the life blood of an engine. However, if you by a good brand of the recommended type of oil, check the quantity regularly and change it on schedule what else is there to discuss.
Good points all. :thmsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts