Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda Accord V6 EX-L with Navigation
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So i understand when planning on replacing the compressor we must add the correct amount (or remove depending on whether it was pre filled) with PAG oil. The GDP 6512102 says it has 8oz.
I'm reading 2003-2004 engines takes 5.5 oz for the compressor. Do i just remove 2.5 ozs? Getting a bit confused, especially when i read other a/c components need oil too.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Those are OEM numbers, I would assume the manufacturer of the compressor would put in the correct amount of oil as I assume they require a new receiver/dryer to maintain the warranty.

What you should do is drain the oil from the existing compressor and measure how much was in it. The issue with that is if the system was leaking some of the oil may have leaked out. Then subtract that amount from the total. You need to replace the receiver/dryer which has another 2oz. I think you will be fine with what you have.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2Accordz

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the kit from RockAuto. Besides compressor, it comes with a condenser and evaporator. It said prefilled so I thought I didn’t have to bother with the measurements. Anyway, if it comes with the 8 ounces as the sticker says then seems like I must first drain from 8 to 5.5 and then minus some more to match what was drained from old.
By the way, the high side valve is leaking. I hear it when removing cap and when holding my finger over it. So there goes out some more oil....

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Are you replacing all those components of the AC system? Replacing the service valves is not hard at all. Do not believe that the cap will hold the pressure, it will not.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan to replace the compressor & condenser. Maybe the evaporator. Not sure yet. Yeah, the valve seems easy enough.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
O.k. so the new compressor (GDP 6512102) when drained totally had 125ML (around 4.23 Fl Oz). I did turn the a/c clutch to make sure it all came out. The old a/c compressor clutch was seized so i couldn't turn it. No oil came out from it. There was hardly any freon in the lines as there is/was a leak. I found the high side valve hissing when i had taken manifold measurements. New valves are now installed. So going back to the oil. Since there is no freon, i take it no oil as well. Do i just fill it back up to 160ML (5 1/3 Fl Oz)?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
@LoganSan My interpretation of the instructions and what you've done so far is that you should add 110 mL of oil to the new compressor. I don't think going to 160 mL would hurt either. I would not assume that the refrigerant leak caused you to lose all of the compressor oil in the system. If the leak was near the service valve, you wouldn't have lost compressor oil that's sitting in the condenser, evaporator, or other parts of the system.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. At this point I have no oil in the new compressor and plan to put 160ml. I’m replacing the condenser and probably the evaporator. I’ll plan to add oil for those as well. I’m waiting to get some new pag oil that has the UV in it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While waiting to get the pag oil with UV, i decided to not waste a day and replaced the condenser. I didn't add any oil to it. How critical is it to do that? I could try to disco the upper refrigerant connection on the condenser and add it there.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I had to replace my condenser. That's why I know about this oil stuff. I would suggest you disconnect one of the lines and add the 25 mL of oil like the instructions say. I used a medicine syringe to measure the oil precisely. You should be able to find one at any pharmacy.

From what I can tell you haven't filled the system with refrigerant yet, so there's no harm in undoing the line, adding the oil, then connecting the line again.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had to replace my condenser. That's why I know about this oil stuff. I would suggest you disconnect one of the lines and add the 25 mL of oil like the instructions say. I used a medicine syringe to measure the oil precisely. You should be able to find one at any pharmacy.

From what I can tell you haven't filled the system with refrigerant yet, so there's no harm in undoing the line, adding the oil, then connecting the line again.
Hi Derass,

Right, I haven’t filled the system with refrigerant yet. Good idea on the syringe, but now that I looked over the doc, I see I have to add oil to the receiver dryer as well. Looks like I’ll be pulling the new condenser out. It shouldn’t be too bad since I did it with the old one. I’ll pick this back up on Sunday. Have a good evening.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts